Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayZac Williams
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshAdam Cerra
Interchange from:Alex CincottaOrazio FantasiaGeorge Hewett
Brodie KempMatthew Kennedy
Emergencies:Caleb MarchbankJesse MotlopMarc Pittonet

Tigers finally have their preview thread up.

Excited Scott Evans GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Is the whole idea of the sub being speedy and fresh-legged to 'inject some speed' into the game a bit of a myth?

Are there some recent examples of this happening? Seems like an inside-mid like Kennedy/Hewett as sub would be more impactful as they're immediately around the ball & can bash, crash, win the ball and get it forward.

A wingman or small fwd coming on late and having to get up to the speed of the game reading it from the outside in such a short time frame would seem harder to me.

Just a thought.

Interesting isn't it, depends on whether you get an injury or whether it's a tactical move?

Injury, you want a utility player, tactical could be speed in the dry or brawn in the wet?

Doc would be a good sub as he has many strings to his bow.

Gary Rowan for Geelong, 193cm fast, can take a grab and kick a goal, thought he did alright for them when he came on considering the contest.

Some there are expecting 100 points shellacking...lets not disappoint their request.
It's a tough one. I'd be happy for a 1 point win against them (any given Sunday). But a huge win will be one of those things I think Vossy would want to tick off and another 4 quarter performance with that.

Nobody deserves to miss and one game back after a bye, so theoretically little need to rest someone. We have the luxury of playing a lesser opponent, so I think playing Cez as the sub may be an option. Plan to him on 3/4 time when the heat likely out of the contest, but knowing if called upon earlier can run out the game. Durds goes back for a full game in the twos.

A poster did allude in quite mysteriously that Newman may miss, if so, give Cincotta a break from tagging duties and play him in the backline. Could allow Cez straight back in or elevate Durds or maybe Motlop.

Doubtful Cez does time in the reserves. Martin needs to, let’s not upset the forward dynamic before he is fully wound up. Kemp for me forces Marchbank to earn a run and consolidate his fitness. Cuningham will be slow burn, being on limited minutes in the twos. I think Cotts is a perfect candidate to return via the sub vest when the time is right.

Pitto will get a call up at some stage to give TDK a chop out or rest. While his confidence is up, it would be interesting to see his (TDK) impact forward. I suspect he would go to a new level there as well. Tom has the no. 1 spot, but we need to keep Pitto up to the mark and engaged while not having Tom gassed at the pointy end of the season.

Tough gig being a selector for the remainder of the year. Hoping we can manufacture some rests and rotations through the squad rather than “dumping” deserving players.

Good problem to have, there's an old saying, "You can't have success without disappointment". Players will miss out and they will be good players, but they are the reason that the team becomes successful

It's a tough one. I'd be happy for a 1 point win against them (any given Sunday). But a huge win will be one of those things I think Vossy would want to tick off and another 4 quarter performance with that.

A 1 point win over this Richmond side would be quite concerning tbh...

No doubt would be happy with the win, but we'd have to perform so far below what we have the past 4 games and if that eventuates, like I said... it would be quite concerning...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A 1 point win over this Richmond side would be quite concerning tbh...

No doubt would be happy with the win, but we'd have to perform so far below what we have the past 4 games and if that eventuates, like I said... it would be quite concerning...

% booster would be nice.

I said at the end of pre season Kennedy was flying and needed to play midfield. He is a better player than Hewett (who I rate) if left to play his role. IMO the weekend showed that

I also said TDK will have a breakout year if rucking alone

Please leave them there

Cerra is vital but will have to work his way back like Motlop. These players having to "earn" their spots makes us better and winning should be rewarded

We are in a great spot for this time of year but a long way to go

I'm 50/50 on Cerra playing in the AFL side or VFL side. His returns to play are always poor. He's a player who needs games under his belt.

I also believe he should be returning to the team in a different role. Half forward who spends some time in the middle. Would be be better than Fantasia?

There is also a chance he could come back as the sub. Push Durdin out. I'm not sure if it's ideal to play a player coming back from injury as the sub though.

It's a hard one. My gut feeling is that he could come back via the VFL. All our mids are in form and Hollands has added an extra good midfielder to the mix.

Other side of the coin is that this is a good game to bring Cerra back in as Richmond are weak opposition and this should be an easy game.

I am actually leaning towards Cerra playing VFL and playing 50/50 mid/forward. I don't know, depends how well he has been training and how well the club think he is fitness wise.

Cerra as a winger is also a possibility.

Happy to see our team look like this, either this week or the next.

Newman Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Boyd
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands McKay Cerra
Cincotta Curnow Owies
DeKoning Walsh Kennedy
Cowan Hewett Fogarty Williams
Fantasia
Durdin Marchbank Motlop

Last edited:
I'm 50/50 on Cerra playing in the AFL side or VFL side. His returns to play are always poor. He's a player who needs games under his belt.

I also believe he should be returning to the team in a different role. Half forward who spends some time in the middle. Would be be better than Fantasia?

There is also a chance he could come back as the sub. Push Durdin out. I'm not sure if it's ideal to play a player coming back from injury as the sub though.

It's a hard one. My gut feeling is that he could come back via the VFL. All our mids are in form and Hollands has added an extra good midfielder to the mix.

Other side of the coin is that this is a good game to bring Cerra back in as Richmond are weak opposition and this should be an easy game.

I am actually leaning towards Cerra playing VFL and playing 50/50 mid/forward. I don't know, depends how well he has been training and how well the club think he is fitness wise.

Newman Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Boyd
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands McKay Cerra
Cincotta Curnow Owies
DeKoning Walsh Kennedy
Fantasia
Durdin Marchbank Motlop
Only change I would make this week is Motlop for Durdin. Cerra can play twos to build fitness and form. Durdin has been the sub for two weeks and needs to play a full game.

Newman Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Boyd
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands McKay Cerra
Cincotta Curnow Owies
DeKoning Walsh Kennedy
Fantasia
Durdin Marchbank Motlop

The problem with Cerra as sub, is if we get an early injury.

It was good enough for a bloke named Chris Judd to come back via VFL. I just feel if he plays VFL and feels a bit sore during the game he can pull out or just have managed minutes. He has to come back fully confident and raring to go, same as Martin.

Newman Weitering Kemp
Saad McGovern Boyd
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands McKay Cerra
Cincotta Curnow Owies
DeKoning Walsh Kennedy
Fantasia
Durdin Marchbank Motlop
Given how bad our VFL team is, Cerra will probably find it harder to find touch there than getting silver service from Cripps all afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back