Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

They had numbers around the drop, and got the ball to the outside so easily.

Our inability to get numbers to the drop, particularly at half forward and inside 50, was a key reason why we lost that game.
Realistically, it's a coaching/selection problem created in midfield. By dropping Hewitt, you leave someone needing to take his role tagging/standing the opp. best mid, which in this case was Coniglio. Cincotta takes that, but now he's off the forward flank - which I remain convinced was a ****ing dumb move, because he's been exceptional at hitting the scoreboard as a tagger to a key driver off half back over the the last month of footy. That hole which is opened has to get filled by someone, and it happened to be Cotts.

Cotts comes in. He misses his shot at goal, and keeps blasting away; he is so far away from his early season form that he looks like he needs a month of footy to get humming. Cotts is not the pressure player Owies is; Owies averages 2.2 tackles a game (compared to Cott's 1.6) and 1.4 tackles inside forward 50 (compared to Cott's 0.7). This is a telling omission, because if you look at the two most divergent stats from our usual performance it's the marks differential and the tackles inside 50 count.

It honestly doesn't say to me a lack of effort, not when in addition to that stat you also take into account their +35 mark differential; you cannot tackle a player who has taken a mark.

They moved the ball so quickly and so easily that they found targets who were out constantly. That is more a problem than raw tackle numbers, IMO.

Usually we put pressure on the kicker, which prevents the clean disposal and therefore causes turnovers. If we are failing to put pressure on, that has to be down to effort.

Also, **** Toby Greene.

He punches Kemp in the guts like a germ, and then says to the umpire “who gives a **** if he’s injured.”

All class.

I thought Charlie would have rolled back as the loose at some stage during third quarter one to get into game and also help stem the bleeding .. he kicks more goals than Harry but for me Harry is the better fwd no matter the opposition ..
we couldn't defend the arcs and let GWS free at back of stoppage to then handball out.. our ability to defend hand carry from clearance at times is a worry -- clearance work around the ground is George speciality and his cover at stoppage was missed tonight ..
think we just didn't have the right ingredients -- by trying to make a statement that roles get you a game it didn't seem to work tonight ..
one thing that stand out is we need a big bodied lockdown to pair both weiters and a third tall interceptor ..

We will bounce next week .

Usually we put pressure on the kicker, which prevents the clean disposal and therefore causes turnovers. If we are failing to put pressure on, that has to be down to effort.
When they were bursting clear in the second and third terms, they did that thing that only GWS can do; they were nailing 5% kicks for a good 20 minutes straight, after they kicked a series of goals off the back of seeking out high contact. While I acknowledge that our pressure in front half was less than it usually would be - because it was - I also question how one is supposed to stop GWS when they're in that mood.

They'd have beaten an awful lot of decent footy teams tonight.

Not always. Hard to pressure when the opposition has +1 or +2 at the drop of the ball.

Usually it's effort (players not working hard enough to get to the contest), other times it's structural (playing an extra around the ball because our tagger is starting at HF).

Hard to tell what the cause was today - defensive effort did look off even in the first quarter, so I'm inclined to believe that was it, but not sure we went in with the best structure either.

Hogan only got 1 free kick and we won the free kick tally quite handily. First time since Round 8 that we have won the stat. 6 contested marks to Hogan actually. He smashed up genuinely.

Studs in the back mark

Crap free to kemp

I could handle a close loss if we had an off week and fought all night to go down but conceeding essentially 15 goals in a row without response is alarm bells worthy.

Shitload to work on after that, leaders need to have a good hard look at themselves.
I said it during the week. All the talk about us being the premiership favourites and the tough month we have coming up. We haven't achieved anything yet. Long way to go but we play the Dogs on the rebound, another quick side. Then we play North who won't be easy beats as some may think and then Port off a 5 day break.

I don’t think that was a “giant step backwards”.

We lose our best player for 20 minutes. It throws out our defence and the Giants start winning centre clearances at the same time. Huge turnaround in that period. But we manage to kick 5 goals to 1 in the last quarter and get within a couple of errors of saving it. I’m not looking for any bridges to leap from after that game. The Giants are a better side than their ladder position suggests and they were at home.

What it does say is that we need to strategise for when Weiters is absent, because when he’s gone, our defence goes to water.

Reality check. Next.
GWS had two of the best 5 players missing. Taylor and Kelly. No excuses as we basically full strength. Need to be ruthless at selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had a lot of concerning efforts from players, but Charlie seriously needs a rocket. His efforts just aren't good enough. We get a couple of highlights from him per game, but his consistency of effort just isn't there.
If Charlie plays with the lack of intensity and presence that he displayed tonight we are not winning the Premiership.

Bit of a wake up call that we aren’t the Harlem globetrotters.

Nothing handed to you in this game, need to make a few tweaks going forward.

Few things:

- Cottrell not good enough to come straight into the AFL after an injury layoff.

- Motlop will come in for Fantasia. His 4 goals v Richmond looks like an aberration.

- I think when we play TDK we can afford to play Kennedy and Hewett. TDK is like an extra midfielder.

- A 2nd proper defender might be a missing piece. Maybe bite the bullet and see if Marchy can offer that instead of Kemp.
Marchbank has been horrendous in the reserves.

Also, **** Toby Greene.

He punches Kemp in the guts like a germ, and then says to the umpire “who gives a **** if he’s injured.”

All class.
If the MRO doesn't go Greene for what he did, and the media don't go Greene for what he said, they're a sad joke...

Curnow has been shocking this year. He has shown glimpses or brilliance but nowhere near his best. For those saying he is on his way to winning a third Coleman, I say it says more about his competition than it does him.

There are 2 different Curnow's that roll up, first one is one that is willing to roll his sleeves up and work for his goals. We saw this Curnow against Essendon.

The other Curnow is a lazy, lack lustre Mr Hollywood Curnow, which we saw tonight and against Richmond. This version you will see him trying to wrestle his opponent and stroll as if to "chase" his opponent only for that said opponent to waltz away with no pressure.

Extremely frustrating but does have the potential to offer 4-5 minutes of brilliance where he may kick you 4 goals in a blink of an eye.

So much of ‘Old Carlton’ in that loss, it’s disturbing;

• Giving up large leads after good 1st qtr starts
  • Kick and hope
  • 1 arm out as the OP glides by half attempt tackles
  • unforced skill errors
  • refusing to pressure the OP and letting them peel off everywhere
  • reliance on the same senior players (Cripps, Weitering) to pull us out of a hole
  • refusal to make the obvious coaching changes despite OP getting well on top

That’s the loss we ‘had to have’, absolutely no more excuses.

Last edited:
Just home from a party and not following the game. WTF happened. Maybe a loss we needed to have to wake up to ourselves. They said that in 95 and we didn't. Still won the flag.
We aren't the 95 team unfortunately

People were saying this team is better than our '00 one. Well no, our '00 team kept the foot on the throat when they had a big lead, especially against a finals contender interstate. Take a look at the game at the Gabba for example.

I don't think we can afford another loss for the rest of the year if we want to stay 2nd, because chances are even if we do finish 3rd, we could play Freo interstate. Finishing 4th will mean a trip to the SCG.

1. 50 points scored in a quarter
2. 15 points scored in the next 2
3. The opposition scores 90 points in that time.

That is the very definition of a weird game.

The opposition can't score like that if they don't win the hard ball.

Hewett is slow. That is our dilemma. One of Hewitt Kennedy or Carroll to support Cripps.

Tonight pace killed us. It’s our Achilles Heel. Walsh tagged again made it hard
Sounds ridiculous but Cunners as a mid rotation would help. Blokes got a body made of glass but we do lack any sort of defensive speed when things aren't going our way.

People were saying this team is better than our '00 one. Well no, our '00 team kept the foot on the throat when they had a big lead, especially against a finals contender interstate. Take a look at the game at the Gabba for example.

I don't think we can afford another loss for the rest of the year if we want to stay 2nd, because chances are even if we do finish 3rd, we could play Freo interstate. Finishing 4th will mean a trip to the SCG.

Based on evidence so far, no our 2000 side is better than this one. Played some of the best footy I’ve seen a Carlton side play that year during our 13 game unbeaten run.

This side doesn’t seem to have the killer instinct in them, yet.

A disappointing loss with a lot playing poorly for half of the game. We reset and move on to next week pretty quickly I would have thought with our eyes firmly planted on second place.

Our season is hardly in the death throes.

Last night's result doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Back