Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

A disappointing loss with a lot playing poorly for half of the game. We reset and move on to next week pretty quickly I would have thought with our eyes firmly planted on second place.

Our season is hardly in the death throes.

Last night's results doesn't change anything as far as I'm concerned.
Absolutely not

Still second and going well

Just cant have many more of these types of games now

Probably only afford to drop another one by seasons end to lock in 2nd

Cottrell wasn’t the reason we lost

Attitude and effort was the issue. IMO it’s that simple
100% this, people need to stop looking for scapegoats every time we lose. Any drop in intensity across the board when playing good teams is likely to be costly.

I thought we were putrid for an hour of footy

Spanked in the middle of the ground, TDK was generally monstered, their mids were tougher for longer until the ball was released

You will not win games of footy when you allow clubs to move the ball with that speed

Tonight was an interesting learning curve for Kemp, but not sure why Weitering didn't line up on Hogan

I thought our role players were poor

Newman, Cripps, McKay, Kennedy our best
Yep TDK was out muscled and we should look at who should be in to play against a strong beast like that.
It should have been Pitto in tonight as well

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Charlie needs to pull his head in, zero intensity, has been sooking it up all year. Is he is sore, give him a week off.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
This. .
Charlie frustrates the hell out of me nearly every game because if he doesn't mark the ball he just stands by and watches..
No chase, no tackling to try to keep it in the area.

It's a bit Fevish to be honest....

Yup.

Haven’t looked at the numbers, but we got nothing out of Cerra & Walsh.

They had zero impact, & apart from Cripps, we got smashed in the middle.

Would prefer to see Kennedy get more time in there too.
Hewitt had a massive game before he was subbed the next week... I don't get it as we need his strength and tackling...what's the story there...???

Cotts should have had at least one game in the two's to get the match practise...

Ollie needs to make way for someone else for a little while..

Owies the Sub ...???? We need him in the game from the start as he brings heart to the game...

Last edited:
Why does Charlie persist with standing and trying to out wrestle his opponent?
He’s been doing it all year.
His biggest weapon is his athleticism, yet he doesn’t use it.
Is he injured?

I’d get him to sit down and watch some Waterman tapes.
That guy knows how to utilise his assets.
He should be at centre half forward and kicking sublimely to Harry from there...

Wayne Carey style

We were 39 points in front of a team that won 2 of 7, who were undermanned. Absolute shit. Where was that final quarter desperation in the 2nd and 3rd.
I have a bad feeling this result could derail our season. We won't finish top two with the draw we have. It's been horrendous and easily the toughest in the comp.

The headline is a bit dramatic albeit I get people are disappointed given the start we had. That said it felt a bit unsustainable so I wasn’t entirely surprised they came back hard. I had this one pencilled in as a lose at the start of the season. Also we’re still second on the ladder. Probably not a bad loss to have if there is such a thing. Obviously the response next week is important, and I think we’ll get the response we want.
Bulldogs play a similar game style to the Giants. This is a 50 50 game and I'm concerned about their speed on the spread.

I have a bad feeling this result could derail our season. We won't finish top two with the draw we have. It's been horrendous and easily the toughest in the comp.
We are every chance of finishing top 2, we don't have a terribly difficult draw ahead at all. Collingwood looks to be the toughest game and they are beset with injury at the moment. If our players are switched on mentally, we will win.

Cottrell wasn’t the reason we lost

Attitude and effort was the issue. IMO it’s that simple

True but the balance was way way off

Fantasia was playing Cotts role prior to this recall.
The decide to play Cotts back in his normal role and Fanta to then go back and play the small forward role that Owies was red hot in….absolutely threw the balance off

Hewitt dropped….conditions were literally perfect for a mid like him last night….I don’t get it…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are every chance of finishing top 2, we don't have a terribly difficult draw ahead at all. Collingwood looks to be the toughest game and they are beset with injury at the moment. If our players are switched on mentally, we will win.
If you think bulldogs, Pies and Port off a 5 day break are easy beats I don't.

Could easily drop all 3.

If you think bulldogs, Pies and Port off a 5 day break are easy beats I don't.

Could easily drop all 3.
I never said easybeats, I said if the players are switched on, we beat them all. I will reiterate the only concern I have is the Collingwood game.

This. .
Charlie frustrates the hell out of me nearly every game because if he doesn't mark the ball he just stands by and watches..
No chase, no tackling to try to keep it in the area.

It's a bit Fevish to be honest....

I had a feeling when he only ran on the ground 3 minutes before the bounce something was up. When he's not moving and jumping properly he ends up wrestling. He wasn't right, hopefully something minor.

Too many players down to blame any one particular area, but just a couple of notes:
  • No point bringing in a player with leg speed if you're going to lose that advantage by using him as a "stopper". Even less point bringing him if he comes in with no match fitness and using him as a stopper in a "body-on-body" role.
  • Playing 2 taggers tells me the coaching staff were too busy nullifying a undermanned opposition rather than backing in the game plan that got us 6 points clear in 2nd.
  • When you have Walsh being heavily tagged it's better to get Walsh to tag one of the opposition's mids. While now Walsh has 2 opponents on him, it frees up someone else. WTF are our coaches doing???
  • Not enough pressure in the front half by our forwards last night. Allowed the opposition to waltz out of the back half with little to no pressure last night. 4 to 12 inside 50 tackles says it all.
  • Got absolutely smashed around stoppages last night for the majority of the game. No Hewett meant we couldn't change things up as much as we have during the season so far. Coaches did give both Fog & Elijah a run through there though.
  • Our pressure was really poor all over the ground last night. Hard to be critical of the defence when the ball comes in at speed by an unpressured opposition.
  • We're playing far too many small forwards, some of whom can't perform anywhere else. Do we really need all of Williams, Fogarty, Owies, Fantasia and one of Cincotta or Cottrell depending whom they are matched up on??? Don't forget we also play McKay, Elijah & Curnow down there. For me that's too many and it hurts you in other areas of the ground. I'd be looking to offload 2 of those smalls and rotate one of Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Cripps & Walsh through there.
  • Full credit to GWS. Sometimes ya just gotta dips ya lid and acknowledge you got beaten by a better team on the night.
In a couple of other things:
  • Liked the look of young Fonti (GWS) taken in the 3rd Round of last years' National Draft. Great vertical leap, good foot skills and runs hard. Might develop into a great winger down the track???!!! Great talent identification by the Giants recruiting team....yes I'm directing that at you Nick Austin.
  • In another jab at our Recruiting Department, can you PLEASE get off your collective arses and find a couple of decent KPDs. Trade one in and draft another. Enough of this grabbing 2 bit hacks in the hope that some magic sauce will somehow turn them into guns. If that means sacrificing one or both of the Campo boys, then so be it (oh shock, horror!!!). Some of us have been banging on about this for several years now. ATM it's Weitering or bust.
  • If I could pinch one young kid out of GWS it would have to be Finn Callaghan. The amazing agility that comes with that pure acceleration in a 192cm package is tremendous.

We have a defence issue when we have a strong leading forward in the opposition. Weitering is slow and even worse when he has a niggle. This forces Kemp to play on the power forwards. McGovern can't do it. I really feel sorry for Kemp, because he gives his all, often against the odds. He takes all the hits back there too.
Agree.
Mcgov as the interceptor or defender was pretty absent last night, kemp undersized against hogan but who else could take him?
Lot of knee jerk “bring marchbank in” posts forget how poor he was when he came in.
Another 195cm+ defender please..but from where??

True but the balance was way way off

Fantasia was playing Cotts role prior to this recall.
The decide to play Cotts back in his normal role and Fanta to then go back and play the small forward role that Owies was red hot in….absolutely threw the balance off

Hewitt dropped….conditions were literally perfect for a mid like him last night….I don’t get it…

This is so true but sad ...

why would they mess around with the balance of a team that was playing so well - just to fit an out of form cotts in?

Giants brought the intensity, we only had bookends of it. Other than Crippa we didn't have a whole lot who won their battles. Not making a move with Hogan was costly. It sucks getting to see the team up here when we seem to struggle. Plenty of improvements to highlight on the vision this week.

This is so true but sad ...

why would they mess around with the balance of a team that was playing so well - just to fit an out of form cotts in?
Can't have all 3 of O Hollands, Acres, and Cottrell in the team at the same time unless there are too many injuries.
Maybe it's time to give Ollie a rest and let Cottrell build up some match fitness.
Just observing , but they seemed pretty happy with themselves at quarter time and the pressure just wasn't there for the next 2. Proof that footy is played 95% above the shoulders.
We will be ok but there needs to be a message sent that if you don't bring the intensity then it's next man in who will

Biggest issue going forward for me is Curnow, absolute deplorable game. Failed to compete, looked like he wasn’t even trying, basically having a sook.
If he halfed a few contests we probably win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Went back to wrestle mode…halves one contest which we score from…sets up another to H, had a set shot which he missed and goal from the square.

Needed to get in his bike a bit, I would have swung him into defence when Wieters went off

There is some wild rumour he did the ankle in the warm up…mulligan maybe ??

Have a feeling the player's were drinking their own bathwater a bit during the week. We did get a lot of attention in the footy show's. They were all singing our praises. Also with giants having some really poor form, did we take them a little lightly?

Was not only the player's who were well down, but the coaches and selection committee just did mot seem to put much thought into this game.

Anyway, maybe this is just an aberration. Vossy should respond by being a bit tougher on them this week. It really was a wake-up call.

Selection wise, Cotts should be better for the run and Vossy loves him. George and Owies need to be playing full games.

Charlie is a bit of a worry, I think because he is such a rare talent that we all do expect a lot from him. Maybe Vossy, when he sees him struggling like last night. Swap him with Harry and play him out of the goal square for periods.

Motts needs to come in now, for Fanta. Cuners would be an ideal choice for sub imo.

Back