• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The challenge will be developing them in a side that wins 2 games a year. Hard to see them being better in the next couple of years with them trading out 3-4 top 10 players on their list and 4-5 premiership players retiring.
Yep. All the pundits tell the tigers to go all in and in their next segment berate the Roos for their inability to be competitive.

As if their isn't a correlation.

Not even the most remote possibility unless you want to trade out a gun player for it.
Don't think its a great draft to be trading up in either, all my North mates are hoping they split the pick because they'd rather 2 bites of the cherry given the even spread of talent this year.

Hun
CARLTON
Indicative Draft Order: 11, 31, 62, 65, 69, 85
Carlton will draft on talent rather than positional needs with its first pick, but there are players around the mark that suit their list profile. With Adam Saad and Nic Newman both over the age of 30, the Blues can look for some top-end talent to add rebound. The likes of WA’s Bo Allan and Bendigo Pioneers prospect Tobie Travaglia could be available, with Travagalia having played two games for Carlton’s VFL side. He offers running power and ball use that can have an immediate impact for the Blues. They have taken Lachie Cowan and Billy Wilson in recent years, but Allan and Travaglia are a class above and have the potential to go through the midfield at the next level. It appears unlikely Luke Trainor would be available at pick 11, but the 194cm interceptor would be hard to pass up for the Blues if he is still there. The likes of Harry Armstrong Jobe Shanahan and the Whitlock twins could appeal to develop under Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay. Joe Berry is one of the best small forwards on offer in the open draft, while electric Essendon academy goalsneak Isaac Kako would be a perfect fit — and it would be fitting for the Blues to spoil the party for arch-rivals Essendon by bidding on him.

Hypothetically speaking we find a good young KPF in Shanahan or Faull etc... what's to say they wouldn't just request a trade out in a few years time because they're stuck behind 2 of the best KPFs in the competition?

Not saying we shouldn't do it but imo it's a fine balance when you're picking young KPP to take over from generational talents like Charlie, Weiters and Harry
Certainly, if that occurs though with a bit of luck & decent development, you'd be selling high.
I was more specifically referring to a KPD though where we presently have a gaping hole & nothing developing beneath.

Bucky (My Blue Heaven) had Austin and Co, at a recent Cannons game watching O'Farrell..

O'Farrell makes sense, a KPD whose dad gets our players off at the tribunal (our lawyer)…

Would O'Farrell be a likely first or second round option?
Second round most likely, potentially later. Highly rated defender early in season. Injured through most of season. Recently returned and has been playing forward. Results OK forward, but kicks for goal like a defender. Would not discount being intentionally played out of position given the family connection to our club.

If it is a choice of Berry or O'Farrell then I will side on O'Farrell as I believe that he will play early in defense alongside Weitering.
It looks like we have small forward options coming in the next couple of years so we have the op to see how Motlop develops over the preseason alongside Durdin and Williams.
That is not a fast combo but Russell has another preseason to get them working in concert with Charlie and Harry.

I really like Berry and I want both.

Bucky (My Blue Heaven) had Austin and Co, at a recent Cannons game watching O'Farrell..

O'Farrell makes sense, a KPD whose dad gets our players off at the tribunal (our lawyer)…

Would O'Farrell be a likely first or second round option?
I think he fits between a late first to a mid table second round draft pick, he is one amongst a handful that I’d like the club to pick up if we have a second draft pick before Ben is available…

If it is a choice of Berry or O'Farrell then I will side on O'Farrell as I believe that he will play early in defense alongside Weitering.
It looks like we have small forward options coming in the next couple of years so we have the op to see how Motlop develops over the preseason alongside Durdin and Williams.
That is not a fast combo but Russell has another preseason to get them working in concert with Charlie and Harry.

I really like Berry and I want both.

O farrell is very lightly built. I’m not sure he would play early. When l look at him l see him needing a couple of years of physical development.

Cal twomey doesn’t have him in the top 30.

I would have real queries on whether ofarrell would develop the build required to be an afl key defender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I always respect your perspective but IMO continuing to kick the can puts a firm end date on any window of contention.
Ruckman, flankers & pockets can usually be secured more readily and at a lower cost than your premium positions.
KPD is an immediate need as we presently have 1 reliable option that'll be playing next season as a 27 yo & we arguably don't have the assets to secure a long term, ready made option, as KPP come at a premium. Now is the time to be looking for someone that can partner with & then carry the can from Weiters.
I'm not suggesting to ignore a Berry etc to reach for a KPP but if they're ranked similarly, it has to be a consideration IMO.

Drafting a young key defender probably won’t satisfy an immediate need.

There’s every chance a key defender draftee won’t play much afl in first 2 years. Sometimes it’s around the 4 to 5 year mark they start to look afl standard. And that’s assuming you’ve picked a good one.

I think Carlton has to find a key defender via trade or draft mature age. Maybe could draft one with late pick to develop in reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O Farrell looks like a stick figure. I’m not sure he would play early. When l look at him l see him needing a couple of years of physical development.

Cal twomey doesn’t have him in the top 30.

I would have real queries on whether ofarrell would develop the build required to be an afl key defender.

I don't. Building muscle isn't hard. If that's he's only negative we should be picking him.

196cm
Athletics background so is quick for his size.
Beautiful field kick from what I've seen.
Aerially very capable also.

Tick tick tick if he gets to pick 31 and we haven't had to match a bid.

I don't. Building muscle isn't hard. If that's he's only negative we should be picking him.

196cm
Athletics background so is quick for his size.
Beautiful field kick from what I've seen.
Aerially very capable also.

Tick tick tick if he gets to pick 31 and we haven't had to match a bid.

Plenty of guys don’t develop the build and if they do it takes a long time. To draft ofarrel you would want to be sure he has a broad frame to grow into or else he will end up under sized.

Plenty of guys don’t develop the build and if they do it takes a long time. To draft ofarrel you would want to be sure he has a broad frame to grow into or else he will end up under sized.

Frame is important but it's not a dealbreaker when building size. Plenty of talls with small frames can make it in the AFL. E.g. Hipwood, Amiss, Marshall, King twins.

Frame is important but it's not a dealbreaker when building size. Plenty of talls with small frames can make it in the AFL. E.g. Hipwood, Amiss, Marshall, King twins.

Firstly none are key defenders.

Hipwood and kings are 200cms aren’t they. Tall with high reach. Bit different. They also quite often struggle on stronger bodied key defenders.

Marshall(port Adelaide)and amiss are lighter mobile forwards.

You just can’t make a player into whatever size you want. Most key defenders have a strong build with good core strength and know how to use it. Ofarrell is lightly built which means there is greater risk he doesn’t develop as required. He might but there’s the higher risk he doesn’t.

Last edited:
Firstly none are key defenders.

Hipwood and kings are 200cms aren’t they. Tall with high reach. Bit different. They also quite often struggle on stronger bodied key defenders.

Marshall(port Adelaide)and amiss are lighter mobile forwards.

You just can’t make a player into whatever size you want. Most key defenders have a strong build with good core strength and know how to use it. Ofarrell is a stick figure which means there is greater risk he doesn’t develop as required. He might but there’s the higher risk he doesn’t.

Your point is moot anyway because he actually does have a wider frame than you're implying.

He's skinny yeh, but he's frame is average. Just because you can't picture him with 5kgs + of extra muscle doesn't mean he can't put it on.

It'll be easy, this isn't a hill anyone should die on.

Your point is moot anyway because he actually does have a wider frame than you're implying.

He's skinny yeh, but he's frame is average. Just because you can't picture him with 5kgs + of extra muscle doesn't mean he can't put it on.

It'll be easy, this isn't a hill anyone should die on.

You’ve obviously got the measurements, is he standing next to you ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drafting a young key defender probably won’t satisfy an immediate need.

There’s every chance a key defender draftee won’t play much afl in first 2 years. Sometimes it’s around the 4 to 5 year mark they start to look afl standard. And that’s assuming you’ve picked a good one.

I think Carlton has to find a key defender via trade or draft mature age. Maybe could draft one with late pick to develop in reserves.

I'm still OK with that, if anything it makes it a more pressing need, 4-5 years is looking toward the post-Weitering years.
You don't blow high value picks for the then & now, ideally you're locking in key pillars long term.
Realistically we require 2x KPD, 1 plug & play option & a developmental prospect.

You can generally get small forwards & flankers at any point in the draft, KPP not so much.
That said, someone like Berry projects as a nice addition to the squad.
Continuing to ignore our KPD stocks though is problematic.
They've began to hold far more currency in the draft recently. Most of the best young small forwards have been relatively high draft picks of late.

Funnily enough a lot of KPDs have began coming from failed KPFs and later picks.

To me our front half game is still my biggest concern going forward, a stop gap KPD shouldn't be that hard to find even if it's only for a few years at most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back