• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at the Hawks, it is not like they've added amazing players but they've added some key pieces and improved.
Massimo and Ginni were not seen as star players but they've been great.

If we add another Elijah to our list, get a little luckier or better managed with our injuries we're close to a flag.

Decided to take a stab at how the draft may go after the obvious trades with Richmond, Freo etc go through. Not sure what GCS do with pick 6 though... Feel like it may be overs for Rioli but a Lombard bid could come anywhere between 3-15 imo so have just left it there for now.

Richmond our only real threat to a Berry acquisition if the trades go through as expected imo.

1: Rich - Jagga Smith
2: North - Finn O'Sullivan
3: Brisbane - Levi Ashcroft (Matched)
4: West Coast - Josh Smillie
5: Adelaide - Sid Draper
6: Gold Coast - Leo Lombard
7: Melbourne - Sam Lalor
8: St Kilda - Harvey Langford
9: Essendon - Harry Armstrong
10: Rich - Murphy Reid (Traded from Fremantle)
11: Rich - Luke Trainor (Traded from Fremantle)
12: Carlton - Joe Berry
13: West Coast - Bo Allan
14: Rich - Jobe Shanahan (Traded from GCS)
15: GWS - Tobie Travaglia
16: WBD - Taj Hotton
17: Rich - Xavier Lindsay (Traded from Fremantle)
18: Essendon - Isaac Kako (Matched)
19: Sydney - Kayle Gerreyn
20: Sydney - Hamish Davis
21: Rich - Matt Whitlock (Traded from GCS)

Decided to take a stab at how the draft may go after the obvious trades with Richmond, Freo etc go through. Not sure what GCS do with pick 6 though... Feel like it may be overs for Rioli but a Lombard bid could come anywhere between 3-15 imo so have just left it there for now.

Richmond our only real threat to a Berry acquisition if the trades go through as expected imo.

1: Rich - Jagga Smith
2: North - Finn O'Sullivan
3: Brisbane - Levi Ashcroft (Matched)
4: West Coast - Josh Smillie
5: Adelaide - Sid Draper
6: Gold Coast - Leo Lombard
7: Melbourne - Sam Lalor
8: St Kilda - Harvey Langford
9: Essendon - Harry Armstrong
10: Rich - Murphy Reid (Traded from Fremantle)
11: Rich - Luke Trainor (Traded from Fremantle)
12: Carlton - Joe Berry
13: West Coast - Bo Allan
14: Rich - Xavier Lindsay (Traded from GCS)
15: GWS - Tobie Travaglia
16: WBD - Taj Hotton
17: Rich - Matt Whitlock (Traded from Fremantle)
18: Essendon - Isaac Kako (Matched)
19: Sydney - Kayle Gerreyn
20: Sydney - Hamish Davis
21: Rich - Jack Whitlock (Traded from GCS)

I like it, Tigers would be thrilled with Trainor at 11. I do like the approach for them where they get some KPP in early to start their rebuild, similar to what SOS did in 2015. This should hopefully steer them clear of Berry, as don't think hes the type you build the foundation of your rebuild on, rather one you bring in towards the latter end as they can impact immediately and benefit from playing in a better team.

I definitely think Berry will be there if we want him should we be knocked out before the prelims.

I like it, Tigers would be thrilled with Trainor at 11. I do like the approach for them where they get some KPP in early to start their rebuild, similar to what SOS did in 2015. This should hopefully steer them clear of Berry, as don't think hes the type you build the foundation of your rebuild on, rather one you bring in towards the latter end as they can impact immediately and benefit from playing in a better team.

I definitely think Berry will be there if we want him should we be knocked out before the prelims.
Luckily for us most of the teams around our mark likely won't be in the market for a small forward with their first pick. As I said though, Tigs the only one I'm a bit iffy on given they're losing Bolton.

If we can somehow manage to get Travaglia, Moraes and the campo boys then it will be a great haul. Moraes reminds me of Rozee and Travaglia is like a Whitfield clone. Both take the game on and don’t mind getting amongst it either. High workrate from both and just play with great energy. I’ve had a look at most of the other players in those ranges and they all seem like job doers but I think we need to draft some players with some character and self confidence.

If we'd got Aleer via trade already?

Yes.
It sounds like Aleer will stay for at least another year, but even if we can get him, I think we should still bring in another tall defender.
Perhaps not full KPD height, maybe more a Gov replacement (Tauru?). Especially seeing as Kemp might be forward more.

Reportedly staying at GWS for another year until his contract expires.
I watched the Giants game yesterday. He’d be an elite volleyball player based on those defensive spoils. Stats were modest but McKay got off the leash when he was sitting on the bench.

How do the Giants do it? They have Taylor, Buckley and Himmelberg and then this guy waiting for his opportunity. He looks likely. Let’s hope patience isn’t one of his strong virtues.

I watched the Giants game yesterday. He’d be an elite volleyball player based on those defensive spoils. Stats were modest but McKay got off the leash when he was sitting on the bench.

How do the Giants do it? They have Taylor, Buckley and Himmelberg and then this guy waiting for his opportunity. He looks likely. Let’s hope patience isn’t one of his strong virtues.
They don't ignore the position or preference list cloggers.

If we get 2 picks in before the Ben bid, I would hope that 1 is a tall defender.
I just hope that one is a tall. We shouldn't be drafting 18 year olds based on immediate needs, IMO. Having said that, drafting one that can play both ends might be the best outcome, even if he settles in the forward-line long term.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am bias because I've got my favourites in this draft and get a bit of tunnel vision when I do so, but I would think our long term prosperity relies more on adding some speed, class and run into this side than it does KPP atm?

Realistically Weiters, Mckay, Curnow, TDK should have around another 5-6 years old footy in them. Any KPP we pick now is going to struggle breaking into the team during that time unless they're a 2nd KPD (Which by all reports we're targeting a mature option this off season as its an immediate need)

Who's likely to play more games over the next 4-5 years? A quality flanker with the traits we've identified as a need or a KPP who will take at least 2-3 years to get their bodies up to scratch and then be stuck behind our current spine for a few years after that?

I'd be trying to bring in KPD via trade and a KPF prospect in the next draft or two as long term replacements for H and Charles and going hard on quality flankers in this one.

I am bias because I've got my favourites in this draft and get a bit of tunnel vision when I do so, but I would think our long term prosperity relies more on adding some speed, class and run into this side than it does KPP atm?

Realistically Weiters, Mckay, Curnow, TDK should have around another 5-6 years old footy in them. Any KPP we pick now is going to struggle breaking into the team during that time unless they're a 2nd KPD (Which by all reports we're targeting a mature option this off season as its an immediate need)

Who's likely to play more games over the next 4-5 years? A quality flanker with the traits we've identified as a need or a KPP who will take at least 2-3 years to get their bodies up to scratch and then be stuck behind our current spine for a few years after that?

I'd be trying to bring in KPD via trade and a KPF prospect in the next draft or two as long term replacements for H and Charles and going hard on quality flankers in this one.
I always respect your perspective but IMO continuing to kick the can puts a firm end date on any window of contention.
Ruckman, flankers & pockets can usually be secured more readily and at a lower cost than your premium positions.
KPD is an immediate need as we presently have 1 reliable option that'll be playing next season as a 27 yo & we arguably don't have the assets to secure a long term, ready made option, as KPP come at a premium. Now is the time to be looking for someone that can partner with & then carry the can from Weiters.
I'm not suggesting to ignore a Berry etc to reach for a KPP but if they're ranked similarly, it has to be a consideration IMO.

few gems in this draft I'm liking

I always respect your perspective but IMO continuing to kick the can puts a firm end date on any window of contention.
Ruckman, flankers & pockets can usually be secured more readily and at a lower cost than your premium positions.
KPD is an immediate need as we presently have 1 reliable option that'll be playing next season as a 27 yo & we arguably don't have the assets to secure a long term, ready made option, as KPP come at a premium. Now is the time to be looking for someone that can partner with & then carry the can from Weiters.
I'm not suggesting to ignore a Berry etc to reach for a KPP but if they're ranked similarly, it has to be a consideration IMO.
Hypothetically speaking we find a good young KPF in Shanahan or Faull etc... what's to say they wouldn't just request a trade out in a few years time because they're stuck behind 2 of the best KPFs in the competition?

Not saying we shouldn't do it but imo it's a fine balance when you're picking young KPP to take over from generational talents like Charlie, Weiters and Harry

Richmond look like that have so many picks in the top 30. Wow, better go all in now before Tassie come through.
The challenge will be developing them in a side that wins 2 games a year. Hard to see them being better in the next couple of years with them trading out 3-4 top 10 players on their list and 4-5 premiership players retiring.

Hypothetically speaking we find a good young KPF in Shanahan or Faull etc... what's to say they wouldn't just request a trade out in a few years time because they're stuck behind 2 of the best KPFs in the competition?

Not saying we shouldn't do it but imo it's a fine balance when you're picking young KPP to take over from generational talents like Charlie, Weiters and Harry
It depends if they can go back or not.
There's plenty of room to play in the backline. Highly likely that post trade week we'll have 2 true KPDs and 3 3rd tall defenders (if we're counting Kemp) in total.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back