• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Finishing the game with 24 touches, 7 i50s, 9 tackles and a goal is a fair grand final in a losing effort from Hannaford. I’m definitely on his bandwagon.

Murphy Reid hurting his knee (prognosis unclear, though he was walking unassisted with a limp after the game) adds a complication to the top 10. I guess we won’t see his Combine results now.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If the owies pick is good enough.....

You take Trainor if he falls. Best KPD by a bit. Don’t overthink it.
To play devils advocate, we select Trainor... He cops a big hit week 1 of pre season and due to his prior history has to medically retire.

I think the risk is pretty immense in this current day and age, despite him being an out and out gun.

Travaglia screams bust to me.

Very average disposal. Doesn't lower his eyes enough and always seems rushed.

Lindsay is a better selection. Breakaway speed and elite disposal.
Id say Travaglia is quite a bit faster than Lindsay from what I've seen. Much more dynamic mover. Would disagree on his disposal being poor, but agree that he could lower the eyes more.

Id say Travaglia is quite a bit faster than Lindsay from what I've seen. Much more dynamic mover. Would disagree on his disposal being poor, but agree that he could lower the eyes more.
I agree he is faster and more dynamic athletically. He just always seems panicked with his disposal though. Including hand balling.

3 picks inside the top 25 and we would be laughing.

Lindsay
Berry
Matt Whitlock
Campos x 2

Now that’s a draft that changes our fortunes and covers areas of concern moving forward

How is this achieved however?
Pick# 11 split?
MK (?), Owies+? trades bundled for an upgrade?
Big name traded?

Edit: futures
I didn’t realise our picks were this ordinary (11, 31, 62, 65, 68, 85) hopefully the 4th rounders are enough for BC, though should be brought forward with bid matches.

Last edited:
How is this achieved however?
Pick# 11 split?
MK (?), Owies+? trades bundled for an upgrade?
Big name traded?
Take you pick really.
Putting our pick 11 and our 2nd could get us picks 17 and 20 maybe. Our F1 could get us around 18

Yeah maybe a big named player traded would also net us a big return but doubtful we do it unless there’s problems and a player wants out or we decided we have too much money tied up in 7 or so players and not enough to spread evenly.

Tasmania are only a few years away and although we are striving for a flag, we cannot lose sight of what things could look like if we go all in on a player this year with pick 11 and our F1 and us dropping down the ladder. We must keep an eye on sustained success and competitiveness. Being competitive allows us the luxury of FAs wanting to get to the club. We are lucky we are a big club but being top 8 each year or top 4 allows you the luxury of getting really good players wanting to come to you.

We must even out our salary cap spread and imo go heavy into this draft. We have the Campos which is great so we need to use the chance to get 2 or 3 really good kids before them to our advantage. If we did take Lindsay I think he gets games in 2025 and can add to our midfield half back rotations. He really looks good. Berry plays in 2025 also and again gives us a better forward line. And Matt Whitlock is a very good key back and will take a few years but it’s time we really invested in another key back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To play devils advocate, we select Trainor... He cops a big hit week 1 of pre season and due to his prior history has to medically retire.

I think the risk is pretty immense in this current day and age, despite him being an out and out gun.

Even 3 concussions over hist first 3 years would even put him at risk,

Take you pick really.
Putting our pick 11 and our 2nd could get us picks 17 and 20 maybe. Our F1 could get us around 18

Yeah maybe a big named player traded would also net us a big return but doubtful we do it unless there’s problems and a player wants out or we decided we have too much money tied up in 7 or so players and not enough to spread evenly.

Tasmania are only a few years away and although we are striving for a flag, we cannot lose sight of what things could look like if we go all in on a player this year with pick 11 and our F1 and us dropping down the ladder. We must keep an eye on sustained success and competitiveness. Being competitive allows us the luxury of FAs wanting to get to the club. We are lucky we are a big club but being top 8 each year or top 4 allows you the luxury of getting really good players wanting to come to you.

We must even out our salary cap spread and imo go heavy into this draft. We have the Campos which is great so we need to use the chance to get 2 or 3 really good kids before them to our advantage. If we did take Lindsay I think he gets games in 2025 and can add to our midfield half back rotations. He really looks good. Berry plays in 2025 also and again gives us a better forward line. And Matt Whitlock is a very good key back and will take a few years but it’s time we really invested in another key back.

If we were to trade back from pick 11 to pick 17, on draft night this would become roughly pick 21 because of Ashcroft, Lombard, kako and stkilda compo.

At pick 21 there will probably be no Lindsay,Berry,travaglia, Hotton available.

I don think we can afford to trade back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If we were to trade back from pick 11 to pick 17, on draft night this would become roughly pick 21 because of Ashcroft, Lombard, kako and stkilda compo.

At pick 21 there will probably be no Lindsay,Berry,travaglia, Hotton available.

I don think we can afford to trade back.

17 was a rough number

Don't think there's much chance of us getting multiple top 20 picks. Think we'll take 1 really good kid at 11 and either spend the rest on trades or try use another pick for Ben Campo.

I hope we look at Zak Johnson. Really like him and just get the feeling he could slide a bit. Maybe a trade back in after a Ben Campo bid in that 30-40 range. Would have him in my top 20 on talent.

Don't think there's much chance of us getting multiple top 20 picks. Think we'll take 1 really good kid at 11 and either spend the rest on trades or try use another pick for Ben Campo.

I hope we look at Zak Johnson. Really like him and just get the feeling he could slide a bit. Maybe a trade back in after a Ben Campo bid in that 30-40 range. Would have him in my top 20 on talent.
Richmond may be a possibility with alot of picks in this draft, they may gamble on us finishing 7th-10th next year to net them another good pick for next year's draft.

17 was a rough number

Carlton’s pick 11 will probably be pick 14 or 15 on draft night. Bit of a bummer. I think the best talent in this draft is in the top 18 players so would be reluctant to change our pick.

A pick that falls outside the top 18 on draft night has less value for mine. So say we traded for brisbanes pick 15, which could be up for grabs, it will probably be pick 19 on draft night. In my mind that picks falls in a different tier of talent.

Carlton’s pick 11 will probably be pick 14 or 15 on draft night. Bit of a bummer. I think the best talent in this draft is in the top 18 players so would be reluctant to change our pick.

A pick that falls outside the top 18 on draft night has less value for mine. So say we traded for brisbanes pick 15, which could be up for grabs, it will probably be pick 19 on draft night. In my mind that picks falls in a different tier of talent.

If you taking a pick to the draft, rather than using it for a trade, it really doesn't matter how far it's shuffled back, you still get the same eligible player

3 picks inside the top 25 and we would be laughing.

Lindsay
Berry
Matt Whitlock
Campos x 2

Now that’s a draft that changes our fortunes and covers areas of concern moving forward

That would be quite a draft haul...

Not sure 11 + 31 will return 17 + 20 and not sure that those players will be available at those picks too...

We will need to get more creative than that, I'm not confident we will though.

This off season looks like it has us taking 11 to the draft, using the rest of our picks on B.Campo, trying to pick a project player with a later pick and bringing in Haynes.

Only thing that will change that is if Houston requests a trade to us... then, well forget about an early pick in this year's draft...

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back