• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So far, Austin has been a downgrade on SOS and this will be a make or break year for him.
If we finish mid table next year or without at least a preliminary final berth, he'll be gone IMHO.
His biggest wins so far have been Cowan, Ollie, Boyd, who's not even utilized to his full capabilities, and Lord, who still has a way to go before he'll impact at AFL level.
Motlop will be fine if he can get his body right.
You can’t really compare the two in drafting.
If someone offered every pick Austin has taken to the draft or pick 1, they would take the pick 1 which SOS had two of. SOS had something like 11 first rounders to 1 under Austin.

ATM the only SOS non first rd pick who is a walk up start best 22 is TDK and possibly Owies.
JSOS, Cottrell around the mark but probably not.
Austin you could argue Boyd and Cinc at best.
Around the mark Cowan and Motlop.

Either way only TDK is a vital player from 9 years of drafting outside of the first round. It’s not great.
(Time still for the Motlop, Wilson etc drafts)

So far, Austin has been a downgrade on SOS and this will be a make or break year for him.
If we finish mid table next year or without at least a preliminary final berth, he'll be gone IMHO.
His biggest wins so far have been Cowan, Ollie, Boyd, who's not even utilized to his full capabilities, and Lord, who still has a way to go before he'll impact at AFL level.
Motlop will be fine if he can get his body right.

There were a lot of failures under sos. Apart from an amazing 2015 it was very poor.

Austin has been trying to plug all the holes that were left behind with far fewer draft picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There were a lot of failures under sos. Apart from an amazing 2015 it was very poor.

Austin has been trying to plug all the holes that were left behind with far fewer draft picks.

2015; Weitering, McKay, CC, DC, JSOS
= well played down the spine
2016; SPS, ZF, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr
= complete bust
2017; Dow, LOB, TDK, Schumacher, Garlett
= another bad showing bar TDK
2018; Walsh, Stocker, Finbar, BSOS
= Walsh a given but gives up pick# 1 2019. Strikes out again.
2019; Kemp, Philp, Ramsay
= jury out on BK and another on the perennially injured list in Philp.
A lot of wastage there. Would have saved giving up future picks had we got our selections correct on the initial drafting.
Hindsight drafting.
Noted that we had one of the highest number of players drafted elsewhere this round with 11. Some clubs going at +/-5. Enter exhibit A^^^

2024 = get it right please…

2015; Weitering, McKay, CC, DC, JSOS
= well played down the spine
2016; SPS, ZF, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Kerr
= complete bust
2017; Dow, LOB, TDK, Schumacher, Garlett
= another bad showing bar TDK
2018; Walsh, Stocker, Finbar, BSOS
= Walsh a given but gives up pick# 1 2019. Strikes out again.
2019; Kemp, Philp, Ramsay
= jury out on BK and another on the perennially injured list in Philp.
A lot of wastage there. Would have saved giving up future picks had we got our selections correct on the initial drafting.
Hindsight drafting.
Noted that we had one of the highest number of players drafted elsewhere this round with 11. Some clubs going at +/-5. Enter exhibit A^^^

2024 = get it right please…
What a wasted talent SPS was. Felt like he was destroyed by poor coaching and development. That 2016 draft was absolutely putrid from us though, 2018 outside of Walsh was a disaster too.

Probably a fair point too. Still like to see some more impact though

You can’t really compare the two in drafting.
If someone offered every pick Austin has taken to the draft or pick 1, they would take the pick 1 which SOS had two of. SOS had something like 11 first rounders to 1 under Austin.

ATM the only SOS non first rd pick who is a walk up start best 22 is TDK and possibly Owies.
JSOS, Cottrell around the mark but probably not.
Austin you could argue Boyd and Cinc at best.
Around the mark Cowan and Motlop.

Either way only TDK is a vital player from 9 years of drafting outside of the first round. It’s not great.
(Time still for the Motlop, Wilson etc drafts)

Austin did trade two of our first rounders out for established players, because the list was left in a position to be able to start adding such players.

What a wasted talent SPS was. Felt like he was destroyed by poor coaching and development. That 2016 draft was absolutely putrid from us though, 2018 outside of Walsh was a disaster too.

SPS wasted himself, I just cannot get my head around his refusal to find a target outside 20m away and say that was what the coaches were asking him to do

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Should be looking to get 3 picks between picks 10 and 18 imo.

Armstrong, Berry and Lindsay are the 3 id be focusing on in that range. Maybe Hotton also.

But to do this we need to trade a significant player but why shouldn’t we I say? We need a major injection of youth and there’s no time like the present imo

Priority for me is:

Sid Draper - class of his own, next to no chance we can get him at pick 10 but a man can dream.

Joe Berry - the next best thing, electric small forward with super pace, skill and goal kicking nous.

Tobie Travaglia - Will Day 2.0, can blitz the field with his run, good in the air, decent kick, courageous as anything and not afraid of winning the ball in close. Will start behind the ball which would unlock Cowan to to up the field.

Taj Hotton - Not sure who I'd compare him to, David Cuningham if he ever came good? Silky goal kicking mid fwd

Lindsay - Runs hard, good at winning it at the coal face and is imo the best kick in the draft. Excellent skill and decision making.

Harry Armstrong - X factor key forward, bit of a Charlie Curnow type player in that he can turn a game on it's head in 5 minutes, but also can be largely invisible at stages too.

Harry O'Farrell - Just a very solid KPD, decent skills, fast, athletic, good decision maker. Not going to be a year 1 wonder, will need to bulk up for a while and work on his one on one craft.

I think we must trade in to get a double chance at this draft before the Campo twins bid. A combination of any of the 2 above will set us up so well for the future finally getting some elite young talent back through the door thats complimentary to our list needs.

If we don't trade for a player and don't trade into this draft to load up on next year I'll be extremely disappointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Austin did trade two of our first rounders out for established players, because the list was left in a position to be able to start adding such players.

Or he had to, after seeing the state of the list.
A large block of recent draftees and trades hadn’t come on and we really needed some AFL quality players.

Who do you think will be our best pick for a point of difference player that can play round 1?
To be honest, I am not sure who will be around at our pick.

Draper - Explosive pace and ball winner, 100% what we require.
Travaglia - Attacking HBF'er that has potential to move into the midfield, think Rivers
Lalor - Stringer style forward/midfielder
Lindsay - Gulden (Slightly concerned Lindsay is a little like Hollands with a smaller tank but a better kick)

Those would be some people around the mark that I would hope we would consider.
Berry feels like just a step below these names.

If we could trade a future first to move back into the first round, I would not mind a combo of one of those names and Berry.

Draper and Berry combo would be elite, along with Ben.

We have known that for the last 3 years we have lacked leg speed and Austin has not done anything to rectify that problem

We have known that for the last 3 years we have lacked leg speed and Austin has not done anything to rectify that problem

In terms of drafting he took hollands and binns as runners in 2022 to add run to the team.

Last year he probably drafted the best mover in the draft in Wilson. Excellent speed and agility.

In terms of trading he brought in Saad, one of the quicker players in the AFL.

Saying he’s done nothing is wrong. Whether he could have done more l don’t know. Maybe. He is trying to dig us out of a deep hole though that was created before his time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back