Votes: 10 4.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 19 7.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don't think it was possible with the market we were working with.

Next year once we get TDK signed up we should be turning our eyes to filling these last 2 holes knowing Cody is coming the year after as a generational talent and supercharging our midfield for the years after.

That said, we'll be playing with the first iteration of the 2nd year future trading market and theres not a tonne on offer in terms of OOC KPDs and Small Fwds.
Sure i tend to agree with your first point, just a little frustrating that we are missing and not obtaining the right types still through the draft…

I’d like the balance of our list to eventually have a handful more of players identified and drafted to positions of need and developed..

We’ve had at least half a decade to draft and develop a proper KPD, its still hard to believe that we have not been able to give Weitering a proper partner, in which the list has clearly lacked…

At least we now seem to have an understanding of addressing the exact types in areas of need, the clean out this year is a step in the right direction…

FOS’s basic kicking execution and some decision making are a worry, his possession numbers should be higher too, if they were at the level it should be that’s required, he’d be almost a worthy lock for pick1…

The rest of his game is good, decent speed, balanced inside/ouside player who’s clever & evasive and good overhead, goal kicking mid who can play forward…

38....Most of these will probably be gone but you never know.... Dennis, O'Farrell, Moraes, Oliver, Dattoli. I think Alger has upside....not huge needs for us but I don't mind Jacques and Clarke too... Ned Bowman an intriguing one too, coming from not much footy in 2023...but would be a pick largely on potential
O'Farrell would be a great get if he makes it that far in my opinion.

Matt Whitlock is a sneaky chance of slipping, especially with 27, 28, 31, 34 all likely to be used pick matching.

As for pick 3, I get the feeling the tigers are set on Lalor, North I believe will look to go taller.
I've love Jagga for a while, FOS and Draper are the other two.
Only worry with Draper is the potential flight risk, especially with the SA sides having a focus on home ground talent.
Might be worth drafting him just to strengthen our hand of obtaining Butters if he does decide to return home... would be a bold strategy.
It seems like Lalor and FOS have had their reputations grow due to missing games with injury whilst Jagga has been so consistent for 4 years, but people want to find reasons to not pick him.
Reminds me a little of the Walsh chat in the lead up, clear stand out and healthy player throughout years of juniors, but the closer the draft got, the more people wanted to find holes in his game, rather than celebrate how good he'd been.

O'Farrell would be a great get if he makes it that far in my opinion.

Matt Whitlock is a sneaky chance of slipping, especially with 27, 28, 31, 34 all likely to be used pick matching.

As for pick 3, I get the feeling the tigers are set on Lalor, North I believe will look to go taller.
I've love Jagga for a while, FOS and Draper are the other two.
Only worry with Draper is the potential flight risk, especially with the SA sides having a focus on home ground talent.
Might be worth drafting him just to strengthen our hand of obtaining Butters if he does decide to return home... would be a bold strategy.
It seems like Lalor and FOS have had their reputations grow due to missing games with injury whilst Jagga has been so consistent for 4 years, but people want to find reasons to not pick him.
Reminds me a little of the Walsh chat in the lead up, clear stand out and healthy player throughout years of juniors, but the closer the draft got, the more people wanted to find holes in his game, rather than celebrate how good he'd been.
If you had to put money on it, who do you think will be taken by Richmond & North before our pick?

I remember going through North's thread on Will Phillips, and someone posted his pre-draft highlights and the discussion was "watching this all back, I don't know how we ever saw a top-3 pick here".

By and large, I will trust our recruiting team given that they must see 3-4 players they'd be thrilled with and I will back them in there. But all I am saying is that I can see a future where people watch pre-draft compilations of FOS and say "what on Earth were we thinking?"

If you had to put money on it, who do you think will be taken by Richmond & North before our pick?
I think the Tigers have got the number 4 ready for Lalor. Dusty out, Dusty 2.0 in.

Roo's from what I've heard will target a Key Position, forward most likely. Armstrong makes the most sense, but there is a lot of noise around them and Tauru.

I think the Tigers have got the number 4 ready for Lalor. Dusty out, Dusty 2.0 in.

Roo's from what I've heard will target a Key Position, forward most likely. Armstrong makes the most sense, but there is a lot of noise around them and Tauru.
Tauru makes sense. I think he and Lalor will go down as 2 of the best from this draft crop

I've watched every Sid Draper highlight you can find now I think he is just absolutely perfect for our midfield. His combination of consistent second effort running with his explosive pace and agility means he will be a complete difference maker to our midfield.

Yes his disposals can be loopy but I think when you generate the clearance and separation that he generates, you can make up for that and the handball disposal can surely be improved at AFL level.

He looks amazing to my eye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see any world where North take 2 to the draft, I think it will end up in the Tigers hands. I'm hoping for a Lalor + F'OS 1-2 if that's the case.

My preferences in order
Jagga - Just an exceptional player, with a very high floor, I love how slippery he is in congestion.
Draper - What stands out to me aside from his acceleration, is how clean he is below his knees, it's very Neale like. My only concern is his disposal.
Lalor - Weapon, and would give us something we don't have. I just think he's closer to the De Goey part of the powerful mid/fwd spectrum, rather than the Dusty end.
O'Sullivan - He moves so much like McCluggage (he just seems to lack the polish via foot), I think some of you are being a little harsh on him, I still see superstar potential in him.

After watching more Oakley games, I have to say that Jagga is amazingly impressive and is flying under the radar a bit. If I was Richmond I would take him for sure. He always seems to attack the front of the stoppage, I don't think I've ever seen him fumble, combines composure and "slippery-ness" in traffic to ensure he finds the best option, and is an absolute footy-magnet. I don't agree that he isn't impactful, I think that is often something one says about prospects who get a lot of inside-footy. He is a nice kick, knows where the big sticks are, and is quick. Combine that with his decision making and there have been a couple games that he has completely broken open.

This video shows all you could want to see in a midfield draft prospect. I would be worried for him if he does go to the Tigers, because he could end up being absolutely smashed from pillar-to-post in that team.

I'm now firmly in the Draper > Jagga >>> Lalor > FOS camp

I’m praying FOS is taken at 1 or 2. I don’t think he is a great kick from my viewing and just looks like an ok player, not a stand out.

Lalor, Smith and Tauru are my top 3. As much as Drapers highlights are great, I just think the 3 mentioned will be the best 3 from this draft crop

If you're interested, you can watch SANFL matches on their site (sign up for 7 day free trial) and you'll see full matches with Draper playing for the Panthers.

In a nutshell, he was a standout among men in one of the shittest sides in the comp.

Tauru makes sense. I think he and Lalor will go down as 2 of the best from this draft crop
I like Tauru, he plays taller than he is. I think he is best suited as a 3rd defender though.
I think the Roo's really want to settle Charlie Comben down back, to go with Dawson long term, Logue and Bergam and a host of others playing that 3rd role.

That's mainly why I'm of the opinion they will be looking for an out and out key forward to support Larkey.

If you're interested, you can watch SANFL matches on their site (sign up for 7 day free trial) and you'll see full matches with Draper playing for the Panthers.

In a nutshell, he was a standout among men in one of the shittest sides in the comp.
I’m not saying I don’t like Draper, I just don’t think he is top 3. I wonder whether we are all so invested on getting a speedy mid because that’s what we are currently missing.

I’ve always believed if you have a top 5 pick you pick best available and not based on needs. Draper maybe the best available, I just don’t view him to be

I like Tauru, he plays taller than he is. I think he is best suited as a 3rd defender though.
I think the Roo's really want to settle Charlie Comben down back, to go with Dawson long term, Logue and Bergam and a host of others playing that 3rd role.

That's mainly why I'm of the opinion they will be looking for an out and out key forward to support Larkey.
Shanahan is the natural pick for them. A genuine pack crasher rather than Larkey who's more of a leading patterns and smarts based KPF.

They'd be mad taking him at 2 though so unless they can split the pick they'll be stuck with another mid.

I’m not saying I don’t like Draper, I just don’t think he is top 3. I wonder whether we are all so invested on getting a speedy mid because that’s what we are currently missing.
This was actually a large part of why we selected Dow in the 2017 draft. Dow ahead of LDU and Cerra because we wanted to add some speed to the midfield.

After watching more Oakley games, I have to say that Jagga is amazingly impressive and is flying under the radar a bit. If I was Richmond I would take him for sure. He always seems to attack the front of the stoppage, I don't think I've ever seen him fumble, combines composure and "slippery-ness" in traffic to ensure he finds the best option, and is an absolute footy-magnet. I don't agree that he isn't impactful, I think that is often something one says about prospects who get a lot of inside-footy. He is a nice kick, knows where the big sticks are, and is quick. Combine that with his decision making and there have been a couple games that he has completely broken open.

This video shows all you could want to see in a midfield draft prospect. I would be worried for him if he does go to the Tigers, because he could end up being absolutely smashed from pillar-to-post in that team.

I'm now firmly in the Draper > Jagga >>> Lalor > FOS camp

Jagga has been a prodigious talent for years, he was getting the Cody Walker kinda of talk playing as a 15 year old.

The only reason I would have FOS/Lalor above him on our draft board is I feel Jagga is an out and out mid. Where as the other two have shown more forward craft. Jagga can definitely kick goals, but usually does it whilst still playing midfield.

Going off the assumption, and what history tells us, our midfield is a hard one to crack at the moment, so I'd be leaning towards the other two as they will both be great midfielder, but in their development periods I think they are more suited to getting AFL experience whilst playing as a half forward to start off with.

I am not saying that Jagga is like or going to turn out like Dow, but just using Dow as an example. He was always a midfielder, his best asset is reading the ruck taps. He found it incredible hard to find a spot in our team cause he didn't have the flexibility to play the forward role. This would be my one and only question mark around Jagga.

That said, I wonder if Jagga could play the N Daicos/ Sheezel half back role to start off with?

I really do rate him very highly. Just thinking in regards to our team specifically.

Jagga has been a prodigious talent for years, he was getting the Cody Walker kinda of talk playing as a 15 year old.

The only reason I would have FOS/Lalor above him on our draft board is I feel Jagga is an out and out mid. Where as the other two have shown more forward craft. Jagga can definitely kick goals, but usually does it whilst still playing midfield.

Going off the assumption, and what history tells us, our midfield is a hard one to crack at the moment, so I'd be leaning towards the other two as they will both be great midfielder, but in their development periods I think they are more suited to getting AFL experience whilst playing as a half forward to start off with.

I am not saying that Jagga is like or going to turn out like Dow, but just using Dow as an example. He was always a midfielder, his best asset is reading the ruck taps. He found it incredible hard to find a spot in our team cause he didn't have the flexibility to play the forward role. This would be my one and only question mark around Jagga.

That said, I wonder if Jagga could play the N Daicos/ Sheezel half back role to start off with?

I really do rate him very highly. Just thinking in regards to our team specifically.

I agree 100% that others would have more impact on the team from day 1, but if the recruiting team believes that Smith will be a better player over the course of his career than FOS or Lalor, then the last thing I want them to change their mind over is what role they'll play when they're 18 and 19.

Imagine 5 years down the track when one gets 30 Brownlow votes in a season. I don't think we'll remember who had 18 touches and half a goal a game in their first year rather than 15.

One other thing I'll note is Jagga's defensive side concerns me a little. Especially compared to Draper who has been racking up tackles against grown men.

I’d certainly take Jagga if Lalor was gone. And I think you’re right, he could spend a year alternating between mid, forward and back. He oozes class and is extremely damaging kicking inside 50.

He just looks like a type that a team like the Hawks would throw the world at because he would take a team like there’s to a completely new level. Definitely has a bit of Nick Daicos about him imo

This was actually a large part of why we selected Dow in the 2017 draft. Dow ahead of LDU and Cerra because we wanted to add some speed to the midfield.
Paddy Dow while you are correct was set apart due to his speed (as said many times in this video) didn't show anywhere near the speed and agility Draper does. There's one or two moments of striaghtline speed in this video but he's slow to get to his feet, does move laterally fast and doesn't break away in the first step or two like Draper does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back