• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am bias because I've got my favourites in this draft and get a bit of tunnel vision when I do so, but I would think our long term prosperity relies more on adding some speed, class and run into this side than it does KPP atm?

Realistically Weiters, Mckay, Curnow, TDK should have around another 5-6 years old footy in them. Any KPP we pick now is going to struggle breaking into the team during that time unless they're a 2nd KPD (Which by all reports we're targeting a mature option this off season as its an immediate need)

Who's likely to play more games over the next 4-5 years? A quality flanker with the traits we've identified as a need or a KPP who will take at least 2-3 years to get their bodies up to scratch and then be stuck behind our current spine for a few years after that?

I'd be trying to bring in KPD via trade and a KPF prospect in the next draft or two as long term replacements for H and Charles and going hard on quality flankers in this one.
But good luck trying to pick a good KPP when Tassie are getting a bunch of concessions.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

But good luck trying to pick a good KPP when Tassie are getting a bunch of concessions.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Doing anything when Tassie come in is going to be tough. Would rather us pick players who are going to help in the next few of 2-3 years than in 5-6 when our windows closed.

Just personal preference though really, can argue for or against both ways.

Bucky (My Blue Heaven) had Austin and Co, at a recent Cannons game watching O'Farrell..

O'Farrell makes sense, a KPD whose dad gets our players off at the tribunal (our lawyer)…

Would O'Farrell be a likely first or second round option?
Also showed footage of O’F getting concussed in a pretty minor incident. Given the current climate it is a worry to me

Doing anything when Tassie come in is going to be tough. Would rather us pick players who are going to help in the next few of 2-3 years than in 5-6 when our windows closed.

This is totally why you have such a short term view.

Our window should not be closed in 5-6 years time. We need to build a side for sustained success, like Geelong and the Swans have done. They are both utilising mechanisms we are still putting in place, but we can absolutely do the same. Our coterie groups have the ability to offer somewhat similar to the surf coast real estate benefactors at the cats. Our future has a significant list of father-son and NGA prospects in coming years who promise to at least partially keep us ahead of the draft for the next 5-6 years, if we are acquiring good players for another 5 or 6 years minimum, that takes a window out at least ten years.

Generation next is a requirement. Sensible recruitment to fill gaps on the list now and projected for at least those six years is ESSENTIAL.

I understand why you want an upgrade of our small forwards, but what we have, even after possible/probable exits of Owies, Cuningham and Martin is sufficient to compete providing they play to potential.

We need to stabilise Corey Durdin’s shoulders and we need to put a bomb up young Motlop, but they are enough when we add in the pressure and link work of Fogarty and the x-factor and connection a fit Zac Williams brings. Matt Cottrell at his best is a solid piece at high half forward, Fantasia has some credentials and the likes of Doc, Cinc, Elijah even possibly Boyd and Binns have potential to do a job forward.

They complement arguably the best key forward pairing in the competition and two third talls who supply above average pressure in Kemo and JSOS. Then there is Moir who has given us a taste of his potential in a couple of cameos. he could well add the X-factor you crave as a medium or perhaps third tall.

The most pressing need of this draft and trade period is to sort our key defensive structure for the immediate and medium term future.

Small forwards, midfield pace and precision as well as the next generation of defenders to follow Saad and Newman are required, but less pressing than the key defender requirement.

Drafting does go hand in hand with trading

Way I see it, we have 3 areas of need, priority being KPD, speed in and on the fringes and athletic 3rd tall

Over the next 3 drafts, we have access to the Camp twins, Jack Ison, Cody Walker

Hence, priority being KPD/tall defender

Delist S Durdin, Marchbank, Akuei. Target a draftee

Trainor (think he slides, but not because of his ability), Whitlock, or O'Farrell. Then look at a mature age KPD at another club, McDonald type if Young just can't hold down KPD

3rd tall. Look at drafting Langford, Allan, Hynes

Speed. Travaglia, Moraes, Marshall, Dattoli, Berry

Footskills/IQ, Lindsay

Way I see it, we have 3 areas of need, priority being KPD, speed in and on the fringes and athletic 3rd tall

Over the next 3 drafts, we have access to the Camp twins, Jack Ison, Cody Walker

Trainor (think he slides, but not because of his ability), Whitlock, or O'Farrell. Then look at a mature age KPD at another club, McDonald type if Young just can't hold down KPD

Footskills/IQ, Lindsay

What about Tyson Gresham next year?

This is totally why you have such a short term view.

Our window should not be closed in 5-6 years time. We need to build a side for sustained success, like Geelong and the Swans have done. They are both utilising mechanisms we are still putting in place, but we can absolutely do the same. Our coterie groups have the ability to offer somewhat similar to the surf coast real estate benefactors at the cats. Our future has a significant list of father-son and NGA prospects in coming years who promise to at least partially keep us ahead of the draft for the next 5-6 years, if we are acquiring good players for another 5 or 6 years minimum, that takes a window out at least ten years.

Generation next is a requirement. Sensible recruitment to fill gaps on the list now and projected for at least those six years is ESSENTIAL.

I understand why you want an upgrade of our small forwards, but what we have, even after possible/probable exits of Owies, Cuningham and Martin is sufficient to compete providing they play to potential.

We need to stabilise Corey Durdin’s shoulders and we need to put a bomb up young Motlop, but they are enough when we add in the pressure and link work of Fogarty and the x-factor and connection a fit Zac Williams brings. Matt Cottrell at his best is a solid piece at high half forward, Fantasia has some credentials and the likes of Doc, Cinc, Elijah even possibly Boyd and Binns have potential to do a job forward.

They complement arguably the best key forward pairing in the competition and two third talls who supply above average pressure in Kemo and JSOS. Then there is Moir who has given us a taste of his potential in a couple of cameos. he could well add the X-factor you crave as a medium or perhaps third tall.

The most pressing need of this draft and trade period is to sort our key defensive structure for the immediate and medium term future.

Small forwards, midfield pace and precision as well as the next generation of defenders to follow Saad and Newman are required, but less pressing than the key defender requirement.
Believe it or not I do have a long term view of the list... It's just my opinion that down the track our best option of prolonging our 'window' is to reinforce the midfield and flanks with elite talents and build towards a more small ball style line up like Collingwood, the Swans, Hawthorn and GWS have done in recent times.

We'll have elite midfield talents in Cody, Walsh, Cerra, Lord and the Campo twins going into the future, so we then have to ponder at how best to build around them.

Its my opinion that replacing Curnow, McKay, Cripps and Weitering while competing for a premiership aiming to finish top 4 the next 4-5 years will be nigh on impossible with the draft picks available to us in that range. When you add to that the introduction of Tassie + all the draft concessions that will come their way I just don't see it at all being doable without some enormous amounts of luck. Finding 3 quality KPP with mid-late first rounders would take a genuine miracle.

Thus I'd like to stack our flanks with talent to maximize the rest of the primes from Curnow, McKay, Cripps, Weiters in the short term, but still be there as critical components once they're gone. Young KPPs would only be there to replace those players, flankers would be there to compliment them in the short term and be equally as valuable going into the future.

But really, overall for me the priorities this off season are probably similar to you and many others. From the little whispers we do hear it's similar to that of our recruiting team ATM too.

1 - Trade for a ready to go 2nd KPD to play in 2025
2 - Draft/trade for some speed and class on the outside (Mid/HBF/HFF/Wing)
3 - Draft development KPP for the future
4 - Match bids on Campo twins

Anyway clearly we have slightly different opinions on some things, but I'm not one to try and say I'm definitely correct and you're definitely wrong... I enjoy discussion in this thread and love the draft community in general.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My argument would be that very good KPPs are tough to find/draft, and good Mids are abundant.
Any good KPPs on our list that aren't getting a game are going to be good trade currency anyway.

I guess my vote goes towards adding foot speed/run to the team before drafting a young key defender. Ideally would like to use first two picks on adding run. Would understand if we used second on young tall.

The game looks to be speeding up and I think the single biggest issue with our team is how slow we are. Our team defence would benefit the most from adding better runners around the ground.

Personally l would be making a big offer to someone like leek aleer and also trying to convince the giants to let him go with a decent pick. He just isn’t a necessity for them. Unfortunately though we just cant make that happen.

I’m surprised Carlton hasn’t been linked to more talls . Bargain options like Tomlinson. Even if we draft a young key defender we probably need a mature one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Footskills/IQ, Lindsay
What are your thoughts on drafting Charlie McCartin as a mature KPD?

Could we pick Berry/Hotton with our first and the other Charlie with our second, or is this too higher than he's worth?

If it is a choice of Berry or O'Farrell then I will side on O'Farrell as I believe that he will play early in defense alongside Weitering.
It looks like we have small forward options coming in the next couple of years so we have the op to see how Motlop develops over the preseason alongside Durdin and Williams.
That is not a fast combo but Russell has another preseason to get them working in concert with Charlie and Harry.

I really like Berry and I want both.
O'Farrell not even listed in Top 30 we currently have Pick 11 being 12 or 13 more likely because of Academy Pick hopefully we have Pick 19 or 20 last pick of 1st Round. That pick likely Cooper Hynes 190cm Midfielder, Alex Tauru 193cm Defender Pick 20 or Jobe Shanahan 194cm Forward Defender Pick 21. Xavier Lindsay 183cm Midfielder Pick 16 out of reach most likely. Ben Camporeale will be taken second and Luke Camporeale 3rd. We don't have points left to get O'Farrell unless his like pick 70 when points run out we be lucky to have enough picks for Luke with 62, 65 and 69 if he is taken like 44 say worth 362 - 20% . 289 points Pick 62,65,69 = about 262 we still short 27 points from 2023 Point System so we lose 27 points from our spot in 2025 draft,

What are your thoughts on drafting Charlie McCartin as a mature KPD?

Could we pick Berry/Hotton with our first and the other Charlie with our second, or is this too higher than he's worth?
Charlie McCartin may be a viable option, but you are talking late pick or rookie. Played for Ed Curnow’s local team and had a game or two late with Sydney’s VFL team, as opposed to an extended run.

He had an impressive run at local level and was OK in his Sydney cameo. There is absolutely nothing to say he is a ready made AFL quality defender. He has the pedigree, but literally didn’t play footy for a couple/few years. Was nit projecting at the level. Wouldn’t rule him out, but hard to see as more than a rookie prospect.

We don’t have the main list spots to reach for such a speculative option. If we are tied in to the Camporeales, we likely only get two picks in the main draft. Don’t think he becomes an SSP option as unlikely to have nominated for the draft in recent times and has never been on a list.

I guess my vote goes towards adding foot speed/run to the team before drafting a young key defender. Ideally would like to use first two picks on adding run. Would understand if we used second on young tall.

The game looks to be speeding up and I think the single biggest issue with our team is how slow we are. Our team defence would benefit the most from adding better runners around the ground.

Personally l would be making a big offer to someone like leek aleer and also trying to convince the giants to let him go with a decent pick. He just isn’t a necessity for them. Unfortunately though we just cant make that happen.

I’m surprised Carlton hasn’t been linked to more talls . Bargain options like Tomlinson. Even if we draft a young key defender we probably need a mature one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
We're also looking at Charlie McCartin. KPD. Playing with Ed Curnow.

Last edited:
Decided to take a stab at how the draft may go after the obvious trades with Richmond, Freo etc go through. Not sure what GCS do with pick 6 though... Feel like it may be overs for Rioli but a Lombard bid could come anywhere between 3-15 imo so have just left it there for now.

Richmond our only real threat to a Berry acquisition if the trades go through as expected imo.

1: Rich - Jagga Smith
2: North - Finn O'Sullivan
3: Brisbane - Levi Ashcroft (Matched)
4: West Coast - Josh Smillie
5: Adelaide - Sid Draper
6: Gold Coast - Leo Lombard
7: Melbourne - Sam Lalor
8: St Kilda - Harvey Langford
9: Essendon - Harry Armstrong
10: Rich - Murphy Reid (Traded from Fremantle)
11: Rich - Luke Trainor (Traded from Fremantle)
12: Carlton - Joe Berry
13: West Coast - Bo Allan
14: Rich - Jobe Shanahan (Traded from GCS)
15: GWS - Tobie Travaglia
16: WBD - Taj Hotton
17: Rich - Xavier Lindsay (Traded from Fremantle)
18: Essendon - Isaac Kako (Matched)
19: Sydney - Kayle Gerreyn
20: Sydney - Hamish Davis
21: Rich - Matt Whitlock (Traded from GCS)
Bo Allan, Jobe Shanahan, Tobie Travaglia, Taj Hotton and Xavier Lindsay would all be taken before Joe Berry. I doubt club would take a small forward as all above maybe Jobe Shanahan less likely would be capable playing AFL first year. Joe Berry would likely be a while.

Yep, would love multiple picks. Reckon four pulls it up though. Barring something from left field we can maybe create six spots. (Marchy, Martin, Cuners, Owies, Carroll and perhaps push Fantasia to the rookie list, maybe we change the balance of main list to rookie by one temporarily) One to upgrade Boyd is most likely, and the dogs are barking for Haynes to take another. I am sure if we can trade in a mature KPD, we will do that which reduces numbers again, although I see that unlikely to eventuate.

Decent chance the other clubs overlook Lucas Campo to get him to the rookie draft, fingers and toes crossed.
What if the other clubs take him pick 44-50

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back