Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year it seems many on this board ‘prefer’ to play Geelong in finals despite recent form and history suggesting they would be a very challenging matchup.

SCG games are usually tight contests and we cop a hiding when we play them in Vic.

I think none of GWS / Geelong / Port are desirable matchups but of the three I’d feel the most confident against Port who tend to be a different outfit when finals roll around.

Holy sxxx. Had no interest in watching any of this afternoon's games but just checked the scores. Geelong look like they might surpass our 200 pts last year against West Coast.

If we still think we want to play Geelong first up - and they're probably still my preferred option - we'll need Port and GWS to win their away games tomorrow.

Reid was meeting with Geelong staff prior to the game :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Harley Reid:

drowning help me GIF

Every year it seems many on this board ‘prefer’ to play Geelong in finals despite recent form and history suggesting they would be a very challenging matchup.

SCG games are usually tight contests and we cop a hiding when we play them in Vic.

I think none of GWS / Geelong / Port are desirable matchups but of the three I’d feel the most confident against Port who tend to be a different outfit when finals roll around.
Except that we've not beaten Port for several seasons (anywhere) and we've not lost to Geelong at the SCG for about the same length of time.

I think the reason I get annoyed when we don't do this sort of a job on teams very often is because it ****s teams up.

I think back to that GWS game (which ironically was our last win in that big streak earlier this year) and we had them on the ropes. We were miles in front, they looked all out of sorts. Then we completely put the cue in the rack after HT.

Not saying we would've won by 100 but who knows how much we could've belted them by and really mentally screwed them.

Instead when it's our turn and we look piss poor against a good side in Port, what do they do? Increase their margin with every quarter and give us our biggest loss in decades.

Just exorcising all my fears & negativity here to get them out of my system before tonight.

I fear Geelong will flog West Coast so much they'll overtake GWS & Port on percentage and both those teams will lose and we'll have to play one of them (nightmare match-ups) over Geelong (ideal match-up)

You willed the first bit right so far it seems
GWS will beat Dogs, mark my words!
I’ll be shocked if they aren’t in the GF

Might be barracking for a big Port win tomorrow !

Geeze it'd be great if GWS & Freo won and the Dogs were out of the finals.
That would make my day.
Wouldn't mind what happens in our game tbh. Play touch footy & keepings off, just don't lose by more than 140.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think back to that GWS game (which ironically was our last win in that big streak earlier this year) and we had them on the ropes. We were miles in front, they looked all out of sorts. Then we completely put the cue in the rack after HT.
Or maybe they're a quality side, well-coached, who moved a few things around and got back to playing their style. Their ladder position supports the fact they're a quality side.

And maybe we expended a bit of energy getting the lead we did, and they had a bit more in reserve.

We didn't take the foot off the pedal when we played West Coast last season.

As for this year's Port game, that was one of the most bizarre performances outcomes across the league for several seasons. I have absolutely no idea what happened that evening but clearly something was up with the ladder leaders that night (physical? medical? emotional?), notwithstanding that Port also played very well.

Or maybe they're a quality side, well-coached, who moved a few things around and got back to playing their style. Their ladder position supports the fact they're a quality side.

And maybe we expended a bit of energy getting the lead we did, and they had a bit more in reserve.

We didn't take the foot off the pedal when we played West Coast last season.

As for this year's Port game, that was one of the most bizarre performances outcomes across the league for several seasons. I have absolutely no idea what happened that evening but clearly something was up with the ladder leaders that night (physical? medical? emotional?), notwithstanding that Port also played very well.
Are we not a quality side, well-coached and first on the ladder? Yet we got belted by Port still. Bizarre, sure, but it - or something in the ballpark (I did say it didn't have to be 100+ points) - can happen if you punish a team that is off their game.

We've missed some opportunities to give some decent opponents some mental demons that we ourselves may have now.

Are we not a quality side, well-coached and first on the ladder? Yet we got belted by Port still. Bizarre, sure, but it - or something in the ballpark (I did say it didn't have to be 100+ points) - can happen if you punish a team that is off their game.

We've missed some opportunities to give some decent opponents some mental demons that we ourselves may have now.
No side since 1945 has a side has a 100 point loss and won the flag

No side since 1945 has a side has a 100 point loss and won the flag
To be fair, the league only had 4 teams in that year and the Lions won the flag from 4th lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back