Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that we got big headed but believe we got complacent and lazy. To win a flag takes nothing less than 100% commitment. 5% off is all it takes to fall short and that’s what we did last night with not enough pressure and tackling in the middle two quarters. I’m sure we will learn the lesson.
Yep, if we're searching for positives it might just be that we got a little reality check to re-align expectations and requirements without it being a disaster ladder wise.

As others have said, I'd be looking for a big response against the Dogs this week.

On the ruck discussion, something I noticed with TDK was he tried to grab the ball out of the ruck way too much. He's done it very well since becoming the no.1 ruck, but I feel like Sat night it was not working at all and he tried it far too often.

It's good as a weapon but it shouldn't be his go to

Not sure that we got big headed but believe we got complacent and lazy. To win a flag takes nothing less than 100% commitment. 5% off is all it takes to fall short and that’s what we did last night with not enough pressure and tackling in the middle two quarters. I’m sure we will learn the lesson.

I would say we got lazy and thought the job was done.

On the other hand - GWS had their season on the line, and a little like the 1970 Grand Final, could throw caution to the wind, and caught us napping.

Strange game our best for 1 quarter and then our worst for 2 quarters.
I am going to go with injuries changed the game and were why we were so bad ( unless we see a repeat). TDK didn't seem to be able to compete after quarter time. Having said that GWS did get 2 goals in the first off the back of great centre clearances that became the norm after that.

Interesting stats from the game:
They ran 8 kms further ( this is very rare for us) and had 49 more sprints.
Our pressure rating in qtrs 2 and 3 was around 165 theirs was in the 230s. We were clearly out worked
Fastest player on the ground was Crippa 32.4, HH 32.4, Kennedy 32, Walsh 32, Saad 31.7. Crippa's mobility and kicking is so much better than it has ever been in the past.

While CC had his worst game of the season he was doubled teamed which allowed H to get off the chain. For all the criticism for 2 quarters we couldn't get a deep entry to the advantage of our forwards and as a result we couldn't lock the ball in.

GWS were able to dismantle our zone, while we were unable to get uncontested possessions (92 marks -57). Newman wasn't able to set up play like he has done for the last month. We also couldn't force intercepts as their kicks were under virtually no pressure.

As much as I like the prime TDK as a single ruck, playing small means we are only 1 injury to a tall from our structure being critically impacted.

Not the time to over react and make wholesale changes to the team that has got us to 2nd on the ladder. Look at what we need to do better and move on.
TDK was wrong-footed & seemed to over-stretch something right in front of us on the wing and he struggled straight afterwards. Walked around for a while and didn’t seem to accelerate or leap for a bit. I assume only something minor but seemed to impede him just as GWS were getting the ascendency.

Last edited:
TDK was wrong-footed & seemed to over-stretch something right in front of us on the wing and he struggled straight afterwards. Walked around for a while and didn’t seem to accelerate or leap for a bit. I assume only something minor but seemed to impede him just as GWS were getting the ascendency.
he went off in the first with an injury didn't he?

Looked like he was getting his ankle restrapped in the first quarter
That's what I saw on the TV coverage. I wonder how much it affected his ability to leap, especially in the ruck contests?
The one thing for me out of this game is how we may manage in game injuries when 2 talls are not available within a game for a bit?

he went off in the first with an injury didn't he?
Didn’t notice that at the ground, but yep, watching the replay he rolled his ankle early in the first Q. But he still had a good Q. I reckon what we saw on the wing - 17min mark of 2nd Q - likely aggravated it.

Last edited:
Coaches' Votes

10 -
Jesse Hogan (GWS)
4 - Kieren Briggs (GWS)
4 - Callan Ward (GWS)
4 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
4 -
Jack Buckley (GWS)
4 - Brent Daniels (GWS)

:think:

Did the umpire on Saturday night forget the rule book? I think i noticed four bounces go out of the circle and none called back, we even got a free from a bounce that went out of the centre and Green grabbed it.

Hogan then took a mark by jumping studs first in the back of one of our guys, with a push out with the leg at the end, i thought studs up marking was a free kick.

I get the whole umpiring is hard stuff when the ball is in transition or when there’s packs of players, but any one can tell if the ball goes out of the circle and see a kick to an opposition.

Also the ump who watches Greene punch a player and pays nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the umpire on Saturday night forget the rule book? I think i noticed four bounces go out of the circle and none called back, we even got a free from a bounce that went out of the centre and Green grabbed it.

Hogan then took a mark by jumping studs first in the back of one of our guys, with a push out with the leg at the end, i thought studs up marking was a free kick.

I get the whole umpiring is hard stuff when the ball is in transition or when there’s packs of players, but any one can tell if the ball goes out of the circle and see a kick to an opposition.

Also the ump who watches Greene punch a player and pays nothing.

Forgot, or decided to ignore.
Was a horribly umpired game. The lack of enforcement of ruck rules let Briggs be able to get on top.

The Greene punch resulted in a goal to them.

And further on the umps, they can make mistakes (Ward too high, Hogan chopping-the-arms, thats 2 goals in a 2 goal game), whatever.

But ignoring a punch that you are clearly watching, and then stopping play because the player is injured, WTF? 1 goal

And ignoring blatant ruck infringements all day, including a 2 handed shove square in Cripps' back that puts him on the ground before the ball reaches Briggs (- a shot on goal from 30m). Even if they paid a quarter of the clear ruck infringements, that has a massive impact on the game.

The club should definitely be asking questions of the AFL.

And further on the umps, they can make mistakes (Ward too high, Hogan chopping-the-arms, thats 2 goals in a 2 goal game), whatever.

But ignoring a punch that you are clearly watching, and then stopping play because the player is injured, WTF? 1 goal

And ignoring blatant ruck infringements all day, including a 2 handed shove square in Cripps' back that puts him on the ground before the ball reaches Briggs (- a shot on goal from 30m). Even if they paid a quarter of the clear ruck infringements, that has a massive impact on the game.

Look umpiring definitely didn't cost the game, but like a lot have mentioned. Closest season basically ever. Suddenly 2nd to 13th up for grabs with couple months left. Gws lose that game, its basically season over.

Still should have dominated after the start, but it wont surprise to be on the end these decisions in the next few weeks against teams fighting for the 8.

Yeah I do still wonder about this a bit, we got quite a bit of press last week re: how good we are.

It's true. Nothing but complacency after quarter time and other than the captain leading the way with an amazing goal there was very little resistance until it was too late. But still in the end we could've at least pinched a draw. Better to learn this lesson now as opposed to in a final.

We are the quickest starters in the competition. Learn how to double down in the second quarter and we are unstoppable.

Last edited:
Strange game our best for 1 quarter and then our worst for 2 quarters.
I am going to go with injuries changed the game and were why we were so bad ( unless we see a repeat). TDK didn't seem to be able to compete after quarter time. Having said that GWS did get 2 goals in the first off the back of great centre clearances that became the norm after that.

Interesting stats from the game:
They ran 8 kms further ( this is very rare for us) and had 49 more sprints.
Our pressure rating in qtrs 2 and 3 was around 165 theirs was in the 230s. We were clearly out worked
Fastest player on the ground was Crippa 32.4, HH 32.4, Kennedy 32, Walsh 32, Saad 31.7. Crippa's mobility and kicking is so much better than it has ever been in the past.

While CC had his worst game of the season he was doubled teamed which allowed H to get off the chain. For all the criticism for 2 quarters we couldn't get a deep entry to the advantage of our forwards and as a result we couldn't lock the ball in.

GWS were able to dismantle our zone, while we were unable to get uncontested possessions (92 marks -57). Newman wasn't able to set up play like he has done for the last month. We also couldn't force intercepts as their kicks were under virtually no pressure.

As much as I like the prime TDK as a single ruck, playing small means we are only 1 injury to a tall from our structure being critically impacted.

Not the time to over react and make wholesale changes to the team that has got us to 2nd on the ladder. Look at what we need to do better and move on.

GWS got four of their first five goals in their run thanks to some awful Carlton errors. It's the same old story. Weitering turnover in the middle. Elijah turning it over when we were through on goal in the middle. Cowan's defensive 50 handball to no one. Those are three I can remember. All three resulted in GWS goals. There were more. All were just lazy errors made by a team that thought they'd already won. We handed them their momentum on a platter with some lube for a smoother effect.

He's literally spent the last two years hardly able to hang onto a spot in the team. He WAS a good footballer. Game stank of the coaches deciding to spend a week focusing internally and not spending a minute to think about opposition players, setup or tactics.

I agree but .... he's 34, averaged 18 disposals this season prior to tonight, had only kicked 4 goals this year prior to tonight, and his highest tally before tonight was 24. So again I ask ...

Given he is very much the secondary unit for their midfield these aren’t bad numbers - not that much worse than Kennedy, Hewett or Cerra - and he kicked 2 goals in consecutive games against the Swans and Crows just recently…so it’s really not that much of a stretch to see him play well. As for his performance somehow pointing to the coaches being under prepared for the game I think that’s a very long bow to draw. I’d imagine Voss and co would’ve thought the likes of Cerra, Kennedy et al could cover Ward.

GWS are a good side and whilst they have struggled more than most expected I still think they will make finals. even with the players they had out they still fielded a good team with lots of very capable players. Losing to them at their home ground really isn’t so bad that we question almost everything the club have achieved so far this year.

Sometimes reality checks can be helpful if reflected upon in an appropriate manner, we still have a way to go.
Sydney have also learnt a few in recent weeks

Thought Kemp got pushed in the back and under the ball a couple of times. One instance by Riccardi on the goal line who then quickly raised his hands up and got away with it.

Hard to believe with 4 field umpires the push in the back was missed, or worse still was seen and ignored.

Forgot, or decided to ignore.
Was a horribly umpired game. The lack of enforcement of ruck rules let Briggs be able to get on top.

The Greene punch resulted in a goal to them.
The ruck rules one is confusing, I’ve seen a few players really push the boundaries against TDK, Goldy being another, with things like that i get frustrated more with Tom and our coaches who dont know how to push the limits of what’s allowed. I thought it was disappointing that Tom just kept trying the same thing against Briggs even though he was getting smashed.

Well good - if there was any 'getting ahead of ourselves' that Bomber supporting nong has guaranteed it will stopped.

He was on 360 last night spouting the same thing.

Was thinking - he's probably had this article ready to go for weeks and was just waiting for Carlton to lose to pull the trigger.

Back