Autopsy 2024 Rd 16 Blues tame the Tigers easily

Who played well for the Blues in Round 16 vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jezza played 1 season as a sole fwd. Curnow is the best pure fwd I have seen @ Carlton. He does things Kernahan couldn't
That Fev bloke went alright. As good a lead up forward I've seen, with a bag of tricks to match.

There is NO way Cottrell replaces Hollands. Cottrell doesn’t win enough ball and gets lost as a winger. Been tried numerous times and failed.

With his running ability it should suit him but simply doesn’t

Cottrells best performances has been as defensive HF
His best performances has been as a high half forward roaming the wing overlapping. Which is pretty much what Ollie is doing really.

Add premiership captain and he may be more revered than all, not just Judd.
He’ll be put at the same level as Sticks, Big Nick, and Jezza. It’d be near impossible for anyone to achieve one of Jezza’s achievements. The last premiership captain/coach.

I won't be making judgements on any player till after they're done.
I love em all naturally. Every one that ever pulled on the navy.

But history decides the status. Its a conversation for 10 years time. At least.
That’s why every week, I vote for every player despite how they played. They pull on the jumper, they are Carlton and deserve our praise. I did the same every week when we were shit.

Agree with all above.

Cotters for Ollie will happen at some point pre-finals I’d say.

The only think holding Ollie back is his strength over the ball and at the player - evidenced again yesterday a few times.

He’s a good kid who could benefit spending some time at The Kenneth Hunter School Of Contesting.
Even if he fills out and ends up with a body shape more like his brother.

Bring back Bruce and Dennis

Damn I miss them two, unbiased and a pleasure to listen to
Even Eddie Everywhere was unbiased, unless it was a Carringbush game and then it snuck through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Fev bloke went alright. As good a lead up forward I've seen, with a bag of tricks to match.
Fev didn't have the tank to take marks on the wing, fill the hole in defence in redtime or consistently bring other players into the game with his footskills. Curnow is more complete than Fevola.

Does Boyd have anything to worry about with the head-high on Mansell (?).

When do we find out ?
Nope, there is clear footage that showed whoever it was ducking his head down after picking up the ball. While there was head high contact, it wasn’t instigated by Boyd. The Richmond player had plenty of time to stand up before the contact.

Ollie does appear to be playing more footy in the defensive half. Acres the same, even moreso, often the last line of defence. Clearly a conscious effort for the wings to flood back, help the defence, and then rebound.

I still think we still look a bit easy to score against. Yet to keep anyone to a really low score except the Freo game which was a slog for both sides. Conceding 70+ every week.

But maybe we are happy with a shootout given our weapons up forward. Averaging 118ppg in the last month. Doubt anyone can keep up with us in a free-flowing game.

Feels a bit like the Ratten era but with way more weapons. Exciting to watch us kick 130+ two weeks in a row.
I think we're doing something different this side of the Port game than we were before.

Against Port, we played slow, holding, grinding footy. We refused to take hard risks and we refused to allow them an undeterred exit from back half; we played precision, despite knowing it's not our strength. We held and we held and we held until halfway through the third, when they began to open up - not us, them - and when they began to take some risks we smashed them into the pavement. It was a 9.6 second half (with 3.5 kicked in that third term) that truly put them away. Now, look at the following games. We go to an early lead courtesy of turnover - Essendon, Geelong, Richmond in the 2nd term - and hold them when they have momentum - 3rd quarter vs Essendon, 1.1 compared to 3.6; 3rd vs Geelong, 1.6 compared to 3.3 - only to burst clear when we know they don't have the legs for the dour defense any longer - 8 goal final term against Port, 5 against Essendon, 9 against Geelong, and seven in the third against Richmond.

It's IMO much more sustainable than previous iterations was. Ratts had the slingshot, and he had 1v1 stoppage design; he went with AFL trends behind the ball, and he allowed the players to determine how and when to enter forward 50. This current setup has superior cattle - arguably across the board, but the top of that 2011 side was pretty good - and is more... driven, I think, but the coaching is markedly better. Ratts used to get done late in games for not having even numbers in front of the ball, while opposition always seemed to outnumber us inside front half when we needed to score. Cue Betts competing in the air against three blokes.

That’s why every week, I vote for every player despite how they played. They pull on the jumper, they are Carlton and deserve our praise. I did the same every week when we were shit.
So everybody gets a participation ribbon. Whatever floats your boat though.

For mine, if I think a player has been a little lazy or uncommitted. Then they don't get a tick.

Nope, there is clear footage that showed whoever it was ducking his head down after picking up the ball. While there was head high contact, it wasn’t instigated by Boyd. The Richmond player had plenty of time to stand up before the contact.
Boyd also went straight to him after he got him to make sure he was okay, pulled up as hard as he could the second he saw the bloke duck his head, and went and checked again after the guy took his kick.

If he gets done, it's a farce. Bullshit. You can hurt someone by accident, but this is akin to someone shoving a knife into their toaster.

Weitering is the best Centre Half Back I have seen at Carlton. Doull was really a flanker who pinched hit at CHB. He is better than Sexton, Perovic and Mckay (swingman). My point with these posts is I am not ageist when I don't believe that Cripps is not the best. I just think he is not quite to the standard of Williams, Judd, Kouta, Ashman as a Mid. Adimittedly I have Ashman bias. There are players in this era that are the best and for me there names are Charlie Curnow and Jacob Weitering. If you like the futures market on All time great Carlton Players keep a 3 year watch on Elijah Hollands. He is giving me contemporary Brent Crosswell Vibes based on what I have heard. Maybe not as good a contested mark but his effect on the outcome of games is similar, in the sense he creates game breaking moments across the half fwd line. I sense his capacity to do the same as a centreman, will become evident

There is NO way Cottrell replaces Hollands. Cottrell doesn’t win enough ball and gets lost as a winger. Been tried numerous times and failed.

With his running ability it should suit him but simply doesn’t

Cottrells best performances has been as defensive HF

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Elijah certainly has a knack of the 20 disposals and a goal number.

Across the whole season he's averaging 17 touches and almost a goal a game. He hasn't even played 30 games yet...

He'd need to captain multiple premierships on top of that resume to be in the conversation as best Carlton player of all time. Given our history being greater than the majority of other teams the threshold on the best player of all time also lifts in my opinion. Definitely atm one of the best we've had in a long time.
I think he’ll get bonus points for being the one that dragged us out of the doldrums though. Im old enough to remember the history, but young enough to have spent > half my life watching an average to shit to team.

Crippas 1 flag would be worth 3 of the other to me.

Team is really putting together "team" wins now which is awesome.

If the boys make and win the GF regardless of who plays and gets a medal that day all who have played this
season should be proud of themselves for any contribution they have made. It's a bit of a shame in a way because the 23
that run out that day are not the only reason the team got there.

Things of note for me:

Assuming it wasn't forced great decision to play Pitt against Nank, both big push and shove guys and TDK's rest will be massive for him.

Will put my hand up and say I thought Fanta would be the first to go when others are ready but if he can contribute similar going forward he will not be going anywhere.

Owies ability to find space inside 50 is such an attribute.

Good to get some k's into Cez without killing him.

The Cow is just getting better and better.

Walshy with a big f you to commentary during the week.

So happy for Fog hitting the scoreboard.

Zac Williams; besides his goal sense his delivery by foot is elite.

Charlie and Harry playing truly selfless footy.

Newman is back to playing at last season's level which is massive.

Boyd also went straight to him after he got him to make sure he was okay, pulled up as hard as he could the second he saw the bloke duck his head, and went and checked again after the guy took his kick.

If he gets done, it's a farce. Bullshit. You can hurt someone by accident, but this is akin to someone shoving a knife into their toaster.
As soon as he saw him duck again, he also raised his arms. He should have zero case to answer, but we are talking about Christian here.

Back