Autopsy 2024 Rd 13 Blues shoot down the Bombers to move into 2nd

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13 vs the Bombers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox talking about Bot as the second best defender ever for Carlton, behind SOS. Accolades for him are nice. Hard to believe he is in his 9th year.

There was this lad called Bruce though… Fair player he was.
Yes and still delivering mail, around Preston. Absolute Legend and a ripping fella. Just don't expect a long conversation.

Wow our coaching. Voss and co on fire. They have really taught them how to transition the ball now.

Some of the moves. Cowan wouldn’t have occurred to me for Martin. Superb. Cinc cemented his role in the side forever. E Hollands Centre forward is just top shelf. Williams forward is amazing. He just hangs around Charlie and waits for him to be double teamed and feasts on it. Love having Fog in the side.

I have it at EIGHT games we have pressed the button when needed. Has me wondering whether they conserve energy a bit. 3/4 time I thought “wonder if we will do it again” and they just went smash. 4 in a row. Game over.

We don’t look slow any more. Pitto can’t play in this side while Tom is fit. I do see him getting a game or two to rest Tom later.

Hope McG is ok. He and Saad set our transition up.

It’s a tough one.

Less eyes might become frustrating with holds, pushes, high contact not seen from the wrong side of a contest.

It just seems to me like they’ve “corrected” holding the ball, but stopped paying incorrect disposal.

How many times do we see players being tackled handing the ball to ground - play on no opportunity!

It’s daft.

Tackled holding the ball requires prior yes, but they have to dispose of the ball legally also - seem not to be paying these.
But I don't think this is actually correct if the umpire has already judged there to have been no prior opportunity? In such cases the ball can be knocked out in the tackle or the player with the ball just needs to have made a "genuine attempt" to dispose of it - short of an obvious throw I think you'd be hard-pressed to see many free kicks when the ball hits the deck after an instant tackle.

That said, I think one of the unfortunate knock effects of the HTB tweak, which was supposed to just cause earlier whistles in tackles whether it was for HTB or a ball up, is that what is now considered prior opportunity is more wildly inconsistent across umpires than it's ever been. IMO the average time allowed for prior opportunity has shortened considerably

Commentators keep saying Williams plays the Jack Martin role but I think he's playing the small forward role really well.

He's been a game changer up forward.

I love that the narrative is going to be that * were good enough but just kicked poorly. Keep thinking that *
I mean we only got 41 up. Had we gone on with it instead of relaxing what would the narrative be? Agree with you. Bombers are not up to it. I don’t think we were anywhere near our best and we toyed with them.

If you were doing a best carlton team of the last 50 years who would the key defenders be? SOS, weitering, southby, david mckay? The flankers doull hunter dean? Christ ang and andrew mckay dont get in the conversation….. the two smalls are the tricky ones rhys jones on the bench maybe
Doull, Hunter, Silvagni speak for themselves…you could mount a case for a quite a few to fit in around those three.

Wow our coaching. Voss and co on fire. They have really taught them how to transition the ball now.

Some of the moves. Cowan wouldn’t have occurred to me for Martin. Superb. Cinc cemented his role in the side forever. E Hollands Centre forward is just top shelf. Williams forward is amazing. He just hangs around Charlie and waits for him to be double teamed and feasts on it. Love having Fog in the side.

I have it at EIGHT games we have pressed the button when needed. Has me wondering whether they conserve energy a bit. 3/4 time I thought “wonder if we will do it again” and they just went smash. 4 in a row. Game over.

We don’t look slow any more. Pitto can’t play in this side while Tom is fit. I do see him getting a game or two to rest Tom later.

Hope McG is ok. He and Saad set our transition up.
Think there's a pattern of characteristics here with Cincotta and Cowan being asked to specifically play these shutdown roles.
  • Love physicality and the contest
  • Well built/strong (Cowan of course to fill out even more, but is a great specimen for a 19yo)
  • Huge competitors and do not like to lose
  • Willing to take on whatever role/instructions to get the W.

Well, considering how stressed I was all ****ing game, the margin wasn't even that close.

It felt like we played the game on their terms and beat them anyway. Helterskelter footy, mistake ridden but at the end of it we were much, much more coherent in front half. 4 goals from Lij, Cincotta and 1 from Fog, Durds and Williams each really ****ing helps; takes the pressure off the two talls.

It also felt like Voss is really trying things out. I'm reading in the gameday thread a lot of 'Voss outcoached'; well, I'm looking at our 4th terms over the first two months of the season, and I'm looking at them now and I'm seeing us running games out considerably harder than our opponents. We won without Cripps, Acres and Walsh playing anywhere near their best; Gov didn't have a spectacular night, and nor did Weitering IMO.

Tom De Koning, you're playing the best footy I've ever seen from a Carlton ruckman. It's not just extra mid stuff; this is Dean Cox stuff plus Paddy Cripps stuff. He's faster than our inside mids, stronger than opposition ruckman, one touch below his knees. Since the Sydney game, you've been in rare air.

The forward line is humming, and it's great to see.

Carn, the Blues!

I watched the Fox interview with Weiters and I assume they were sucking up to him

I feel watching the game that we are getting no where near the sort of defensive intercept marks we need, (the lack of scoring from * last night might just have been anomoly)

Maybe it’s why we ended up with so many opposition entries

We seemed to defend okay (bring ball to ground), it’s just other teams defensive bigs are better at peeling off and getting intercept marks
I watch the game and see indecision on when to intercept from any

Good win - but lots to work on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the Fox interview with Weiters and I assume they were sucking up to him

I feel watching the game that we are getting no where near the sort of defensive intercept marks we need, (the lack of scoring from * last night might just have been anomoly)

Maybe it’s why we ended up with so many opposition entries

We seemed to defend okay (bring ball to ground), it’s just other teams defensive bigs are better at peeling off and getting intercept marks
I watch the game and see indecision on when to intercept from any

Good win - but lots to work on
I think the great intercepting defender can be a two edged sword. Jones and Moore both get burnt not paying enough attention to their man. We are getting the intercepts more evenly from 3 defenders.

Happy for them to all play their role. Last night wasn’t the night to take risks defending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 13 Blues shoot down the Bombers to move into 2nd

Back