Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 7.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My observations:

Murphy Reid is someone you couldn’t pass up if he was there. He has generational class. Lachie Neale hands. Is a goal scorer as well. Only query is speed/power at the highest level.

Travaglia. Tenacious competitor with exemplary endurance and ball reading. Concerns around his height (187cm) and his kicking. Does he solve our second key defender problem? Probably not. Might be worth it regardless.

Berry is someone I’ve been bearish on but I’ve revisited some games and I admit he has several attributes that we could use. Very clever running patterns and makes good decisions often. Has some Luke Breust about him. Query is him drifting out of games at times. Worthy of a top 12 selection? Hmmm.

Xavier Lindsay is popular on here but it’s a huge no from me. If you watch enough of his matches, his ball use is bordering on poor. Yes, he looks slick with the left foot and every so often hits a great pass but he butchers the ball way too much for mine. No discernible game breaking qualities about him. Blues don’t need him.

Trainor tempts me with his outstanding intercept marking and elite skills by foot. Extremely talented player and a healthy dose of confidence. Is he the second key defender we need? He’s 195 so maybe. I’d say after the saints receiving pick 8 for battle that he will be off the table anyway. He feels safer than Travaglia for mine.

Hotton I haven’t watched enough footage of, however he possesses much of what we need at the blues. Not sure he is worth the risk given our injury plague.

Hannaford. What a finish to the season. He possesses strength and power that we need. Also hits the score board. He’s a less skilful Murphy Reid with more power. Might cost less and be more what we need. Reminds me of someone Geelong would pick up for peanuts and turn into a superstar.

My order of preference:

Murphy Reid
Luke Trainor
Ollie Hannaford
Joe Berry
Tobie Travaglia

Xavier Lindsay
If Reid had some athletic traits he'd go pick 1. But he is the definition of a plodder physically.

Very hard player to get a read on how that translates at the next level, if he was a bit bigger and stronger like Pendlebury would have less concerns on him.

If Reid had some athletic traits he'd go pick 1. But he is the definition of a plodder physically.

Very hard player to get a read on how that translates at the next level, if he was a bit bigger and stronger like Pendlebury would have less concerns on him.

Will be interested to see his athletic profile at the combine. There is more to speed than raw acceleration. He’s quick to dispose of the ball to others advantage.

What are your thoughts on Travaglia? Height and ball use are my queries.

If we did get GCS’ pick 13, I’d ask the question of GWS. They have 3 picks in the 1st round (15, 16 and 21). Don’t think they will want to part with 15 but I’d put this deal to them:
Carlton trade: 12, 13 and 34
GWS trade: 16, 21 and a future 1st

We would end up with 2 of: Berry, Hannaford, Reid, Hotton, Hynes, Moraes, Dattoli - then we could death ride GWS in 2025. And based off their departures, there’s a big chance they will fall down the ladder.

My observations:

Murphy Reid is someone you couldn’t pass up if he was there. He has generational class. Lachie Neale hands. Is a goal scorer as well. Only query is speed/power at the highest level.

Travaglia. Tenacious competitor with exemplary endurance and ball reading. Concerns around his height (187cm) and his kicking. Does he solve our second key defender problem? Probably not. Might be worth it regardless.

Berry is someone I’ve been bearish on but I’ve revisited some games and I admit he has several attributes that we could use. Very clever running patterns and makes good decisions often. Has some Luke Breust about him. Query is him drifting out of games at times. Worthy of a top 12 selection? Hmmm.

Xavier Lindsay is popular on here but it’s a huge no from me. If you watch enough of his matches, his ball use is bordering on poor. Yes, he looks slick with the left foot and every so often hits a great pass but he butchers the ball way too much for mine. No discernible game breaking qualities about him. Blues don’t need him.

Trainor tempts me with his outstanding intercept marking and elite skills by foot. Extremely talented player and a healthy dose of confidence. Is he the second key defender we need? He’s 195 so maybe. I’d say after the saints receiving pick 8 for battle that he will be off the table anyway. He feels safer than Travaglia for mine.

Hotton I haven’t watched enough footage of, however he possesses much of what we need at the blues. Not sure he is worth the risk given our injury plague.

Hannaford. What a finish to the season. He possesses strength and power that we need. Also hits the score board. He’s a less skilful Murphy Reid with more power. Might cost less and be more what we need. Reminds me of someone Geelong would pick up for peanuts and turn into a superstar.

My order of preference:

Murphy Reid
Luke Trainor
Ollie Hannaford
Joe Berry
Tobie Travaglia

Xavier Lindsay
you concern about Trainors multiple concussions

Will be interested to see his athletic profile at the combine. There is more to speed than raw acceleration. He’s quick to dispose of the ball to others advantage.

What are your thoughts on Travaglia? Height and ball use are my queries.
Reid won't be partaking in the combine due to an ankle injury.

I love Travaglia as a prospect. Behind Berry he's my favourite player in our pick range. I see him moving on ball into a Will Day type in time, he played through the middle a bit in some CTL games and was awesome in there. Not a KPD height for down back, but he's much more of a Tom Stewart or Cowan type anyway who is strong in the air yet does most of the damage through their ball use and run.

Not sure his kicking would be considered 'elite' by many watchers but he does create space to hit his targets through a bit of chaos ball with his penetrating run, so he tends to find damaging targets a bit easier than others.

Main reason I'd love to get Travaglia is unlock more flexibility with Cowan as he progresses. Both have ability up the field so they could interchange with one another to add some much needed versatility to our list.

My observations:

My order of preference:

Murphy Reid
Luke Trainor
Ollie Hannaford
Joe Berry
Tobie Travaglia

Xavier Lindsay

Travaglia isn’t a key defender if that’s what you were thinking. 187cm half back who may transition to midfield. Height not an issue for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If we did get GCS’ pick 13, I’d ask the question of GWS. They have 3 picks in the 1st round (15, 16 and 21). Don’t think they will want to part with 15 but I’d put this deal to them:
Carlton trade: 12, 13 and 34
GWS trade: 16, 21 and a future 1st

We would end up with 2 of: Berry, Hannaford, Reid, Hotton, Hynes, Moraes, Dattoli - then we could death ride GWS in 2025. And based off their departures, there’s a big chance they will fall down the ladder.
I think there's a fairly large drop in quality from Hotton onwards in that list. Wouldn't do it unless we were targeting a KPD in that range.

Moraes, Hynes and Dattoli are not in the same class as the others imo.

I think there's a fairly large drop in quality from Hotton onwards in that list. Wouldn't do it unless we were targeting a KPD in that range.

Moraes, Hynes and Dattoli are not in the same class as the others imo.
You’re definitely right, there is. But you would 100% get 1 of Berry, Hannaford, Reid or Hotton imo with pick 16 then who knows with pick 21? We could even trade it off for a player or maybe for another 1st rounder in 2025.

The good thing is we have options and at worst, we pick someone with 12 that fills a need and we hold our our 2025 1st still.

Travaglia isn’t a key defender if that’s what you were thinking. 187cm half back who may transition to midfield. Height not an issue for that.

Yes, which makes me question whether he is a good option for us. Unlocking Cowan is a bit pie in the sky really. The Will Day comparisons do have me excited though.

Reid won't be partaking in the combine due to an ankle injury.

I love Travaglia as a prospect. Behind Berry he's my favourite player in our pick range. I see him moving on ball into a Will Day type in time, he played through the middle a bit in some CTL games and was awesome in there. Not a KPD height for down back, but he's much more of a Tom Stewart or Cowan type anyway who is strong in the air yet does most of the damage through their ball use and run.

Not sure his kicking would be considered 'elite' by many watchers but he does create space to hit his targets through a bit of chaos ball with his penetrating run, so he tends to find damaging targets a bit easier than others.

Main reason I'd love to get Travaglia is unlock more flexibility with Cowan as he progresses. Both have ability up the field so they could interchange with one another to add some much needed versatility to our list.

I do rate Travaglia, with his points of difference being an asset to any team. He isn’t solving our key defender, classy finisher weakness though.

You’re definitely right, there is. But you would 100% get 1 of Berry, Hannaford, Reid or Hotton imo with pick 16 then who knows with pick 21? We could even trade it off for a player or maybe for another 1st rounder in 2025.

The good thing is we have options and at worst, we pick someone with 12 that fills a need and we hold our our 2025 1st still.

Pick 16 will become roughly pick 20/21. All the players you’ve suggested could be gone.

Vid of Travaglia playing midfield rather than half back. Very raw and slightly unpolished but can see his explosive run and core strength at times which would hold him in good stead if he did end up there.

Pendlebury isn't Pendlebury because of his height or strength. It's all about the ability to create time and space, even in traffic. Reid has that in spades. He sees the play unfolding before everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back