Autopsy 2024 Rd 16 Blues tame the Tigers easily

Who played well for the Blues in Round 16 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm obviously very happy with how we're going but from what I've seen the good teams have:

- Gears: We definitely have this. Our last 3 wins have been great team efforts, but when games have been in the balance, it's been short patches of footy to put game beyond doubt. Pretty sure we kicked 5 goals in 8 minutes today.

- A very good 'bottom' 6: Don't need to say much here but it's so good to see great team effort every week, as well as everyone playing their role well.

An interesting conversation might be who are exactly our bottom 6.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's an interesting conversation with no absolutely correct answer.

For mine though (based on overall importance to the club for their time).

Diesel and Dominator were great players but not club leaders. Diesel played a large portion of his career elsewhere. Dominator was a huge big game player but erratic off field.

Sticks was similar to Cripps in that he was from interstate and always knocked back huge offers to go back home. Sticks came into a successful team though and never really had to drag a team up the ladder.

Big Nick played for a long time for a club without success and literally dragged our club to the top of the ladder with steely eyed determination. He ended with 5 B & F's and 3 premierships (2 as captain and one as captain coach). To me, if we can win premiership/s under Crippas captaincy he would be well worthy in being mentioned in the same breathe as Big Nick in terms of importance to the Carlton football club. And that's something I doubted that I would ever say about anyone.

Not meaning to denigrate anyone with this. Jezza clearly enters the discussion of best (as in most dynamic) player.
This is the most accurate post in the conversation so far. I never saw Big Nick play as I was born in 82 but my knowledge of our great club is that he was a big part of our modern success and he passed on the baton to others.

It is possible that we will refer to Cripps as Big Pat in generations to come. But he needs to win a couple of flags as captain and if he wins a norm smith to go with it - he will definitely be in the top 2 of leaders of all time. The only debate will be who is the other.

What lobbying is required for the Jezza statue outside the G BTW?

Can even include Jerker Jenkin to throw pieheads a bone.

Long overdue.
Over the MCG. Speccy mode.

Was 5-10 mins before half time and the game was close but this was my first time i sat back, let the angst drain away and said Tigers, just wait until we decide to flick the switch. The boys came good late in the third. The trust is there.

I know it's obvious but this week you just have to mention Cripps. Superlative even though that is not quite the right word im looking for. Just pure pride of hm digging so deep to drive our side forward. Thinking back two/three years, his midfield minutes looked under threat. Has reinvented himself in so many areas! Kicking for goal now is bordering on elite...did i just say that!!

Really happy for Fog and Fantasia this game and their goals. Loved Saad early.

The ruck choice is still a debate and i thought Pitto struggled today against a very combative Richmond ruck. Felt like Nank drove their midfield clearances today and hurt us in the first half. No real HTAs for Pitto that i could see, and he did his usual infringement in the defensive 50 to give up a goal. Gave TDK a chopout so has played his part. For those that want to 2 ruck setup they'd want a lot more from him than today.

Interesting people and media alike are talking about ‘gears’.

I feel as though we’re driving a nice SUV for a couple of quarters before we take out the Ferrari for a spin and when we’ve had our fun just park it back in the garage and put the cover on it for next weekend.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think he's better than Kernahan, Diesel and Nicholls... if we're talking about leaders who impacted the fabric of this club in the way they played and led. There's still time for Cripps to get close to or at that level, though.
You can add Judd, Kouta, Jezza, SoS; Doull.
but he maybe our 2nd best captain after Nicholls
I rate Curnow a better footballer than Cripps and on the way to being the best fwd I have seen at Carlton above sticks, fev.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really starting to hate BT... he used to be pretty kind when we were bad, but he's been insufferable since we've gotten good.

He can't stand it.
BT is a woeful commentator.

Always has been. Always will be.

Nothing to do with Carlton. He's just a moron.

Really, I think he is one of our all time, keeping it in context …where we’ve come from Cripps has stuck with us captained the side won a Brownlow can’t compare it really to the golden era…but we all see it differently
He has to be one of our greatest ever for all the reasons mentioned.

There is NO way Cottrell replaces Hollands. Cottrell doesn’t win enough ball and gets lost as a winger. Been tried numerous times and failed.

With his running ability it should suit him but simply doesn’t

Cottrells best performances has been as defensive HF
I see it the same way. Don't think it's out of the question (especially if Hollands is underperforming), but in an ideal world Cottrell replaces Fantasia as the defensive HF.

Hollands has improved over his early season form. Stronger in the contest, sticking tackles. Still goes to ground far too easily, which is surprising given his brother is so solid.

Doc would have been playing wing if not for injury. Binns is the break-glass depth winger this year. Cottrell looks most likely if required.

The ruck choice is still a debate and i thought Pitto struggled today against a very combative Richmond ruck. Felt like Nank drove their midfield clearances today and hurt us in the first half. No real HTAs for Pitto that i could see, and he did his usual infringement in the defensive 50 to give up a goal. Gave TDK a chopout so has played his part. For those that want to 2 ruck setup they'd want a lot more from him than today.

I agree - it's great that Pitto could take the Nank hit today and give TDK a rest but it's also great to clarify the ruck situation for everyone (in particular the selectors).

Love Pitto but TDK is a freak.

Back