Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. I had Tunstill near BOG. Some of the commentary called Rayner when it was, in fact, Tunstill. His running was good, hands clean and tackling brilliant. Couple of questions on disposal, but I suspect that is confidence. He could have been more aggressive. Overall, I think he's jumped right up the cue. Played wing, mid, forward and back as well.

Tuntill looked the best he'd looked since joining the club.

Having Rayner as the standout mid for me was less to do with skills and more to do with his ability to cover the ground and his desire to tackle and defend. The skills will come, but the other parts were very much part of him improving his fitness.

Maybe that's just my approach to judging pre-season performances.

Excited to see what Jimmy can do next week!

The last 2 periods were very painful to watch and I was surprised at how much the game degenerated once our more experienced players hit the showers. Didn't expect it to be the same skill or intensity however it does raise alarm bells for me that our young boys next in line didn't show us some of their potential and give us signs that they have bright futures at our club. Maybe they did and I didn't pick up on it. I put it down to lack of game time and maybe lacking a bit of experience to lead the way but it still was disapointing for me.

The last 2 periods were very painful to watch and I was surprised at how much the game degenerated once our more experienced players hit the showers. Didn't expect it to be the same skill or intensity however it does raise alarm bells for me that our young boys next in line didn't show us some of their potential and give us signs that they have bright futures at our club. Maybe they did and I didn't pick up on it. I put it down to lack of game time and maybe lacking a bit of experience to lead the way but it still was disapointing for me.

It was Ah Chee, Answerth, Ryan, Reville, Brain, Morris, Joyce, Lane, HSmith, Lohmann, Prior and a bunch of top ups all get rotated through.

Can't expect much from those guys. Ah Chee was clearly good but Lohmann and Prior were very poor

How many VFL players did we have out there, with how many listed reserves?

Suns still have an extended rookie list I think, so they don’t have any VFL players as such. They top up their reserves with their best academy kids. 17 year old Leo Lombard made our VFL mids and defenders look pedestrian and second rate. And he was playing with the Suns VFL team last year as a 16 year old.

It was Ah Chee, Answerth, Ryan, Reville, Brain, Morris, Joyce, Lane, HSmith, Lohmann, Prior and a bunch of top ups all get rotated through.

Can't expect much from those guys. Ah Chee was clearly good but Lohmann and Prior were very poor
I actually thought Ah Chee went down a level when the VFL lads came on. He was still one of the better players but that's relative to the others. I thought he was pretty average.

I agree. I had Tunstill near BOG. Some of the commentary called Rayner when it was, in fact, Tunstill. His running was good, hands clean and tackling brilliant. Couple of questions on disposal, but I suspect that is confidence. He could have been more aggressive. Overall, I think he's jumped right up the cue. Played wing, mid, forward and back as well.

Tuntill looked the best he'd looked since joining the club.

Having Rayner as the standout mid for me was less to do with skills and more to do with his ability to cover the ground and his desire to tackle and defend. The skills will come, but the other parts were very much part of him improving his fitness.

Maybe that's just my approach to judging pre-season performances.

Excited to see what Jimmy can do next week!

I was similarly impressed with Tunstill. But I was similarly impressed with him this time last year. And then he sh@t the bed against Port and wasn't seen again.

Will not be bitten by him again. The jury stays out for now.

Last edited:
How many VFL players did we have out there, with how many listed reserves?

Suns still have an extended rookie list I think, so they don’t have any VFL players as such. They top up their reserves with their best academy kids. 17 year old Leo Lombard made our VFL mids and defenders look pedestrian and second rate. And he was playing with the Suns VFL team last year as a 16 year old.
No idea.
My comment was a general one about how dramatically the game changed from the 1st 4 periods to the last 2 periods. ALL these young men were there playing because they are percieved as quality footballers who have potential to play at the highest level at some stage....watching only the last 2 periods of play, I would beg to differ.

I was similarly impressed with Tunstill. But I was similarly impressed with him this time last year. And then he shat the bed against Port and wasn't seen again.

Thought he looked a lot more involved this year. Only one game though. See how he goes this week.

I agree about Lohmann, he just doesn’t seem to have the composure and game sense to turn into an AFL level footballer from what I can see. Hope I am wrong but the signs aren’t great at this stage. In fact I thought his brother showed a bit more than him which is pretty embarrassing.

I was similarly impressed with Tunstill. But I was similarly impressed with him this time last year. And then he shat the bed against Port and wasn't seen again.

Last year they tried him wing in the preseason as wing was still an issue with the side going into 2023.
Wing again his first game v Port and i just don't think he had enough time to adjust to what Fagan wants his wingers to do.
He mostly played that mid/fwd role in the Thursday afternoon game. Maybe found himself on the wing at times.
He had a good 2023 VFL season and was an emergency for the GF so must be on the coaches radar.

A ready replacement for Dev's role from that GF side. Dev may play v Swans and performs well to earn that spot back.
Players that train well and perform in trial games should be given another chance if a spot opens up.

Last year they tried him wing in the preseason as wing was still an issue with the side going into 2023.
Wing again his first game v Port and i just don't think he had enough time to adjust to what Fagan wants his wingers to do.
He mostly played that mid/fwd role in the Thursday afternoon game. Maybe found himself on the wing at times.
He had a good 2023 VFL season and was an emergency for the GF so must be on the coaches radar.

A ready replacement for Dev's role from that GF side. Dev may play v Swans and performs well to earn that spot back.
Players that train well and perform in trial games should be given another chance if a spot opens up.
I see him as a pure midfielder in time but it make take another season or two for him to build into it and for us to find out whether he's really up to it.

He does a lot of things right but presently just lacks the strength and skill level to walk straight in. But he does accept that he's just a cog in the wheel right now and positions himself to dish it off to better players. He's come a fair way from where he was and seems to have a good work ethic.

Could not agree more, Coleman and Wilmot are both extremely talented and have some of the best footy nous we’ve had in a long while. Both very quick decision makers too, which is exactly what we need off the half back to utilise our advantage up forward.
We called out for years to get these types of players into the team. I think both are the most exciting to watch in the comp. We've got a cpl of rippers long term. Another cpl of yrs together and we'll be seeing the best of them. McKenna just as important in the mix down back. A more mature head, the new Dan Rich if you will, able to guide them a bit. Kiddy and Wilmot may miss him early.

Been good to hear the Tunstill reports. I like the W.A. boys, they've got a toughness and will always have a good crack, I've said that many times. I'm wondering if the drop in faith in him over the season is because at this time of year in trials, when he does look good, he's given a more prominent role in the midfield. A prominent role in the midfield in the ressies and he looks good enough to elevate. Then when brought in he's more a wing/mid role, wing not being his strength. It's something I've thought has held Dev back a bit, wing doesn't suit him at all.

Overall, pleasing trial form. A cpl of experiments, that may or may not pay off. Nothing long term on the injury front. A notable focus to move the ball quicker. I hope the fitness levels are up there, that's my biggest concern. They experienced the intensity needed in the Gf, they saw the necessity of endurance. I hope they're up for it.

Not a fan of the "drop a man back in red time" plan. I'd rather see us press fwd. Anyway I still see us as a short step ahead of the field with Collingwood. Carlton first up I think a 4-6 team at best this year, will be a big test. Maybe short a few, Berry, Dev n McKenna, but with the crowd at home I can't see them not switched on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I honestly didnt pay too much attention to the skills, once I saw some guys who are good users at AFL in space spraying the ball 10-20m off target. Then you had a few senior players who are just out there trying to get some kms through the legs and not really going super hard at it (Dunkley the exemption there) so it must be hard to know what the coaches would be looking for

Then in that 5th quarter I was really worried about how badly the midfield was being beaten (and that flowed to the rest of the field) but then I remembered we were several mids short to start the day. With Neale, Ashcroft and Berry out and it did seem like McCluggage was on limited minutes, we were opening with a few reserves in the first 22. By the end of the game we were playing small forwards out of position in the centre square. Tough for them to compete with out proper support.

Once a few senior guys are back, then you have someone like Lyons helping them out it will be very different

Below Tunstill VFL stats for 2023. His first-year stats were pretty good too. Stats taken from:
A great site which is run by someone of Lions BF. Don't want to name the wrong person.

Has had 2 years in an AFL system and been able to get on the field most of the time, so not injury prone.
2022: 15 VFL + 3 AFL
2023: 19 VFL + 2 AFL

1708737009043.png

Below Tunstill VFL stats for 2023. His first-year stats were pretty good too. Stats taken from:
A great site which is run by someone of Lions BF. Don't want to name the wrong person.

Has had 2 years in an AFL system and been able to get on the field most of the time, so not injury prone.
2022: 15 VFL + 3 AFL
2023: 19 VFL + 2 AFL

View attachment 1912223
Tunstill looks like a guy on the up, good disposal and tackle numbers there.

We called out for years to get these types of players into the team. I think both are the most exciting to watch in the comp. We've got a cpl of rippers long term. Another cpl of yrs together and we'll be seeing the best of them. McKenna just as important in the mix down back. A more mature head, the new Dan Rich if you will, able to guide them a bit. Kiddy and Wilmot may miss him early.

Been good to hear the Tunstill reports. I like the W.A. boys, they've got a toughness and will always have a good crack, I've said that many times. I'm wondering if the drop in faith in him over the season is because at this time of year in trials, when he does look good, he's given a more prominent role in the midfield. A prominent role in the midfield in the ressies and he looks good enough to elevate. Then when brought in he's more a wing/mid role, wing not being his strength. It's something I've thought has held Dev back a bit, wing doesn't suit him at all.

Overall, pleasing trial form. A cpl of experiments, that may or may not pay off. Nothing long term on the injury front. A notable focus to move the ball quicker. I hope the fitness levels are up there, that's my biggest concern. They experienced the intensity needed in the Gf, they saw the necessity of endurance. I hope they're up for it.

Not a fan of the "drop a man back in red time" plan. I'd rather see us press fwd. Anyway I still see us as a short step ahead of the field with Collingwood. Carlton first up I think a 4-6 team at best this year, will be a big test. Maybe short a few, Berry, Dev n McKenna, but with the crowd at home I can't see them not switched on.
I think Berry & Dev are a chance to play against the Swans next week according to reports so they may be right to play against Carlton.

Yeah the last two periods were terrible from the reserves. I think the scoring was something like 71-25 in Suns favour in those final two periods. I know Ah Chee played a bit prior to that time, but he was the only one that actually showed anything. Expected more from Answerth and KLohmann but the cupboard is pretty bare with what’s left if we need to rely on many of them. Looks like that dreaded curse of players that are being pumped up off season do zero if KLomanns form doesn’t improve because he was ordinary. It is only one game I know but some performances would want to lift.

According to the Wing Attendance Megathread he was only on the wing for one centre bounce. Of course he may have played the role between goals but there were a lot of goals that day so that seems unlikely.

Don't get me wrong I want him to do well, and to be honest I think he has a higher ceiling than Dev. I'm simply curious/cautious to see how he goes against AFL-level opposition if given the chance. Particularly against Carlton who will be more physical than most in the midfield.

No idea.
My comment was a general one about how dramatically the game changed from the 1st 4 periods to the last 2 periods. ALL these young men were there playing because they are percieved as quality footballers who have potential to play at the highest level at some stage....watching only the last 2 periods of play, I would beg to differ.
I don’t believe many, if any of our VFL top ups are perceived as having potential to play at the highest level at some stage.

A couple of our VFL players are clearly there because of their brothers.

I’d actually prefer if we had more players like Reville, ex academy kids who might yet show something with a couple of more years at a higher level, then add in a couple of our top academy kids.

I believe I heard Bradley MacDonald’s name mentioned in the telecast, so that’s one.

I do wonder where Billy Richardson is this year, and do hope he’s going around again with the academy as an overager. Miller1971 ?

I don’t believe many, if any of our VFL top ups are perceived as having potential to play at the highest level at some stage.

A couple of our VFL players are clearly there because of their brothers.

I’d actually prefer if we had more players like Reville, ex academy kids who might yet show something with a couple of more years at a higher level, then add in a couple of our top academy kids.

I believe I heard Bradley MacDonald’s name mentioned in the telecast, so that’s one.

I do wonder where Billy Richardson is this year, and do hope he’s going around again with the academy as an overager. Miller1971 ?
Dis agree with the top up's comment. They are there because they show promise and not just to make up the numbers.

Yeah the last two periods were terrible from the reserves. I think the scoring was something like 71-25 in Suns favour in those final two periods. I know Ah Chee played a bit prior to that time, but he was the only one that actually showed anything. Expected more from Answerth and KLohmann but the cupboard is pretty bare with what’s left if we need to rely on many of them. Looks like that dreaded curse of players that are being pumped up off season do zero if KLomanns form doesn’t improve because he was ordinary. It is only one game I know but some performances would want to lift.
I still believe Kai will play senior footy sometime this year and will hopefully nail a spot in the 22. One practice match isn't a gaugue on anyone's career at this stage. We have some talented lads in the two's but unfortunately their game on Thursday night wasnt good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back