Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I'm concerned any team outside of NSW & QLD is wildly advantaged in this competition. The WA and SA clubs aren't our allies whatsoever, so they're all in the same boat for me.

I hate Freo, have no respect for them as a club. Nothing irrational about it.
Freo's probably my 3rd or 4th favourite team after us, daylight, Port, maybe Suns. But yeah, the 4 northern clubs have zero allies in WA or SA. Ricciuto was banging on about COLA and academies.

Freo's probably my 3rd or 4th favourite team after us, daylight, Port, maybe Suns. But yeah, the 4 northern clubs have zero allies in WA or SA. Ricciuto was banging on about COLA and academies.
To each their own. I'm not asking anyone to join the bandwagon. I just have my reasons and have no issue wishing misery on them as a club, same way many others do with Collingwood, St Kilda, Carlton etc.

As far as I'm concerned any team outside of NSW & QLD is wildly advantaged in this competition. The WA and SA clubs aren't our allies whatsoever, so they're all in the same boat for me.

I hate Freo, have no respect for them as a club. Nothing irrational about it.

It does even up in the end look at the bounty of players who have requested trades back to Adelaide/WA sure they lose players but they have chance to even it up.

We lose players and get **** all opportunity to even it up.

I hope Carlton beat St Kilda on Sunday arvo.

The thought of 40-50k odd Freo fans packed into Optus Stadium only to check their AFL apps and find out their finals hopes are gone by bounce-down just makes me happy.
Season 2 Love GIF by LoveIslandUSA

It does even up in the end look at the bounty of players who have requested trades back to Adelaide/WA sure they lose players but they have chance to even it up.

We lose players and get **** all opportunity to even it up.
In the last decade alone they've acquired the following players via the go-home factor: Jaeger O'Meara, Luke Jackson, Will Brodie, Jordan Clark, Reece Conca, Jesse Hogan, Rory Lobb, Travis Colyer, Nathan Wilson, Brandon Matera, Cam McCarthy, Brad Hill, Joel Hamling, Shane Kersten and Harley Bennell.

Of the 14 players they've taken from inside the top 30 picks in drafts over that time, 7 of them have been from WA, and they have only had to match bids for 1 of them.

And this is a club we're supposed to feel sorry for? Root for? Wish no ill upon?

I'll pass.

If you're gonna have an advantage in footy, at least have enough dignity and self-respect to use it to avoid being the most consistently boring, unwatchable example of footballing mediocrity of the last near-30 years.

On top of this, they have an ethics record and player/staff welfare history that makes clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn & West Coast look like they're run by puppies and kittens by comparison. I am not gonna go into details here, but I will say that what's made it to the media barely scratches the surface of the shit that club has done and the careers and lives they've ruined.

But again, to each their own.

Carlton voted us out of the league in the early 90’s don’t forget to steal our better players. Hence I loath them with a passion. I will never forgive Carlton for that. Plus their fans are so obnoxious and SEN’s lovefest for them is sickening.

In the last decade alone they've acquired the following players via the go-home factor: Jaeger O'Meara, Luke Jackson, Will Brodie, Jordan Clark, Reece Conca, Jesse Hogan, Rory Lobb, Travis Colyer, Nathan Wilson, Brandon Matera, Cam McCarthy, Brad Hill, Joel Hamling, Shane Kersten and Harley Bennell.
Plus Blake Acres and Jeremy Sharp.

But Brodie doesn’t belong on that list as he wasn’t originally from WA. Pretty sure he’s a Victorian lad.

It's slightly annoying that we keep doing all the hard work of earning these home finals only to have GWS to find their way onto our side of the draw in the first finals week and reap half the rewards of our efforts (granted one was in Tassie). Very likely to happen again - not sure why most pundits have GWS losing and us still playing Geelong in that scenario?
Don't see a world where Geelong won't absolutely flog WC, and they only need a 50 point win to overtake GWS if they lose.
QF is earlier than I want to play them but still I would very much like to beat them this finals series. 0-3 seriously shits me and I want us to start fixing that - rather meet them later in September though.

Don't see a world where Geelong won't absolutely flog WC, and they only need a 50 point win to overtake GWS if they lose.
I had developed a mental picture of a sturdy WC visiting KP, buoyed by a good win over an injury ravaged Carlton the week before. But after their performance on Sunday I’m inclined to agree with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney-GWS-Suns........................... Brions....................................................................................................................................................................
Everyone else.

It's slightly annoying that we keep doing all the hard work of earning these home finals only to have GWS to find their way onto our side of the draw in the first finals week and reap half the rewards of our efforts (granted one was in Tassie). Very likely to happen again - not sure why most pundits have GWS losing and us still playing Geelong in that scenario?
QF is earlier than I want to play them but still I would very much like to beat them this finals series. 0-3 seriously shits me and I want us to start fixing that - rather meet them later in September though.
If Geelong win by 50 then for them to jump to 3rd they will need the Dogs need to beat GWS by 20+.

Of the 14 players they've taken from inside the top 30 picks in drafts over that time, 7 of them have been from WA, and they have only had to match bids for 1 of them.

And this is a club we're supposed to feel sorry for? Root for? Wish no ill upon?

I'll pass.

If you're gonna have an advantage in footy, at least have enough dignity and self-respect to use it to avoid being the most consistently boring, unwatchable example of footballing mediocrity of the last near-30 years.

On top of this, they have an ethics record and player/staff welfare history that makes clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn & West Coast look like they're run by puppies and kittens by comparison. I am not gonna go into details here, but I will say that what's made it to the media barely scratches the surface of the shit that club has done and the careers and lives they've ruined.

But again, to each their own.
You’ve obviously had a mate who was a fringe player and didn’t make it. It’s a brutal place to be, even for someone like Brandon Jack. Your loyalty is laudable. We know someone of the same time who did have a fair career, and has done very well post-footy, who doesn’t have the same perspective. It would be hard to top West Coast’s drug culture as the nadir of player welfare.
I could argue each of your points individually, but this is obviously deeply personal for you, so we will agree to disagree.

Brisbane is my “second” team. I don’t really care if they win or lose at all, but I guess I have a small soft spot for them as traditional fellow outsiders.

GWS and GCS are too corporate and plastic to inspire any emotion other than mild disdain. I suppose I’m not displeased when GWS win against the Victorian opposition and GCS is funny in how they just can’t make the finals no matter what. I’ll be disappointed when they finally break through and make the 8. They’ll lose the only thing that makes them interesting.

I don’t really care about the rest at all. Port and Fremantle are the blandest and most boring. Collingwood is fun to hate, mainly because of Eddie McGuire. I dislike the Bulldogs because of 2016. I feel sorry for North Melbourne. I don’t hate Hawthorn this season. I sometimes respect Geelong.

Last edited:
I hope the opposite. Freo were absolutely dudded in Adelaide. Their fans are good for banter. Why would you want one of the most advantaged teams in the comp. , complete with Victorian travel advantage to stay alive in the finals. Your Freo antipathy reaches irrational depths.

You see how bad we went against Freo? We comfortably accounted for Carlton.

You’ve obviously had a mate who was a fringe player and didn’t make it. It’s a brutal place to be, even for someone like Brandon Jack. Your loyalty is laudable. We know someone of the same time who did have a fair career, and has done very well post-footy, who doesn’t have the same perspective. It would be hard to top West Coast’s drug culture as the nadir of player welfare.
I could argue each of your points individually, but this is obviously deeply personal for you, so we will agree to disagree.
That's quite the assumption on your part.

Agree with the bolded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Non-Swans Game Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back