Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Suns fan I stick firmly to 'practice games mean nothing' to keep my hopes for the regular season.

But if I would have to assess the practice game in a couple of words, here it is.

Suns best 22 were shit, Lions reserves were shit.

FWIW, I have Lions finishing top 4 and ending up in GF with GWS.

I noticed some criticism in Lions threads. No need for it. Enjoy the ride (and not only this year). The list is well set up for continuous success.

FWIW, I have Lions finishing top 4 and ending up in GF with GWS.

I noticed some criticism in Lions threads. No need for it. Enjoy the ride (and not only this year). The list is well set up for continuous success.
Yep the only vital best 22 players we will have trouble replacing over the next 2-4 seasons are Charlie Cameron and Joe Daniher... both almost impossible to "replace" to the same level.

Yep the only vital best 22 players we will have trouble replacing over the next 2-4 seasons are Charlie Cameron and Joe Daniher... both almost impossible to "replace" to the same level.
Hoping trade/free agency lands us another gun forward once they retire to keep the list in contention.

Why, he seems invested.
Have some confidence mate
Sure, I hope for the best.

Ben will be free agent in 3 years. If Suns don't play finals by then there is a good chance he is gone. I just think Max is basically no chance leaving Saints, the club the whole family supports (compared to Ben with Suns).

Sure, I hope for the best.

Ben will be free agent in 3 years. If Suns don't play finals by then there is a good chance he is gone. I just think Max is basically no chance leaving Saints, the club the whole family supports (compared to Ben with Suns).
I’m just going withe Daniher scenario.

Player viewed as the “saviour” has continuous injury problems and wants out and away from the spot light.

Moves to a club with a track record of helping injury prone players, and players seeking a good culture and out of the limelight.

Whole family can move up here, and parents can retire to the Gold Coast.

Either Ben/Max King would be ideal... or Logan McDonald OOC this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Joey. 😍

Him & Hippy in tandem are weapons.
I have come to Love Joe.
He had his best year in Lions colours last year and let’s hope he gets even better this year.
I wasn’t a fan at all when he was with the Bombers.

Happy to go shopping to replace both those players.

Our back 7-8 are locked in for a few years, high quality and will be a strength for a good while. In the midfield we've shopped well getting Neale n Dunkley, developed well with Clugg, Berry, Dev, Tunstill, Fletcher, Ashcroft, and have future guns coming with Levi n Mitchell. We shouldn't have to go to the market for a midfielder for a while.

So I'm happy to splash the cash to get the best we can to replace Joe and Charlie when the time comes. When Bevo finally goes nuts, loses the players and the Bulldogs implode in a few years, have a crack at Naughton, lol.

Happy to go shopping to replace both those players.

Our back 7-8 are locked in for a few years, high quality and will be a strength for a good while. In the midfield we've shopped well getting Neale n Dunkley, developed well with Clugg, Berry, Dev, Tunstill, Fletcher, Ashcroft, and have future guns coming with Levi n Mitchell. We shouldn't have to go to the market for a midfielder for a while.

So I'm happy to splash the cash to get the best we can to replace Joe and Charlie when the time comes. When Bevo finally goes nuts, loses the players and the Bulldogs implode in a few years, have a crack at Naughton, lol.
i dont think cameron is capable of being replaced really, hes the best small forward of his generation. chances we strike gold and find someone of his quality and physical traits again in the lifetime of the average supporter is pretty small let alone in the period immediately after he decides to retire.

no other currently active small forward comes close to him, breust is great but a very different player. rankine / pickitt probably the two who will be the next generations best smalls but i dont see either as having cameron's ceiling

i dont think cameron is capable of being replaced really, hes the best small forward of his generation. chances we strike gold and find someone of his quality and physical traits again in the lifetime of the average supporter is pretty small let alone in the period immediately after he decides to retire.

no other currently active small forward comes close to him, breust is great but a very different player. rankine / pickitt probably the two who will be the next generations best smalls but i dont see either as having cameron's ceiling
Agreed but I don’t think we necessarily need to find someone of identical quality to remain in the premiership hunt. In a few years time I’d target guys like Sam Darcy and Michael Frederick as an example to improve our forward line post Daniher/Charlie/Linc.

Would be great if Logan Morris or Luke Lloyd developed into good medium sized forwards to compliment our developing mids/flanks talent of Coleman, Wilmot, Fletcher and Ashcroft x2.

Bobby Hill would be one I'd add to that group. He'd look pretty exciting out there with our fwds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Preseason training reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back