• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There's always going to be exceptions to the rule and Geelong are basically ground 0 for them for whatever reason... To counter that I'd ask who was the last highly rated small forward to be a bust in the draft?

Watson
Rachele
Pickett
Weightman
Henry
Rankine
Jones
Higgins

Berry is right up there with any of them in terms of talent and projecting to the next level. We can piss fart around trying to find some quality small forwards with rookie picks and picks in the 50s or we can take the proven gun and enjoy the ride.
All I’ve seen of Berry is the champs games this year and some 5 minute highlights packages he looks a nice player if we select him it probably costs a pick between 10-14, Just for another example I also saw Jasper Alger play and to my eye he looked almost as good and going by most phantom drafts will likely cost a pick after 40 for the cost I know which one I’m choosing and I’m sure their are more quality smalls available our recruiters just have to identify them better.

All I’ve seen of Berry is the champs games this year and some 5 minute highlights packages he looks a nice player if we select him it probably costs a pick between 10-14, Just for another example I also saw Jasper Alger play and to my eye he looked almost as good and going by most phantom drafts will likely cost a pick after 40 for the cost I know which one I’m choosing and I’m sure their are more quality smalls available our recruiters just have to identify them better.
I don't disagree that Alger has some nice traits, just as Cunners, Durdin, Motlop etc showed in their junior years. The difference is Berry delivers game after game while Alger remains a teaser type player.

Jasper Alger
Champs Games - 4
Champs Goals - 5

CTL Games - 6
CTL Goals - 8

Joe Berry
Champs Game - 4
Champs Goals - 9

CTL Games - 14
CTL Goals - 27

Even if somehow Alger ends up the better player, I'm taking the proven performer every chance I get with our pick.

Id personally like to, probably the last big flush out we have....Go hard for Leek next year and Walker comes in the year after...
Trade:
Carlton F1 - 2024 First
Carlton Second + Owies Pick > Brisbane First (points for them)

Berry, Travaglia, O’Farrell, 2x Campo & Boyd

Small ball wins out again vs the Lumbering trio of tall timbers for the Dogs.

Berry or Hotton.
Or it could just be that the Bulldogs have no system and that the Hawks were supremely well-drilled and coached and had the form going in.

If you are talking about their forward-line, at least two of those 'tall timbers' the Bulldogs have will be real weapons in time, They will be 'added to' by other types, not replaced.

Last edited:
Small ball wins out again vs the Lumbering trio of tall timbers for the Dogs.

Berry or Hotton.
Add Lindsay as an each way option and you’ve got me mate. We need those options. It is not the only way to win a game, but we need some extra strings in the bow.

You know my next line from repetition (not as much as you) “providing we get a key defender with our second”,

After seeing the performances of our smalls today I simply refuse to believe in another option.
One 18 year old won't do much for our club in the short term. I hate to say it (no I don't) but we better start preparing for our next generation of players. That is what governs my attitude on the 2024 draft crop and how we should approach it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One 18 year old won't do much for our club in the short term. I hate to say it (no I don't) but we better start preparing for our next generation of players. That is what governs my attitude on the 2024 draft crop and how we should approach it.
One 18 year old would be a clear improvement on our putrid small forwards. Is it going to turn the whole teams fortunes around? Absolutely not... But amongst some other changes it certainly will help.

If it's not Berry then Hotton, Lindsay or Travaglia and try everything we can to trade in some ready made smalls as well as a KPD. The circus cannot go on any longer.

Our First round pick is gone Baily Smith to Carlton bookmark it brings us speed and Money in Marketing. Cerra off to Melbourne with Owies for Melbourne pick.

I hope so, but doubt you’re right. Smith is off to the cattery, but he is exactly the type we need.
Couldn’t find a better fit for our team and available player than Bailey Smith if we tried.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t want to blow up the list like many, but would be ecstatic if we could get three picks before Ben’s bid.
KPD is essential, second rounder should suffice for O’Farrell or Clancy Dennis. (They might get to thirds)
Forward J. Berry x-factor, pace,kicks goals and a good connector (or maybe Dattoli who is more a Voss type)
Harry Oliver is a high class rebounder/distributor half back if we could somehow conjure another selection.

Ben is a good addition to the midfield inside and/or out or behind the ball. I like the idea of him linking with Cooper Lord to add some defensive starch to our future midfield.

Hoping Lucas can get to the rookie draft as an outside mid or back flanker. Love the notion of father/son, but taking both boys is not timely.

We are not getting all of those picks if we trade mature Haynes for defensive depth.

Rookie wise Christian Mardini would give us a second young developing KPD a year or two older than this year’s draftees. We need a spot for Irishman Matt Duffy, and Will White from our reserves could be another small forward option.

Something like that gives us a big step toward generation next.

If our medical team can sort a few out, we will have an extra handful of players to pick from as well.

still have my eye on Taj Hotton, goal kicking, high possession HFF.

coming off the ACL is a risk but i'd guess the biggest knock for our needs is i don't think he's particularly fast
He's a bit like Conor Rozee athletically. Probably not lightning fast but elite agility/change of direction and first few steps are enough to get clear of most situations.

One of the main reasons I have my doubts on him at our first, tend to lose a bit in those two parts of your profile for the first 24 months after an ACL from what I've watched.

If he didn't get injured I think he'd be my #1 for us

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back