• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Other

Votes: 13 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no expert with this raft of draftees but just looking at some Finn O'Sullivan videos on YouTube and he looks a reliable type but not really the point of difference in the midfield that we need. With the draft supposably so even at the top I think taking two top 15 picks makes more sense than one top 6 pick. Pick-up two players to fill positional needs (i.e., small forward and a pacey outside mid with skills that can spread well from stoppage) and I think I'll be very happy with this off-season.
Long been my issue with him. I don't see anything that allows him to develop from high quality midfielder to genuine superstar. It's Treloar vs Bont, numbers might be similar but theres things Bont can do that simply have to be seen to be believed. I can't see FOS ever being more than a Treloar type and at pick 1-5 I'd want a player who can be a genuine match winner.

Lalor, Smillie and Draper imo have that potential... Reid, FOS, Langford and Smith are the tier below in terms of pure 'talent'.

Who ends up the best of that lot is a whole other question though as we know talent only takes you so far.

Austin keeps mentioning speed and run. Who fits that bill?

Lindsay, Travaglia, Hotton, Allan?

None are express but are quick in different ways.

I don't get the vibe we are as desperate for a small forward as alot on here are.

He's also mentioned KP defence depth but that could be a mature player. Not many options where our draft picks sit. Maybe Trainor or Tauru?
Lalor is the other one explosive speed

Surely if we do get 3 Austin doesn’t go for an out and out midfielder? A player like Lalor who plays forward a lot and is a bull both forward and in the midfield would be the way to go.

I know we want speed throughout the team but I’d prefer to keep 12 and 14 if that’s the case and add 2 speedy types. If we have just the 1 pick I’m going game winner similar to Dusty/JDG/Petracca every bloody time

Going back to my rough top 30 or so players with our extra pick. My list is has slightly changed recently, but these are still close.
Bolded players are not getting to us most likely.
Hannaford/Berry combination would be lovely. I would smile if a Reid drifted to our pick, Langford does not suit our list needs but might be a little too hard to say no.
I'm higher on Davis than most people on BF, but he reminds me a little of Hayward. That second tall that is dangerous in the air but also on the ground. I really don't have enough info on Hotton to make a strong statement on his worth these days, but Dattoli has elements of a kid that could go higher with Hokball love.
  1. Ashcroft
  2. Draper
  3. Lalor
  4. Lombard
  5. Reid
  6. Smith
  7. Langford
  8. FOS
  9. Lindsay
  10. Travaglia
  11. Hannaford
  12. Berry
  13. Marshall
  14. Tauru
  15. Smillie
  16. Hotton
  17. Davis
  18. Dattoli
  19. Kako
  20. Dodson
  21. Armstrong
  22. Trainor
  23. Allan
  24. Hynes
  25. J Whitlock
  26. M Whitlock
  27. Shanahan
  28. Anderson
  29. Ough
  30. Gross
Armstrong I’d have in the top 10

am I doing the math right? They’ll become like 14/16 or 15/17 after bids on academy and father sons?
Doesn’t really matter if the pick numbers slide back due to academy and f/s picks, it’s all about the availability of live draft picks…

This draft looks ridiculously good. I'm a bit wary of the Bo Allan talk though. Watch his highlights against VM where the pressure goes up he chooses wrong options, misses targets, etc. A bit slow.

Trainor is the one I'm hoping for. Looks like he could play key back next season. Trevaglia a gun also could be available at our picks... maybe? Same height / position as Houston coincidentally. Berry looks like a mini Butters.

Even with this level of depth - trading up to 3 would be genuinely exciting though. Reid / Smillie / Lalor and these guys right at the top look like absolute guns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep the picks, no trade up, take a mid and a KPD, unless, list managers who have missed out on trades/pick swaps panic on draft night and start doing silly things to placate coaches, boards, fan bases etc.
We have the perfect keystone picks on the night and even right now during the trade periods final days to attract the overs offer.
I am still expecting picks to come in from trades within our list (not brain meltingly high ones but enough to flesh out the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year)
At a stretch a late future F1 as they seem to be out of favour.

My view is that we are most likely to keep 12 and 14. Although I also think we will try tapping on a few doors and will take advantage of things which we feel might be opportune (pick upgrade, pick swap, etc).

My question though: Austin has been clear on speed and a KPD. If we do keep 12 and 14 and go to the draft, who is around at 14 as a KPD? Is it just Trainor?

I must admit my hunch had always been that we had “hidden” O’Farrell somewhat and would draft him. But he sounds more of an option if we go for a downgraded pick split with the Swans (for example).

Our picks fall outside the range of the best kids in my opinion.

Massive step down from Smith, O’Sullivan, Travaglia to Lindsay, Shanahan etc.

Saints have the ideal position at 7 and 8.

Travaglia and Tauru will most likely be gone by our picks. Which leaves us with small forwards or a Trainor who I do not rate.

We need to make more moves.

Travaglia and Tauru will most likely be gone by our picks. Which leaves us with small forwards or a Trainor who I do not rate.

Still think we will get 2 quality kids even if we don’t move up

Maybe where our picks land might seem like the talent has dropped off, but a closer look imo means we can benefit greatly.

IMO if you have a pick in the top 10 you nearly always go best available. This draft is a midfielders draft and although we require some speed through the midfield, we also require a dangerous forward or 2 (small and medium), as well as a key back.

Leading into the year before his acl, Hotton was talked up as a potential no. 1. He most certainly should be now there at 12 if not 14. So many players do acls and I don’t see it as a risk. Then there’s Berry and Hannaford who I think would be awesome selections. These 2 most likely would never be top 10 picked based off the amount of great mids in this draft, whoever they will be players very quickly imo for whichever club grabs them.

Also if we do draft a key back, there’s a fair chance at these picks you could select the best or 2nd best from this draft crop which is pretty awesome imo.

Travaglia is another type that won’t be top 5 and could get to our pick 12. He oozes class and definitely has speed.

I think we are in a perfect position to draft on a needs basis and 2 of Travaglia, Hotton, Reid, Berry, Hannaford, Trainor, Matt Whitlock would be an exceptional haul.

Just my opinion

Still think we will get 2 quality kids even if we don’t move up

Maybe where our picks land might seem like the talent has dropped off, but a closer look imo means we can benefit greatly.

IMO if you have a pick in the top 10 you nearly always go best available. This draft is a midfielders draft and although we require some speed through the midfield, we also require a dangerous forward or 2 (small and medium), as well as a key back.

Leading into the year before his acl, Hotton was talked up as a potential no. 1. He most certainly should be now there at 12 if not 14. So many players do acls and I don’t see it as a risk. Then there’s Berry and Hannaford who I think would be awesome selections. These 2 most likely would never be top 10 picked based off the amount of great mids in this draft, whoever they will be players very quickly imo for whichever club grabs them.

Also if we do draft a key back, there’s a fair chance at these picks you could select the best or 2nd best from this draft crop which is pretty awesome imo.

Travaglia is another type that won’t be top 5 and could get to our pick 12. He oozes class and definitely has speed.

I think we are in a perfect position to draft on a needs basis and 2 of Travaglia, Hotton, Reid, Berry, Hannaford, Trainor, Matt Whitlock would be an exceptional haul.

Just my opinion
Agree however don’t think they will be there at our picks.

Tauru, Reid and Travaglia will be snapped up.

Hannaford and Berry will be there but that’s not addressing our defence.

Agree however don’t think they will be there at our picks.

Tauru, Reid and Travaglia will be snapped up.

Hannaford and Berry will be there but that’s not addressing our defence.
Trainor and Whitlock do however it doesn’t address our key backs in the short term.

Yes we would all love a ready to go player to partner Weitering and I’ve seen so many people say “that doesn’t address our key back problem” but neither does adding a kid.

Only way I see us addressing it is by selecting a mature good to go player. I don’t see us addressing it in this off season tbh and think it comes next years as much as people will be annoyed.

SDK is the logical answer and because we were sitting top 2 only a couple of rounds out before the end of the season, the team may think it’s not of huge concern, especially if Haynes plays most of the season.

I can see us taking Hotton and Berry with picks 12 and 14 and during next years off season chase a FA mid like LDU or Brayshaw and then go after SDK heavily

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back