Votes: 33 8.0%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 102 24.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

In relative term to our existing players, how speedy are the Campo twins?
Both boys are quick. Not lightning, but probably a bit above league average. With decent endurance as well, think their athletic profile is positive. Neither seems particularly inclined to take on the game by foot as a weapon. They are both connectors and sweepers, one inside and one more outside leaning, but capable one on one.

My opinion on who the club will take:
FOS>Lalor>Draper>Smith

My personal opinion on who we should take:
Draper>Lalor>Smith>FOS

That said I am coming around to the idea of FOS on a half forward flank with rotations on ball. He's the most prolific goal scorer of the group but for me his consistency is just too extreme to overlook.

Would be the perfect fit for us if he ends up as good as he's hyped up to be.
Draper>Lombard (bid)>FOS>Smillie>Lalor

Draper is the missing link in the midfield and is AFL ready from Round 1 2025.
Lombard is should be comfortably Top 5 IMO. Not many have the work rate to match their talent. He does & AFL ready.
FOS is awesome but scrawny. Starts at HBF like Sheezel & Daicos then get moved in the middle the following year.
Smillie given a year or two under Cripps' wing could be just as good. Imagine facing up to Cripps, Smillie & Hewett.
Lalor gets too many soft tissue injuries for my liking. When right can play though.

Draper is the one, but being a South Australian worries me.

Ben is slower then Walsh but quicker then Cerra, Hewett, Cripps, Hollands. Lucas maybe similar to Acres.

Ben plays quicker then Lucas but doesn't mean he is quicker. Lucas normally disposes of the ball as soon as he gets it. Seems to kick much better off a few steps then on the run so that might be why. Ben will often take off with the ball and run at the opposition line.

Last edited:
Out of the top 5 or 6 Jagga is the one we NEED the least.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The one we least need is the one who ends up being the least good. No guarantee the one who is the most suitable type ends up being good. I hope we aren't to preoccupied with it and focus on getting the best player. I think they all add something in different ways.

Smith/ Draper
KPD
Ben
Lucas
Rookie B Cat - Duffy
SPP - a tall

Looks like a good influx of talent there :)

Thanks guys
Lucas faster than ben, lucas not overly quick but gets around the ground ok, probably ollie quick

Both boys are quick. Not lightning, but probably a bit above league average. With decent endurance as well, think their athletic profile is positive. Neither seems particularly inclined to take on the game by foot as a weapon. They are both connectors and sweepers, one inside and one more outside leaning, but capable one on one.

Last edited:
Draper>Lombard (bid)>FOS>Smillie>Lalor

Draper is the one, but being a South Australian worries me.
No concerns over South Australian. Played with Camporeale boys this year. Played with Moir last year. Durdin from SA, well both for that matter. Gov, Orazio and young Motlop all gave SA links as does development coach Ebert.

Draft watchers - Draper is speedy, but how far off is Smith & FOS when compared to Draper for speed?
Good luck genuinely assessing that. All play at the coalface. All have their own version of speed. I rate Smith and Draper as better movers in traffic than FOS, but could have a bias. Smith is one of those who weaves through tight traffic without getting an oppo finger on him. Draper is step and burst, for mine FOS is OK on that front, but has more aerial presence and probably scoreboard impact.

Not all tested at combine so straight line pace remains a question for mine and given we are looking for an inside player, not the deciding factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t it Drapers camp reportedly keen for Sid to play for a big Victorian club?

Carlton has done pretty well in connecting with SA players (past and present) don’t think that will be an issue.
Draper & family all support the Crows and has stated it’s every kids dream to one day play for the club you grow up supporting but is happy to go anywhere.

Is he too handball happy or is it just me….

I haven’t seen much of him but what I have seen it appears to me that he handballs more than he kicks and at times unnecessarily.

Good luck genuinely assessing that. All play at the coalface. All have their own version of speed. I rate Smith and Draper as better movers in traffic than FOS, but could have a bias. Smith is one of those who weaves through tight traffic without getting an oppo finger on him. Draper is step and burst, for mine FOS is OK on that front, but has more aerial presence and probably scoreboard impact.

Not all tested at combine so straight line pace remains a question for mine and given we are looking for an inside player, not the deciding factor.

Sid has gone 2.94 over 20m so in terms of testing Draper (2.94) > FOS (2.99) > Jagga (3.03). I'd say the eye test backs that up if you looking at them running in open space.

But Jagga is better in traffic then FOS so is able to use his pace more effectively in tight. He is better at winning the ball and accelerating from stoppage even if he's technically slower.

Way too much focus on athletic profiles over football ability.

Majority of Brownlow medal midfielders are not lighting quick. They can all football.

Teams need a balance of speed endurance etc. Agree we are a bit imbalanced atm and need some more dash. It’s a shame as I think Langford is probably the best prospect at 3, but get that we will likely take fos, smith or Draper

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When did they change that? Used to happen in the draft.
Hi Wickzki, gonna answer this over here, as it may be more generally interesting for this thread than the phantom draft thread.

One of the resources I like is this:

Pardon the reference to *, but it's a really good reference site (I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Lore wasn't behind it).

Note the disclaimer at the top:
This is stupidly long, what’s the TL;DR?
This is it. This monstrous post is the summarised version. The CBA is 180 pages, the AFL Rules document is 190 pages, and there’s a lot more stuff that is just AFL pronouncements covered by the media that isn’t in an official document anywhere, even if you email AFL House and politely but persistently ask for it.

I totally agree with the author here. The AFL seems almost to be deliberately confusing when it comes to the rules governing their competition. The information on the AFL website is out of date (and wrong); the information they send out to draftees is out of date (including the 2024 guide for draftees); the CBA and Rules doc are hidden away in the bowels of the internet, contain outdated and confusing information, leave out other pertinent rules, and we're then left to rely on the odd media release to make head or tail of it.

Ok, so far, that has been just a general rant, and hasn't addressed your question, so, best I've got is this:

It's just a throw-away line, but you can see here:
Meanwhile, clubs have been told they will have to again select a minimum of three players at the NAB AFL Draft after last year only needing to take one because of list reductions. The three live picks can include promoted rookies (before or after the national draft), national draft picks and pre-season draft selections.
The inference is that rookies are promoted outside the draft (before or after).

As to the actual rule governing this, it reads (from 2024 rules):

10.11 Inclusion of Rookie List Player onto Primary List
(a) Primary List
A Club may apply to the AFL to transfer a Player or Players from its Rookie List onto its Primary List:
(i) on the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the National Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 6.1 by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the National AFL Draft Selection meeting.
(ii) in the case of a Category B Rookie, under Rule 26.1; or
(iii) at any time between the National Draft Selection Meeting and the day when its Primary List is lodged with the AFL prior to the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting under Rule 7.1, by lodging with the AFL the form prescribed in Schedule 1 as Form 33. In which case, the Club shall forfeit its last selection or, if more than one player, its last and each previous draft selection at the Pre-Season Draft Selection Meeting.

So, if I've got this right, you can promote a rookie under 10.11(a)(i) before the draft, and lose a pick in that draft, or, you can wait until after the draft and promote under 10.11(a)(ii). In this latter case, you do need to have a list spot available after the draft, and it also affects your options at the PSD.

In any case, long story short, the rookie isn't promoted during the draft. I'm not exactly sure when/if that changed, but suspect that "update" to the rules in late 2021 was the point.

Spot on , flashy speed from stoppages disguises skill errors such as kicking technique, footy IQ, football distribution etc.
If Jagga or Langford are available at our selection either will be great.
Yeah, I'm with ya....if things go according to script, the Tiggs will land pick 2 from Norf and select Lalor and FOS. Lalor being the Dusty clone who happens to wear #4 - their supporters will drop a big pile of chicken manure from a great height over Punt Rd HQ if they don't.

Leaves us with Smith or Langford, or possibly Draper....if I was a betting man, I reckons we'll be welcoming J Smith to the Carlton Football Club on draft nite.

Approximate odds:
$1.50 Jagga Smith
$2.75 Harvey Langford
$6.00 Sid Draper
$1,000 Finbar O'Dwyer
$10,000 Daniel Gorringe

I'm very opinionated on the matter but taking a step back I really don't think we can go wrong at this pick. All the players in the mix would add to our list short term and long term. Still have my preferences but we are in a great spot.

FOS the biggest question mark as he's arguably the best 'fit' in terms of what strengths he brings, but also the most inconsistent/potential based selection.
I absolutely think we can go wrong. There is always a total bust or two in the top 10 picks and we have been the unfortunate club on several occasions.

It might be the trauma of those experiences but I'm very fearful of another total bust. It would be catastrophic

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Back