• Xavier Lindsay

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Taj Hotton

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • Other

Votes: 13 8.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our picks fall outside the range of the best kids in my opinion.

Massive step down from Smith, O’Sullivan, Travaglia to Lindsay, Shanahan etc.

Saints have the ideal position at 7 and 8.

Travaglia and Tauru will most likely be gone by our picks. Which leaves us with small forwards or a Trainor who I do not rate.

We need to make more moves.
l would not say a massive step down, most recruiters rate this draft for its depth of talent.

If we trade up both Draper & Lalor add something to our mid field mix we are missing, Draper adds speed and quality ball use & Lalor is a real x factor type who is good overhead also.
O'Sullivan has similar qualities to our current mid field, Austin has specifically indicated quickness is a real need, not sure he fits that criteria.

If we do move up and we are looking at speed.

Lalor is too slow - but is so bloody good at what he does do well.

Draper - Big tick. Think Dangerfield burst speed.

Smith - Big tick. Think Nick Daicos. Accumulation, hard running, inside out.

I doubt Jagga Smith would be available past pick 2 though. If we got pick 3 or 4 you'd think Draper was the most likely option.

I don't rate O'Sullivan as a top 5 prospect.

Travaglia and Hannaford is my ideal combo (both happen to hail from my home club Sandhurst in the Bendigo league coincidentally).

Would love to know if there was a way to better position for this.

If Richmond get Freo's 10 could we do 12 and 14, future 3rd for 10, 20, future 3rd?

Or 12 > Sydney for 19,22. Then 14 & 22 > * for 9? Go in with 9 and 19?

Travaglia and Hannaford is my ideal combo (both happen to hail from my home club Sandhurst in the Bendigo league coincidentally).

If Richmond get Freo's 10 could we do 12 and 14, future 3rd for 10, 20, future 3rd?

I’d be pumped with that and totally agree with you. We need one inside 10 to nab Tobie. Hannaford we can get in the teens.

Travaglia speed is a concern. Didn't test well in the 20 metre sprint at the combine.
Like the sound of Trainor 194cm key defender if he's available with one of our first rounder picks

Travaglia speed is a concern. Didn't test well in the 20 metre sprint at the combine.
Like the sound of Trainor 194cm key defender of he's available with one of our first rounder picks
I'm not overly concerned about his 20 metre sprint time. He's a skinny lad, an endurance athlete for now, but definitely plays fast. Wouldn't have done much power specific weights training. I think with his athletic profile he would improve his acceleration in an AFL training system.

So we have picks 12 and 14 = 2429 points
We could possibly do pick swaps with any of
Gold Coast 6 and 29 = 2404
Melb 5 and 40 = 2307
Stkilda 7 or 8 and 27 = 2347
West coast 3 and 63 = 2346

I'm not overly concerned about his 20 metre sprint time. He's a skinny lad, an endurance athlete for now, but definitely plays fast. Wouldn't have done much power specific weights training. I think with his athletic profile he would improve his acceleration in an AFL training system.
My concern is he's skinny and slow already and only 187cm. Not sure how that translates to AFL given the direction the game is heading.

So we have picks 12 and 14 = 2429 points
We could possibly do pick swaps with any of
Gold Coast 6 and 29 = 2404
Melb 5 and 40 = 2307
Stkilda 7 or 8 and 27 = 2347
West coast 3 and 63 = 2346
Points are meaningless imo at the top of the draft - you always have to pay a significant premium to move up. In saying that in a deep draft I would prefer 12+14 over any of those four deals above.

Yeah, if Sydney were still looking to trade up I’d be happy enough to give up pick 12 or 14 for their 19 and 22, mostly because I rate Hannaford highly and it seems like he would last to 19.

Take one of Travaglia, Lindsay or Berry with our first pick, then Hannaford and the most suitable KPP (M Whitlock, Gerreyn, Dennis) with the other.

Then take Ben with remaining points and Lucas in the rookie draft.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My concern is he's skinny and slow already and only 187cm. Not sure how that translates to AFL given the direction the game is heading.
Have you watched much vision of him? Once he gets going he looks to be one of the quicker players in the draft. Probably just lacking the burst speed over the first few steps. This can be improved significantly with the right training.

Joe Berry & Xavier Lindsay in the draft for me.

Berry is that electric half forward in the Zac bailey, Zac butters mould that we are severely missing.

Lindsay is a classy ball user which is we also desperately need!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had paid very little attention to the top end of the draft but with the prospect of us trading up to pick 3 being branded around a 10 minute review has me liking the looks of Murphy Reid, looks like an ideal half forward/mid, his videos show him sticking tackles and has elite foot skills..

I had paid very little attention to the top end of the draft but with the prospect of us trading up to pick 3 being branded around a 10 minute review has me liking the looks of Murphy Reid, looks like an ideal half forward/mid, his videos show him sticking tackles and has elite foot skills..
Arguably the best user in the draft by hand+foot but has the athletic ability of Nick Graham. Personally don't see how he fits the bill of speed and run Austin alluded to wanting.

In my armchairiest and not having paid an awful lot of attention this season due to finals and general business opinion...

Berry with one of them, and one of Trainor or Kako for the other.

The two small forwards to complement the rest of the front half - both dynamic, both goal kickers, with Kako having some jnr performances as a mid, both fast and creative - and using Haynes/ Young in back half. Ben Camporeale to take the wing after Blacres peters off, Ollie and Lij to move into the midfield full time over the next 5 years. Suddenly we don't look so slow, and we don't get any shorter ahead of the ball.

Trainor wouldn't be looking to get games in that second KPD position, rather seeking to take Gov's spot in a year or two. While I like the idea of having prime Rance in our back 50 - which'd be what he'd be like - we need an offsider for Weits more than a replacement for Gov both at the moment and into the medium term.

Points are meaningless imo at the top of the draft - you always have to pay a significant premium to move up. In saying that in a deep draft I would prefer 12+14 over any of those four deals above.
You would only do those trades if you really rate one of the earlier kids

Depending on who is available around our picks I’d be willing to entertain splitting those picks to later first rounders/early second if we felt we could still get the players we wanted, plus one more

In my armchairiest and not having paid an awful lot of attention this season due to finals and general business opinion...

Berry with one of them, and one of Trainor or Kako for the other.

The two small forwards to complement the rest of the front half - both dynamic, both goal kickers, with Kako having some jnr performances as a mid, both fast and creative - and using Haynes/ Young in back half. Ben Camporeale to take the wing after Blacres peters off, Ollie and Lij to move into the midfield full time over the next 5 years. Suddenly we don't look so slow, and we don't get any shorter ahead of the ball.

Trainor wouldn't be looking to get games in that second KPD position, rather seeking to take Gov's spot in a year or two. While I like the idea of having prime Rance in our back 50 - which'd be what he'd be like - we need an offsider for Weits more than a replacement for Gov both at the moment and into the medium term.
Kako is an * academy player

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back