FOS
Jagga
Draper

Pick 12 and 14
Travaglia
Tauru
Hannaford
Berry

Those against Finn, may consider that our needs are not another accumulator. We need dynamic players with high impact.
Pick 3 im really hoping it’s Draper and with FOS I reckon he will be a great player so im not against drafting him like others on him and to be honest I rather 20 quality possessions then 30-35 of nothing, if we stick with 12 and 14 I’m really hoping it’s Tauru/Travaglia and Hannaford … I feel Hannaford’s style and ability will transform at AFL level compared to Berry.

Me trying to resist responding aggressivsly to all these advocates of FOS and Hannaford>Berry 🥵

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

What’s so special about Berry?
Elite endurance, elite agility, the most consistent goal kicker in the draft and has shown to be one of the best roaming small forwards up the field which is what we've been so desperate for.

Also a considerably better user than Hannaford who has his own strengths, vision and kicking skills not being amongst them though.

Hannaford is the competitor, Berry is the silk.

I know which one we've been desperately crying out for for years now.

Elite endurance, elite agility, the most consistent goal kicker in the draft and has shown to be one of the best roaming small forwards up the field which is what we've been so desperate for.

Also a considerably better user than Hannaford who has his own strengths, vision and kicking skills not being amongst them though.

Hannaford is the competitor, Berry is the silk.

I know which one we've been desperately crying out for for years now.
Agree with most but who is our damaging midfielder that can impact forward of centre? Berry will not be that player. Too small and drifts out of games.

FOS, Draper can. Harder to find.

Agree with most but who is our damaging midfielder that can impact forward of centre? Berry will not be that player. Too small and drifts out of games.

FOS, Draper can. Harder to find.
They're mids rated in the top 5 of the draft. Berry is a small forward rated in the teens.

If we're getting Draper or FOS we definitely aren't getting Berry, we'd have used all our picks to trade up.

Fact is 12 and 14 is a great hand. If we had more list spots available, I would be advocating we split one of the picks, hopefully 14, for two before 25ish. We absolutely need a young KPD and projections have “them” a little later. Plenty of good players in that range to choose from.

Not likely to create 7 main list spots to cater for Haynes, Boyd and five draftees. (However if Lucas lasted to rookie dr….)

Yeah that’s my point. It could be worth sacrificing the two picks to get one of those mids. They’re hard to find.
I wouldn't be upset with any of the outcomes EP outlined so long as we took the players I believe are a better fit for us.

Draper or Lalor would be my picks at 3, I'm not a fan of FOS.

A combination of Travaglia, Berry, Hotton or Lindsay at 12+14 would be my preference.

KPD id just stick to the stop gap trades until a better option becomes available somehow. Maybe rookie C.McCartin or something too.

I wouldn't be upset with any of the outcomes EP outlined so long as we took the players I believe are a better fit for us.

A combination of Travaglia, Berry, Hotton or Lindsay at 12+14 would be my preference.

KPD id just stick to the stop gap trades until a better option becomes available somehow. Maybe rookie C.McCartin or something too.
Not saying we must do all this. Just saying I'd probably be annoyed if we went a different route 😅

Sort have warmed to Houston + Berry as an option too just in case it happens 👀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We cannot just keep ignoring the need for a QUALITY young KPD. I doubt Austin will.

We cannot just keep ignoring the need for a QUALITY young KPD. I doubt Austin will.
There are very limited stocks available at our picks however. Id love another pick in the late 20s/early 30s to pick up an O'Farrell, Dennis or Mraz type but I'm not seeing how it happens.

Especially given the rumours we're looking to trade up

Not being one who watches the young talent coming through, what is it about FOS that is causing a significant difference in opinion about his quality and worth? Some have him easily top 3 best players available, whilst some wouldn't want us to take him if we had pick 3 and then some not rating him until around pick 10. He seems to be the player who polarises the most opinions at the pointy end.

Not being one who watches the young talent coming through, what is it about FOS that is causing a significant difference in opinion about his quality and worth? Some have him easily top 3 best players available, whilst some wouldn't want us to take him if we had pick 3 and then some not rating him until around pick 10. He seems to be the player who polarises the most opinions at the pointy end.

Great in his bottom age year but interrupted by injury this year so has missed games. Where he has played he's struggled to get much more then 20 disposals unlike his peers who have gone 30+. How much of his low production is due to him vs lack of preparation is anyones guess.

I dont think anybody disputes hes a damaging player. I think most have him top 5. It's just a matter of where.

I just think his athleticism is severely overstated and he lacks any real traits that could set him apart from a stock standard midfielder at AFL level.

He did face his injury struggles this year no doubt, but they were repeat hand injuries not lower body or his back etc. He would have maintained his ability to run, do agility work, lift weights etc... yet when he came back he looked like the most bland prospect going around.

Was being mown down by the likes of Murphy Reid, couldn't break a tackle to save his life and outside of a few nice sidesteps here and there he just didn't really show anything of note.

The ball handling, kicking etc I give a pass as I know how hard it is to get back your touch after a bad hand injury but the athletic ability was a poor showing imo.

Don't think we'll get better than Trainor around our pick - but I'm hoping he doesn't get snapped up by * (looking to replace Hind) or Freo.

Hind? He's a small.

I think I might have moved from the Berry camp to the Hannaford camp, the main reason is Hannaford's ability to do things that I don't think other players on our list are capable of (See 1:14 here). Meanwhile, Berry does a lot of things well, but most of his goals seem to come from set shots, or getting on the end of a team move. I don't think hes a great crumber, nor does he seem to create a goal from nothing inside 50. Hannaford has many deficiencies as a player compared to Berry, but I think his willingness to attack the game and make something happen is what we need.

I am probably gonna look a bit silly here, I still think Berry can be a great player, looks sure to be at least a good player.

Overall, I have gone a little cold on this draft to be honest, despite all the flowers coming for it. Is Berry, Shanahan, Lindsay etc. really that much better than the players that normally go in the early teens? I am not convinced, I almost see the strength of the draft being that there are 30 players you'd take before pick 21 most years, which doesn't necessarily leave us in the perfect spot with 12&14. For example, I'd be happy to pick Hannaford, Hynes, Marshall, or Gerryn with a first rounder most years but some of them will slip into the 20s.

Travaglia was the one for me and I still rate him, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, his dismal 20m sprint has put me off. I think Murphy Reid will be a great player, but not one I'd pick for us. In the end, I'd love to make it 3x Croweaters and trade up for Draper. For me, he rises well above the others mentioned as likely to go top 5. I understand why Richmond would take Smith over him, but otherwise, I don't think clubs should hesitate to take him with pick 2 onwards.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back