Autopsy 2024 Rd 11 Blues eclipse Suns with roof closed

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 11 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They did listen to move him out of defence though AG.
Yeah they did :thumbsu:

It was talked about a bit on here and other footy media too so it seemed a lot of people saw potential in Zac to be more effective further up the ground

He is getting better each week so lets hope he stays in f50 and has the occasional run thru the middled - mix things up

Not a great win very wasteful going forward keeping them in the contest, finally sorted that out somewhat and skipped away only to let off late and not punish a defeated side.

Positive wins on the board, williams looks good forward stick with that.

Righto, that wasn’t the greatest display apart from the dominant 15mins in the last, but I’m so happy I’m taking the family out for a succulent Chinese meal democracy manifest, I see you know your judo well, I can’t get my hand off my….
Enjoy rest up and see what we’ve got against a very good mob over in Stig territory!
Have a great rest of the weekend folks, you all deserve it!

On what charge? Eating a meal?

It was a tad frustrating watching repeated kicks in to Andrew.
Much like Moore's game against us for Collingwood last year (that had Sidebottom laughing in the post-game), I didn't think Mac Andrew was necessarily that good. We literally just kept kicking it to him, often under no pressure.

The Good
  • Coaching group finally put their thinking caps on.
  • Williams kicking four.
  • Best game I've seen from Cowan so far. He'll be terrific for us once he gets 30-50 games under his belt. ATM the moment he's the sleeper to watch as he continues to develop.
  • Seeing Ollie running past for the handball receives.
  • Probably the best I've seen us tackle since the GWS game.
  • More of an even team performance across the board.
  • Ball handling was a little cleaner.
  • Curnow looks infinitely better presenting up at the ball carrier.
  • We won.
  • No injuries of note.
The Bad
  • Still got out-tackled by the opposition
  • Not enough pressure in the front half by our forwards
  • Taking our chances in front of goal is still pretty meh.
The Ugly
  • Despite having 130 more possessions than the opposition we didn't manage to get the ball inside 50 any more times than they did.
  • Once again we failed to put a team to the sword despite having a 40+ point lead in the last quarter.

Hard to win the tackle count when you have the pill 130 more times

I thought our pressure was consistently high

Any game of AFL where at 3/4 time a side has 4 free kicks has been umpired terribly.
We didn't get our third until deep in Q3. Remarkable (in the literal sense).

I think it shows that the umpires are on a hiding to nothing. People exhort them to "put the whistle away", and then eviscerate them when they do it. Today was a good example of too few free kicks being just as bad as too many.

On a side note...

I bought the new TV but I had to arrange delivery and they couldn't do it today - even though I told them I wanna watch my blues game :tearsofjoy:

You know if you were in America, you could have sued for mental anguish and probably won. We have it backwards in this country. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a crunch game, simply had to win it, and we did. Not to be sneezed at - we have lost 3 of our last 4 against the Suns at Docklands, and coming in today they were going as well as they ever have. Particularly satisfying to clamp down on their really good midfielders - Rowell, Anderson, Miller - and loved Cincotta's role. More please, much more. I like him up the ground, and I like the idea of giving him a role each week. If it's good enough for Longmire and the Swans, it's definitely good enough for us, and I am encouraged that our coaching setup seems prepared to move with the times.

And kudos to the coaches' box today - the tweaks, when things weren't working, paid off handsomely. Especially in the forward-line, although McKay deserves plenty of credit for changing the dynamic in our F50 through workrate as well as nice clunking grabs. Might not be hitting the scorebaord hard yet, but I liked his game, and he looks far better with a run in the ruck (never thought I'd say that, but it is undeniable).

Love Fogarty in the side. Gets to really important positions, and stabilises us in the forward half like no-one else on the list - when he joins a contest, we don't lose it. Obviously limited in terms of athleticism and skill-set, but he might be the highest-IQ player on our list.

Our pressure was up, right from the first bounce. We blew a lot of easy chances in front of the big posts. But, very happy with the win and the four points.

Thought TDK had his best game ever, he just loves being number one. Poor old Pitto, has been in pretty good touch as well. Great back-up though.

Brilliant to see Lachie Cowan play a break-out game as well. His kicking was just superb.

Skipper Crippa was amazing again, having a great season. Fatherhood has certainly not slowed him down.

Fog made a real difference, especially in the first half. Before he tired a little. Great to have the little tough-nut back.

McGov was very good, strong in one on ones and his kicking is so reliable.

Saady was okay, will be better for the run.

Now we are getting closer to having our best 22 on the park, just need Motts, Martin, Cerra and perhaps Cuners and we will be mighty hard to beat. Things are looking up.

Much like Moore's game against us for Collingwood last year (that had Sidebottom laughing in the post-game), I didn't think Mac Andrew was necessarily that good. We literally just kept kicking it to him, often under no pressure.
I thought he was excellent and so did Walshy.

Williams had a great game

Cincotta was very good tagging miller…would love to see him get that role every week on the oppos best mid…glad vossy is making moves
Haven’t had a tagged since Ed, and Carazzo before.

This is a key missing element, as much as wingers were a couple of seasons ago before we go Acres.

Don’t agree with anyone who thinks our pressure was off.
We had a huge +138 in disposal.
Of that, we were +22 in contested.
We had 58 tackles and lost by -15, yet had the ball much much more. Rowell and Davies are basically the difference for that tackle count in midfield.
The only thing that could improve is forward i50 tackles; 4 between Fantasia, Owies, Williams and Fogarty.
The effort with and without the ball was there today.

Any game of AFL where at 3/4 time a side has 4 free kicks has been umpired terribly.
Hard to believe that GCS executed 73 perfect tackles, 39 1%ers, and the dozens of contests through the game…

HTB is the worst though. Reckon AFL on the inside have made a directive to the umpires. It’s going to take a one or two more 360 dump tackles concussing a player before it changes again though.

If you look at the Mac Andrew’s tackle on curnow in the first, he wraps his leg around Charlie’s leg as he pivoted to kick. That could have ended very, very badly.

Back