• Josh Smillie

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 12 6.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the OAK v GWV game?
Look he's not slow, has a massive kick, has pretty good game-sense and is pretty tenacious - he'll be a good player for us.

But he doesn't have great speed, great skills or great vision. What clips (armchair expert) I have seen show footy smarts and tenacity. He will be good, but what does he bring that Cerra, Walsh, Lord and the Campos don't/won't? I don't see how he complements any of Cripps or our future midfield.

Draper however is absolutely lightning, awesome skills, great vision and game-sense and is a good size, has strong leadership qualities, and is a teammate of 2 of our new recruits for multiple years now. None of Cripps or our future midfield can do what he can and let's face it, there's hardly any in the AFL who can.

This.

Lalor and Draper have the size and game IMO to impact in '25 and beyond

Also this.

I just came across some sanfl u18 testing results from Feb 2023. Draper went 2.94 in the 20m sprint and 7.80 in the agility test. Would have been enough for 5th and 1st at this year's draft combine. That was 1.5 years ago!

There is no correlation between Combine testing results and AFL success. Melbourne Uni did a paper on it.

Patty Cripps tested an 11 for his Beep test (and most armchair experts reading this could do that or better), and didnt set the world on fire with agility or speed either. That famously saw Matt Rendell (who was into him based off his excellent interview and obvious skill inside) put a line through him.

We know how that turned out.

Clubs are mainly looking at how the boys interact with each other and how they interview. The actual testing comes second.

I'm so scarred by our club that I'm convinced we'll jump all over whoever turns out to be a bust at pick 3.

We'll find another Paddy Dow or Dom Tyson in amongst the Dusty Martins and Marcus Bontempellis.

scared homer simpson GIF

I know you're being ironic, but Draper is quite literally the exact opposite of that.

For mine, its Draper or Lalor at 3. Draper being the safer bet with runs on the board vs men (averaging 25 odd over 6 weeks in the SANFL), and who would be good to go R1 next year.

Added plus of Draper is he knows the Campo twins (and Moir) pretty well, which will help with settling them all in.

Both Draper and Lalor offer us the exact thing our midfield needs, speed, power and penetration inside 50. Either would do me fine.

I'm terrified we'll select FOS though. He's the exact player we don't need. A low disposal mid (and a slower burn) with question marks galore.

Hoping the Tiges trade for Norths 2 and take FOS with one of them (I hear they're into him, and we might have spooked them by trading up).

That would give them Lalor (who they're rumored to be into at 1) and FOS (at 2) leaving us free to take Draper at 3 before the Crows swoop at 4.
Don't like Jagga?

Don't like Jagga?

I do and if Draper and Lalor are both gone by our pick, he's the one I'd select next.

He doesnt have the same speed and power as the first two, but is just too good to pass at that point. His numbers are insane for a wiry kid, he's always involved in the play (high Footy IQ) with repeat efforts etc, he has runs on the board vs men, and will 100 percent make it into a top line AFL player.

You cant make people smarter, but you can make them bigger.

Only knock on him is I reckon he'll need time. Will be pushed off the ball too easy with his frame at the top level.

FOS has a high ceiling, but he's also the most likely of the top 5 players in this draft to be a total bust. He also needs time.

Its that combo of risk + time that just make him a poor fit for us, especially with where the list is at, and the fact we traded out of 2 first rounds to get 3 (if he doesnt make it, it's an absolute disaster for us, and even if he does make it, it wont be for a few years at best).

I would only select FOS if I already had a 'sure thing' in the draft and had some time up my sleeve to develop him properly (i.e. the Tigers could do it).

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Tiges trade for Norths 2 and select Lalor and FOS at 1 and 2. That would be a dream for mine, as it removes the risk we take FOS (and hopefully Draper is our number 3).

I do and if Draper and Lalor are both gone by our pick, he's the one I'd select next.

He doesnt have the same speed and power as the first two, but is just too good to pass at that point. His numbers are insane for a wiry kid, he's always involved in the play (high Footy IQ) with repeat efforts etc, he has runs on the board vs men, and will 100 percent make it into a top line AFL player.

You cant make people smarter, but you can make them bigger.

Only knock on him is I reckon he'll need time. Will be pushed off the ball too easy with his frame at the top level.

FOS has a high ceiling, but he's also the most likely of the top 5 players in this draft to be a total bust. He also needs time.

Its that combo of risk + time that just make him a poor fit for us, especially with where the list is at, and the fact we traded out of 2 first rounds to get 3 (if he doesnt make it, it's an absolute disaster for us, and even if he does make it, it wont be for a few years at best).

I would only select FOS if I already had a 'sure thing' in the draft and had some time up my sleeve to develop him properly (i.e. the Tigers could do it).

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Tiges trade for Norths 2 and select Lalor and FOS at 1 and 2. That would be a dream for mine, as it removes the risk we take FOS (and hopefully Draper is our number 3).
Thanks for the detailed response. On my very limited viewing, Jagga, Draper and Lalor all look like great fits for the CFC

Thanks for the detailed response. On my very limited viewing, Jagga, Draper and Lalor all look like great fits for the CFC

From where I sit its Draper and Lalor as the clear standouts for what we need (a pacy, line breaking, aggressive forward/ mid) to complement Cripps (inside mid), Hewett (defensive mid), Walsh (gun running mid with elite follow up work but so-so disposal) and Cerra (balanced mid).

We need a Dusty/ Petracca/ Reid type who breaks lines and delivers the ball inside 50 (but can also win his own pill).

If both of those players are gone by 3, we want Smith next as he's just too good to pass up at that point.

The Tigers will almost certainly take Lalor at 1. The Tiges are also reportedly super keen on FOS (and North are pretty keen to split pick 2 because they have their sights on Tauru, who'll still be there at 6 or even later).

Richmond are more likely to trade for 2 to get FOS (and Lalor) now we're sitting there at 3 given our reported interest in both players.

Ultimately that's a dream scenario for me, because we would then select Draper (the one I actually want personally, and who is the best fit for our list) at 3 (pissing off Adelaide royally).

FOS has the most upside and is the most all round gifted footballer in this draft. His only queries are his output disposal numbers and occasionally gets caught with the ball. However, he’s athletic, agile, high impact and pure class. Ticks all our needs.

FOS is my man.

FOS has the most upside and is the most all round gifted footballer in this draft. His only queries are his output disposal numbers and occasionally gets caught with the ball. However, he’s athletic, agile, high impact and pure class. Ticks all our needs.

FOS is my man.
Give me quality possessions over quantity.

The 3 I want are Draper/Lalor/FOS

Listening to Cal Twomey today tho, sounds like FOS will go top 2

I'm so scarred by our club that I'm convinced we'll jump all over whoever turns out to be a bust at pick 3.

We'll find another Paddy Dow or Dom Tyson in amongst the Dusty Martins and Marcus Bontempellis.

scared homer simpson GIF
Share your concerns but that was SOS selecting a mid. Useless at it. Can pick talls, back and forward but has no idea when it comes to drafting mids. Hopefully Austin and co are better than SOS was

On SM-G980F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From where I sit its Draper and Lalor as the clear standouts for what we need (a pacy, line breaking, aggressive forward/ mid) to complement Cripps (inside mid), Hewett (defensive mid), Walsh (gun running mid with elite follow up work but so-so disposal) and Cerra (balanced mid).

We need a Dusty/ Petracca/ Reid type who breaks lines and delivers the ball inside 50 (but can also win his own pill).

If both of those players are gone by 3, we want Smith next as he's just too good to pass up at that point.

The Tigers will almost certainly take Lalor at 1. The Tiges are also reportedly super keen on FOS (and North are pretty keen to split pick 2 because they have their sights on Tauru, who'll still be there at 6 or even later).

Richmond are more likely to trade for 2 to get FOS (and Lalor) now we're sitting there at 3 given our reported interest in both players.

Ultimately that's a dream scenario for me, because we would then select Draper (the one I actually want personally, and who is the best fit for our list) at 3 (pissing off Adelaide royally).
Thanks for the summary. Just wondering your thoughts on Langford? Beautiful kick and good vision which we need.

Loved watching older Ashcroft son and Daicos in their junior footage due to their quick feet/thinking, vision/smarts and kicking. Won't be anyone like that available to us unfortunately, but this made them ready for instant impact. Never had any doubt here despite their lighter frames.

Draper seems to make sense for that immediate impact tho he might struggle at AFL level to get away with the break through front of stoppage trick. At least he is quick off the mark tho and breaks out side well. Not a terrible kick at least.

Think that is why Dow didnt work out tbh. Not sure of his draft combine numbers (anyone know?) so defs could be wrong, but to the eye Dow did fast seeming things (out front of stoppage) without actually being very quick. Slow thinker too and got caught alot. Matt Kennedy does the same tho much slower physically (surely) and much quicker mentally (love this sode of his game). Cannot rely on this flashy strategy among professionals unless all of very smart, very speedy, have a number of other threatening options, and have good defensive cover among your team mates. 2 cents!

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Draper seems to make sense for that immediate impact tho he might struggle at AFL level to get away with the break through front of stoppage trick.

At AFL level he wont have to worry about a tagger (Cripps and Walsh draw them). He can afford to seagull it a bit more and let Cripps etc do the grunt work (similar to how Oliver does the grunt work to get it to Petracca).

He's fast and agile. It shows when you watch his footage, and he also tested really well in both at the Combine.

I don't think people should be stressing about Dow.... totally different draft pools, I struggle to see how Smith, Lalor, FOS and Draper don't all make an impact at AFL level

That’s the thing with trauma… it’s not rational, but it’s very real. :)

I’d rather just take Draper, but now I’m torn because Lalor looks so good 😂
Lalor had a high-grade hamstring injury that saw him sidelined for 10 weeks. I now he's young and should get over it but...

I think Draper would be a good choice if he's available. I wonder what Adelaide would offer on the night if Draper was there at our pick....#4 + ???

Lalor had a high-grade hamstring injury that saw him sidelined for 10 weeks. I now he's young and should get over it but...

I think Draper would be a good choice if he's available. I wonder what Adelaide would offer on the night if Draper was there at our pick....#4 + ???
Not interested in trading with Adelaide one bit, just take Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back