• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, I am not sure who will be around at our pick.

Draper - Explosive pace and ball winner, 100% what we require.
Travaglia - Attacking HBF'er that has potential to move into the midfield, think Rivers
Lalor - Stringer style forward/midfielder
Lindsay - Gulden (Slightly concerned Lindsay is a little like Hollands with a smaller tank but a better kick)

Those would be some people around the mark that I would hope we would consider.
Berry feels like just a step below these names.

If we could trade a future first to move back into the first round, I would not mind a combo of one of those names and Berry.

Draper and Berry combo would be elite, along with Ben.
This is a unique draft class it seems. Our board usually brings a range of opinions, but most of those I regard as serious watchers are pretty much in agreement, despite it being such an even rated group.

I have Draper at the safest number one, and certainly of the higher rated bunch, Lalor has the X-factor potential.

Our pick? Yeah toss a coin Lindsay or Berry? Both should add close to instant upgrade in areas of perhaps greatest need.

The unquestionable long term need is a key defender. There are enough options, that I believe we can get a good one with a second or third round pick. I lean to Clancy Dennis as having the most upside and quite failsafe, while maybe being less hyped than others. O’Farrell, M.Whitlock, possibly Mraz and two primarily forwards, who both have had recent defensive auditions, in Shanahan and Faull are all options I could live with.(Still a possibility Lemmey is more defender than forward)

I would love to somehow manufacture a second pick in the range to get both Lindsay and Berry, but even our future first may not facilitate that. Then we have the issue that our NGA is likely to present us with Tyson Gresham (brother of) and Jack Ison, who are both shaping as excellent prospects next year. Underager Gresham recently made the Rookie Central team of the week as an underage small forward with 25 possessions. Ison listed at 189cm, but reportedly already taller may grow to key position size, but even if he doesn’t is a defensive leaning utility in the upper echelon of underage talent coming through.

The following year is Cody Walker, likely generational mid, the likely successor to Crippa in the guts. On top of the Camporeale boys this year, we likely have the next generation of midfielders lined up for us.

The future is bright. We need to be cognisant of what is on the horizon. The future possible/probable bankers need to shape this year’s targets. The AFL drafting rule alterations may well become a godsend with us finally getting NGA bounty x 2. Cody will cost big time, but will be worth it. Our future first and second rounders will be gold.

This is a unique draft class it seems. Our board usually brings a range of opinions, but most of those I regard as serious watchers are pretty much in agreement, despite it being such an even rated group.

I have Draper at the safest number one, and certainly of the higher rated bunch, Lalor has the X-factor potential.

Our pick? Yeah toss a coin Lindsay or Berry? Both should add close to instant upgrade in areas of perhaps greatest need.

The unquestionable long term need is a key defender. There are enough options, that I believe we can get a good one with a second or third round pick. I lean to Clancy Dennis as having the most upside and quite failsafe, while maybe being less hyped than others. O’Farrell, M.Whitlock, possibly Mraz and two primarily forwards, who both have had recent defensive auditions, in Shanahan and Faull are all options I could live with.(Still a possibility Lemmey is more defender than forward)

I would love to somehow manufacture a second pick in the range to get both Lindsay and Berry, but even our future first may not facilitate that. Then we have the issue that our NGA is likely to present us with Tyson Gresham (brother of) and Jack Ison, who are both shaping as excellent prospects next year. Underager Gresham recently made the Rookie Central team of the week as an underage small forward with 25 possessions. Ison listed at 189cm, but reportedly already taller may grow to key position size, but even if he doesn’t is a defensive leaning utility in the upper echelon of underage talent coming through.

The following year is Cody Walker, likely generational mid, the likely successor to Crippa in the guts. On top of the Camporeale boys this year, we likely have the next generation of midfielders lined up for us.

The future is bright. We need to be cognisant of what is on the horizon. The future possible/probable bankers need to shape this year’s targets. The AFL drafting rule alterations may well become a godsend with us finally getting NGA bounty x 2. Cody will cost big time, but will be worth it. Our future first and second rounders will be gold.

Great write up

After our horrid run the past 5 weeks has got me thinking of Hardwick or Leppitsch comments whilst at Richmond in regards to recruiting.

If they can’t run and can’t tackle, we wouldn’t look at them, Hardwick made it clear that Skill was secondary to tackling and fitness.

Now I don’t think that means you ignore skill but I really hope we ignore players who don’t have a hard edge.

Too many of our players have skills but can’t tackle, can run but can’t tackle or just simply aren’t rough enough.

Who ever it is, we need Mongrels

After our horrid run the past 5 weeks has got me thinking of Hardwick or Leppitsch comments whilst at Richmond in regards to recruiting.

If they can’t run and can’t tackle, we wouldn’t look at them, Hardwick made it clear that Skill was secondary to tackling and fitness.

Now I don’t think that means you ignore skill but I really hope we ignore players who don’t have a hard edge.

Too many of our players have skills but can’t tackle, can run but can’t tackle or just simply aren’t rough enough.

biggest mongrel is the head coach who was born with it but doesn't coach or talk like him

Your post made me think of Tom Gross. Not sure if you’ve noticed him but hes a bit of a rugged type. 180cm forward midfielder who attacks the ball, good in a contest and kicks the odd goal. Could add some real spark to the forward half of the ground. Does need to clean up his kicking a little. His style of play makes me think ex bulldog player Liam Picken or maybe a lesser version of wardlaw.

I’m really interested to see his results at the draft camp. As a 180 cm player his speed/agility/endurance combination needs to be very good.

Could be a good second round pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah Nah.

I think he’s pretty quick

View attachment 2077597
I would’ve never predicted that. Much like when I have seen JSOS in the top 5 quickest in the ground or when Stoker was regularly in the fastest players on the ground.
I have never looked at Motlop once on field and thought he was quick.

I would’ve never predicted that. Much like when I have seen JSOS in the top 5 quickest in the ground or when Stoker was regularly in the fastest players on the ground.
I have never looked at Motlop once on field and thought he was quick.
After seeing those Motlop speeds I thought I’d look at the GWS game where I thought their run and speed killed us so was interested to see players like Daniels, Jones, Bedford etc.

Top 5 fastest on the field
Cripps
Himmelberg
Kennedy
Walsh
Saad

Your post made me think of Tom Gross. Not sure if you’ve noticed him but hes a bit of a rugged type. 180cm forward midfielder who attacks the ball, good in a contest and kicks the odd goal. Could add some real spark to the forward half of the ground. Does need to clean up his kicking a little. His style of play makes me think ex bulldog player Liam Picken or maybe a lesser version of wardlaw.

I’m really interested to see his results at the draft camp. As a 180 cm player his speed/agility/endurance combination needs to be very good.

Could be a good second round pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
He reminds me of Dean Rice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After seeing those Motlop speeds I thought I’d look at the GWS game where I thought their run and speed killed us so was interested to see players like Daniels, Jones, Bedford etc.

Top 5 fastest on the field
Cripps
Himmelberg
Kennedy
Walsh
Saad
Top speed is not the speed we're lacking. We lack acceleration and agility.

Just like Sam Frost chased down Jack Petruccelle, you'd never find a supporter saying Frost is faster than Petch in general.

Motlop and Cripps, Kennedy, JSOS etc may have good top speeds but are treacle paced off the mark which is what's needed to get separation from their opponents up forward.

Players in this draft like Draper and Berry have genuine explosive acceleration and agility. That's the type of trait we're after.

Just like Sam Frost chased down Jack Petruccelle, you'd never find a supporter saying Frost is faster than Petch in general.

Motlop and Cripps, Kennedy, JSOS etc may have good top speeds but are treacle paced off the mark which is what's needed to get separation from their opponents up forward.

Players in this draft like Draper and Berry have genuine explosive acceleration and agility. That's the type of trait we're after.
Quick feet is the buzzword atm

Loved having players like Yarran and Garlett who had incredible acceleration and agility as well as top speed. Just gives you so many more options.

Defenders/Forwards that are worth considering if we have some second round picks
Tauru, Gerryn, Shanahan
Those are some names that sometimes a drifting on peoples lists. Three different players but all have traits I like in a tall player.

Defenders/Forwards that are worth considering if we have some second round picks
Tauru, Gerryn, Shanahan
Those are some names that sometimes a drifting on peoples lists. Three different players but all have traits I like in a tall player.
Have not seen enough in Tauru to embrace the hype.
As mentioned earlier, big fan of Shanahan as a likely swingman. Could defend but love his work rate and presentation forward.

Gerreyn has me intrigued. If he steps up just a little, and has the right mindset, he could be “the next Buddy”. Don’t see enough to get a good enough read, but there is something about him… Not game enough to declare him, but just a vibe.

A couple of movers in Twomey’s latest ratings. Langford and Armstrong heading up in the ranks.
If we miss the finals, Lalor and Trainor become feasible for us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back