Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 87 22.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

What we need is a midfielder with pace , clearance and kicking skills.
Reckon pick 3 is wasted on Draper. Clears the ball well by hand and short passes but floats his kicks inaccurately when longer. He’s flashy and glossy, caught up in showing off his speed, may mature with experience and tone it down, but not at pick 3.
I don't think any of the top 5 or 6 have all three of pace, clearance and kicking skills besides from Jagga. Draper's pace and clearance stand out more than the others kicking in my opinion. I'd take Draper at Pick #2 if we had it and think it's a coin toss for Pick #1.

I haven't seen the 20m times for Draper. FOS was 12th at the combined for this measure. Quicker than Smith.

I'd also suggest that when you suggest the club is looking elsewhere to replace Owies' goals ... my first thought was 'yes, from the midfield'.
I don’t think they’d look to add 30 goals to the midfield - I’d say the need will be spread largely across Motlop, Williams, Kemp, Durdin, E Hollands, Moir.

Mids will kick as many goals as last year as a proportion IMHO.

I don't think any of the top 5 or 6 have all three of pace, clearance and kicking skills besides from Jagga. Draper's pace and clearance stand out more than the others kicking in my opinion. I'd take Draper at Pick #2 if we had it and think it's a coin toss for Pick #1.
Who would you take if we had Melbournes picks

FOS did 2.98 I think. In a season where he has played with injuries, it's a decent result. High in the agility too and 2nd in vertical leap. Plus he is a good kick and long kick. I'm just not seeing the advantage in the way Draper plays that cancels out FOS' marking and goalscoring prowess.

Both have their pros and cons and time will tell who is better.

Sid is definatelty quicker and more explosive from the stoppage. The eye test alone tells you that. If we are looking for an onballer with pace that's him. Love that he's already playing well against men.

FOS has marking and goal kicking up his sleeve. Makes him more versatile. His kicking is also more damaging though I wouldn't call him a great kick just because the consistency isn't there.

If I try and imagine the best possible version of them both I think FOS's peak potential is higher just because he has more weapons.

That said, I'm still struggling to get past his lack of production.

For me what it comes down to is how hampered FOS actually was this season? If this was him at 90% he shouldn't even be in the running for a top 5 pick but if this was him at 50% that's an entirely different story.

I'm sure the club would have a better idea of the answer to that question.

Both have their pros and cons and time will tell who is better.

Sid is definatelty quicker and more explosive from the stoppage. The eye test alone tells you that. If we are looking for an onballer with pace that's him. Love that he's already playing well against men.

FOS has marking and goal kicking up his sleeve. Makes him more versatile. His kicking is also more damaging though I wouldn't call him a great kick just because the consistency isn't there.

If I try and imagine the best possible version of them both I think FOS's peak potential is higher just because he has more weapons.

That said, I'm still struggling to get past his lack of production.

For me what it comes down to is how hampered FOS actually was this season? If this was him at 90% he shouldn't even be in the running for a top 5 pick but if this was him at 50% that's an entirely different story.

I'm sure the club would have a better idea of the answer to that question.

Going on their peer opinion, FOS is only behind Jagga for No 1 honours, and most phantoms have him higher than Draper.

I don't see Draper as more explosive out of the stoppages so much as he dishes and goes. He does a lot of support running, but he doesn't really take them on a lot. We are talking milliseconds in difference, but FOS being more direct probably looks more dangerous to me.

I couldn't get over how small Draper looked in the SANFL compared to men around him. Again it's only a few cms, but combine that with leap and athleticism and FOS seems so much bigger.

We are seeing things differently, but I am heartened by where scribes rate FOS, but disheartened that he may be gone.

Going on their peer opinion, FOS is only behind Jagga for No 1 honours, and most phantoms have him higher than Draper.

I don't see Draper as more explosive out of the stoppages so much as he dishes and goes. He does a lot of support running, but he doesn't really take them on a lot. We are talking milliseconds in difference, but FOS being more direct probably looks more dangerous to me.

I couldn't get over how small Draper looked in the SANFL compared to men around him. Again it's only a few cms, but combine that with leap and athleticism and FOS seems so much bigger.

We are seeing things differently, but I am heartened by where scribes rate FOS, but disheartened that he may be gone.
Am I missing something, where is the pace from FOS in these clips?

No instances of separation created in this video.

Love the goals in this, and there is one passage where he shows off some pace running alongside Jagga Smith out of the middle, but hard to compare the pace there because there is no defender near him.

Love FOS' ability to hit the goals and clearly a better kick than Draper but I think it's not accurate to say Draper isn't more explosive. He clearly is. Unless there is some footage i'm missing from FOS, but these are some of his better highlights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of requests recently for more vision of Sam Lalor. Given his injury restricted 2024 season we have to go back to 2023 when he was a bottom ager. Here we see him putting in a remarkably powerful game as an inside midfielder given he's a year younger than most of his opponents, bulldozing through stoppage or crunching in with tackling pressure. He found plenty of the footy, but was uncharacteristically a bit variable with his disposal.

He did 2.94 a couple of years ago at SA testing and 7.80 for the agility test. Would have finished 5th and 1st at this year's combine.
And how were those timed, and on what surface and conditions? Part of the reason why we don't see 20m records broken any more is because measurement equipment has changed.

Wouldn't be surprised if most of the top 5 were hand timed.
Lalor could be another Hurn or Rich type player , good footballer, physical maturity much earlier but his ceiling may be not so high.
Hurn was too beefy from the get go, Rich was a much smaller player.

Lalor is different from both of them, but he's clearly pushed his body hard and needs to be told to ease off and be more particular from now on.

And how were those timed, and on what surface and conditions? Part of the reason why we don't see 20m records broken any more is because measurement equipment has changed.

Wouldn't be surprised if most of the top 5 were hand timed.

No idea on conditions. Surely nobody would bother handtiming a 20m sprint? That'd surprise me but I'm no expert.

The eye test to me suggests Draper is the quickest of those top mid prospects but not in that extreme pace catergory so his result seems about right.

I was originally on the Draper train.

Like many others, his pace and burst from the stoppage wowed me.

However, thinking back to our season gone past, what did we/I lament about our footy strategy? It was getting the ball and then just bombing it long and ending up with a turnover.

Daresay it, we don't need 'burst' and bullet train speed from a stoppage.

We need footy smarts and elite ball use and the ability to keep the footy in our possession through smart running patterns.

Give me someone like Pendles, Bont, Gulden who aren't considered quick, but rather just have great footy brains and can execute under pressure.

Is Jagga Smith the one for me now?

I was originally on the Draper train.

Like many others, his pace and burst from the stoppage wowed me.

However, thinking back to our season gone past, what did we/I lament about our footy strategy? It was getting the ball and then just bombing it long and ending up with a turnover.

Daresay it, we don't need 'burst' and bullet train speed from a stoppage.

We need footy smarts and elite ball use and the ability to keep the footy in our possession through smart running patterns.

Give me someone like Pendles, Bont, Gulden who aren't considered quick, but rather just have great footy brains and can execute under pressure.

Is Jagga Smith the one for me now?
Sounds like you want Smith, Langford or FOS tbh

My mind keeps shifting on my preferred order. Whilst yes we need speed through the middle, we also need damaging foot skills. All the available mids have a point of difference and all would make our midfield better.

FOS - Probably the most boom or bust of the touted picks for us. Think he has the scope to be the biggest star of this batch with his movement through traffic, vertical leap, and goal kicking. I’m always super worried about a lack of production. Very rarely does a player lift significantly at AFL level in this regard. Do we take the risk here and go for the potential biggest star or go a safer route.. super intrigued to see what Austin does.

Langford - Along with FOS, this is the guy most likely to become a star of the game from this draft crop IMO. Perfect height to play mid and forward. Creates time and space in traffic. Good repeat efforts. Absolutely beautiful kick. One of the best actions I’ve seen in a long time. Kicks low bullets with near perfect weighting. Also I’d say the most ready to impact in year 1.

Smith - Probably the safest choice. And that’s not saying he’s vanilla at all. Finds the ball at will. Uses it neatly without being deadly. Similar traits to Butters IMO. Some have said he’s more of the same for our midfield but I think he’d be a good fit still. Really think Jagga frees up Walsh and allows him to break from the contest more and become a more lethal player.

Draper - A really exciting prospect. Has nice burst from stoppage and links up well to stay in the play. Has a tendency to loop handballs and is a decent kick without being anything spectacular. I’d be happy if we called his name on draft night but I do think he probably has a lower ceiling than the guys mentioned above.

Lalor - Think he’ll go at pick 1 so less inclined to get my heart set on him but he’s a powerful player. He’ll cause teams havoc with his strength and 1-on-1 ability in the F50 and his power around stoppage. A high grade hamstring injury so young does cast a small worry in my mind but he’s a match winner and has buckets full of X-factor.

So my preferred order as of today (and will probably change again before I settle on the order)... Langford, Smith, FOS, Lalor, Draper.

Really starting to be seduced my Langford’s kicking. He would be a weapon setting up attacking plays and hitting Charlie and H lace out.

Interestingly Ben Camporeale didn’t make Twomey’s Top [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] so only real risk is Saints bidding on him before our Pick.

Twomey added his next [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] on the Gettable show

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is unreadable, but I assume you're saying that Twomey mentioned that he will do a write up on the next 10 (31-40) in the next few days, and that he named 9 of them, and neither Camporeale was mentioned.

Gut feel is that Richmond do a deal with North to get pick 2 then pick up Lalor and Smith.

If this is the case I'd say we'd be choosing between FOS, Draper and Langford with the former being the most likely.

In saying that I wouldn't be disappointed with any of the 5 aforementioned players. Hard to see any draft busts at the pointy end of this years draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back