Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A big NO to Motlop being in any trade.
I can't quite get a read on what you are saying, is it one player and pick or two players and pick?
Admittedly I'm not a Motlop fan, haven't been for quite a while and totally understand that that's not common amongst our supporter base.

And 2 picks is what I'm referring to.

Imo a bid for Ben is shaping up closer to the mid 30s mark which accounting for the discount should be matchable with our 2nd and 4ths for both Ben and Lucas.

Trading into the first round to take 2 bites at some really high quality players in this year's top 20 would be my go. Lindsay, Travaglia, Berry, Armstrong, Langford... I expect a couple of them will fall to that 10-15 range.
Trade a F1, I don’t see how trading a top 15 player for an untried kid, helps us win a premiership next year.
Fully in favour of trading a F1 to get in again. My view of potentially trading a player is that sometimes a lesser player can provide better output depending on what the team needs. Kennedy is a very good player, far better than David Cuningham or Lachie Fogarty... But I'd also much rather either of them playing half forward than Matt Kennedy because their skill set is more suited for the role whereas Kennedy is only there due to a lack of rotations on ball.

All the players I listed are generally outside players with scope to move inside in the future, but they provide high speed run and elite ball use by foot. Dishing off an Owies or Kennedy type to package up with our first round pick so we guarantee securing one of them is something id consider.

We have too many square pegs trying to fit in round holes right now. Going 1 step back to go a few steps forward isn't something I'd be opposed to, but imo all of those prospects would provide significant impact year 1.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just nuts and sick of seeing the same issues hold back the group re a significant lack of speed and foot skills across the field.

Fully in favour of trading a F1 to get in again. My view of potentially trading a player is that sometimes a lesser player can provide better output depending on what the team needs. Kennedy is a very good player, far better than David Cuningham or Lachie Fogarty... But I'd also much rather either of them playing half forward than Matt Kennedy because their skill set is more suited for the role whereas Kennedy is only there due to a lack of rotations on ball.
I agree with this but am worried about trading away AFL quality midfielders as we have very little cover in this area, if we were to move on a senior player, the d hope we’d add a senior replacement as well as any draftees.

I’m also not sure Kennedy would be the player I’d consider moving on, but I think we are carrying a few too similar midfielders, if we were to move on a player I’d prefer Williams, Carrol, Owies, Hewett.
All the players I listed are generally outside players with scope to move inside in the future, but they provide high speed run and elite ball use by foot. Dishing off an Owies or Kennedy type to package up with our first round pick so we guarantee securing one of them is something id consider.
Assuming we pick at 18, are any of your targets likely to be there?
We have too many square pegs trying to fit in round holes right now. Going 1 step back to go a few steps forward isn't something I'd be opposed to, but imo all of those prospects would provide significant impact year 1.

Who knows? Maybe I'm just nuts and sick of seeing the same issues hold back the group re a significant lack of speed and foot skills across the field.
I agree on the square pegs analogy and I’m open to moving some players on to target areas of need but, we don’t need to go backwards to go forwards, bring in a FA or trade for a player of need, ideally a FA defender, target a Acres, Hollands, Ginnivan type and attack the draft with what’s left.

Targeting a free agent like Kolodjashni would allow us to be super aggressive at the draft but if we have to trade for this need, it will limit our options.

I agree with this but am worried about trading away AFL quality midfielders as we have very little cover in this area, if we were to move on a senior player, the d hope we’d add a senior replacement as well as any draftees.

I’m also not sure Kennedy would be the player I’d consider moving on, but I think we are carrying a few too similar midfielders, if we were to move on a player I’d prefer Williams, Carrol, Owies, Hewett.

Assuming we pick at 18, are any of your targets likely to be there?

I agree on the square pegs analogy and I’m open to moving some players on to target areas of need but, we don’t need to go backwards to go forwards, bring in a FA or trade for a player of need, ideally a FA defender, target a Acres, Hollands, Ginnivan type and attack the draft with what’s left.

Targeting a free agent like Kolodjashni would allow us to be super aggressive at the draft but if we have to trade for this need, it will limit our options.
I think all those I listed will be available anywhere from around pick 8-20. It's a very very even draft in the top 20.

I can see a team reaching for Travaglia or Armstrong if they're after a running tall half back or an X-Factor KPF but could just as easily see them being available at our first pick. I think a pick around 11-14 would be enough to definitely secure one of them.

I think all those I listed will be available anywhere from around pick 8-20. It's a very very even draft in the top 20.

I can see a team reaching for Travaglia or Armstrong if they're after a running tall half back or an X-Factor KPF but could just as easily see them being available at our first pick. I think a pick around 11-14 would be enough to definitely secure one of them.
At what seems to be quoted as 187 cm, do you see Travaglia as a third tall or a Newman replacement?

Thank you. 8 cms short of Blakey. Time for the rack.
Yeah Blakey is a freak to have his pace and skill at his height. I see Travaglia ending up through the middle of the ground, he's played some forward and midfield minutes outside of the champs and has excelled in both, seems to find a way of impacting wherever he is on the ground.

Yeah Blakey is a freak to have his pace and skill at his height.
Being under 85 kgs also helps... he might be tall but he's not really having to haul around any more weight than most quicker midfielders.

Would you consider this to be a deep draft?
It does feel a little deeper without the top end talent it seems.
Not a 2017 draft which was loaded with top end talent.
Often drafts are best with hindsight, you look at the likes of Twomey, Draft Central, eDPS, Pie 4 Life.... many of those names that often have plenty of insight into a draft and their rankings have many differences.

You could create a mock draft at the moment and put any one of ten names and nobody would blink an eye.
Smillie, FOS, Ashcroft, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Reid, Armstrong, Smith, Langford....
I know the Dockers will not keep all their picks, but their hand could be huge.
Opium trying to not derail the other thread.

It does feel a little deeper without the top end talent it seems.
Not a 2017 draft which was loaded with top end talent.
Often drafts are best with hindsight, you look at the likes of Twomey, Draft Central, eDPS, Pie 4 Life.... many of those names that often have plenty of insight into a draft and their rankings have many differences.

You could create a mock draft at the moment and put any one of ten names and nobody would blink an eye.
Smillie, FOS, Ashcroft, Draper, Lalor, Lombard, Reid, Armstrong, Smith, Langford....
I know the Dockers will not keep all their picks, but their hand could be huge.
Opium trying to not derail the other thread.

Spoke to someone who is an avid draft watcher earlier today. They said similar. The top end of the draft isn't quite there but there's a pool of 25-30 players who in a typical draft would expect to be drafted between 10 and 20.

They believe this is why Twomey didn't have either Camporeale in the top 30 in his rankings recently. It's not that they're not in the mix it's that the mix is larger than usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am appreciating various insights by many in this thread. Given the seeming more 'evenness' across potential draftees, whilst the general rule in early picks is 'best available', would this be a year where perceived 'list needs' for say future years, will also more shape what clubs will pick?
I'm really intrigued as to how this year will play out, but it seems to me that irrespective whom we get with our first pick (which I assume we'll keep) will be a good addition...

I am appreciating various insights by many in this thread. Given the seeming more 'evenness' across potential draftees, whilst the general rule in early picks is 'best available', would this be a year where perceived 'list needs' for say future years, will also more shape what clubs will pick?
I'm really intrigued as to how this year will play out, but it seems to me that irrespective whom we get with our first pick (which I assume we'll keep) will be a good addition...
Needs may well shape it, but also you would assume that the recruiters will rank players differently, so 'best available' may just be different depending on the club.

We’re very keen on Jesse Datolli
Interesting if true. Very capable small forward, but also has credentials on a wing. Would be high half forward type who can hit the scoreboard. Is on my list of those I have an interest in, very much dependent on where Ben ends up.

Looks like a second rounder in all likelihood, but this draft is going to bring some “crazy” calls

Interesting if true. Very capable small forward, but also has credentials on a wing. Would be high half forward type who can hit the scoreboard. Is on my list of those I have an interest in, very much dependent on where Ben ends up.

Looks like a second rounder in all likelihood, but this draft is going to bring some “crazy” calls
Hopefully not that crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back