Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what's up with the Giants. On paper they have an amazing list, just feels like some of their superstars aren't fully 'on' at the moment. Not a fan that all the media attention seems to have turned on them and Kingsley...no surer way to fire up a wounded animal backed into a corner.

We'll probably face a fierce Giants outfit this weekend. We'll need to be at our best to win it. Don't expect them to just roll over when they've been raked over the coals all week.

Cripps is in ridiculous form at the moment though.
It's too late in the season for them now
The time to do that was 2 weeks ago against the Giants.
We win comfortably here, min +30 points

We’re playing some good football atm, but this mob who although not playing their best footy are not far of full strength besides a couple Kelly and Taylor, are on the verge of not making finals, they have besides tigers at home they play every other team that is challenging for finals…

Home deck, only 4 left out of the last 8 rounds, they’re going to give this an almighty crack, they will need to win all of their home games and probably 1 at least on the road to be any chance qualifying for finals…

I can see this being a brutal game of footy, the type we’re also made for…
Yep, that's the way I see it too. GWS at their best bring whole field pressure and hunt with pace. Then they've got some great mids and dangerous forwards on the offence. I'd be surprised if this isn't a fight.

But I also think this type of game is exactly what we need. If we're switched on, we'll absorb their pressure, match it with our own and then capitalise on the periods where we're on top.

Interestingly enough, that's exactly how we beat them last time. This time we've got a better team on the park, plus our structure is more settled and we're playing in form. Only change in GWS favour is the home ground. I reckon we win but it will be a fight.

Wet conditions Saturday, more likely to go in with one ruckman, but I think we see both soon
The 2 ruck thing is interesting, who do you think they would try this against?

With Pitto in we seemed stagnant in the midfield until they got going. Our score from rebound was amazing so rucking Pitto didn’t hurt that.

With both playing we lose a mid rotation - with our forward line humming not sure they’ll send TDK forward as a 3rd tall for long periods.

I’d prefer they keep one ruck and chop TDK out against lower teams.

Playing our best footy with one ruck now so avoid the two ruck thing at all costs. Bring back Tommy for Pitto and rest MK. Mots deserves a call up, maybe as sub with George to take the starting mid spot. Don't overcomplicate it.

Now, let's put these giants so far into the ground, they'll still be excavating ENGIE Stadium in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Taylor or Kelly is massive.Took care of them last time on a dry deck with a weaker line up.Full confidence to get the job done.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Kelly has picked up Brownlow votes in 4 of his last games against Carlton before this year. He always performs well against us so his absence is a huge loss for them.

The 2 ruck thing is interesting, who do you think they would try this against?

With Pitto in we seemed stagnant in the midfield until they got going. Our score from rebound was amazing so rucking Pitto didn’t hurt that.

With both playing we lose a mid rotation - with our forward line humming not sure they’ll send TDK forward as a 3rd tall for long periods.

I’d prefer they keep one ruck and chop TDK out against lower teams.

Fremantle maybe, Darcy and Jackson?

I'm a fan of TDK being the only ruckman, but thought Pitto got reamed a bit by a few decisions early on Sunday and he went into his shell a bit. Thought it was one of his better games once he got going.

Fremantle maybe, Darcy and Jackson?

I'm a fan of TDK being the only ruckman, but thought Pitto got reamed a bit by a few decisions early on Sunday and he went into his shell a bit. Thought it was one of his better games once he got going.
Thought Pitto was well beaten by Nank. No shame in that.

But he did do very well against GWS when we played them in Rd 6 - in fact that match is the best we've seen with the Pitto/TDK combo. So I'm not wholly against the dual ruck strategy for this match, but my preference would be TDK in for Pitto, as I think that's our better structure going forward.

Thought Pitto was well beaten by Nank. No shame in that.

But he did do very well against GWS when we played them in Rd 6 - in fact that match is the best we've seen with the Pitto/TDK combo. So I'm not wholly against the dual ruck strategy for this match, but my preference would be TDK in for Pitto, as I think that's our better structure going forward.
Agree on both counts TDK #1and he got beaten by Nank who is no slouch, both had 17 possessions, 2 marks, Nank 2 more tackles and 20 more hitouts and a shot on goal from an iffy free in the ruck contest. Pitto similar numbers in GWS game.

Great to have them both on our list.

img_0787-jpeg.2036238

#BUMP

Thank you Peter O'Farrell SC :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Agree on both counts TDK #1and he got beaten by Nank who is no slouch, both had 17 possessions, 2 marks, Nank 2 more tackles and 20 more hitouts and a shot on goal from an iffy free in the ruck contest. Pitto similar numbers in GWS game.

Great to have them both on our list.
I thought Pitto settled well into the game. Early, particularly the first qtr, he was being beaten fairly well. But as the game went on he broke even more and more.

Beaten, but not to the point of being a liability.

Kennedy looks to be a chance to play this weekend which is good. Will we rest him though?

I see this as being a danger game. They have been poor but what they are capable of is much better than that. At home, they are always harder to beat.

We need to stay motivated and that means that we stick to our guns and do the defensive and contested stuff well. A lot of pressure for spots, so the whole list needs to really play well.

If Kennedy misses Hewett comes straight in. He's in form and he's rested so I would expect that he plays well. Motlop makes it as the sub if that is the case. That way E Hollands can spend more midfield time and move into that group if Motlop comes on.

I'm expecting that we win this and probably fairly easily but for at least the first half it will be tough you would think. They have enough good players to challenge us for at least a half. But we bat really deep and depth is the key to 4 quarters of strong footy.

Expecting Cerra to go up a level after his first game back.

I expect TDK will come straight in and he will dominate after a refresh.

Cowan Weitering McGovern
Newman Kemp Saad
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands McKay Cincotta
Owies Curnow Fogarty
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Boyd Kennedy Williams Fantasia
Hewett
Motlop Marchbank Carroll

I think Cincotta to Whitfield. Someone will need to be mindful of Ash. Tom Green will require close minding. Probably Kennedy or Hewett but Cerra is an option.

One thing about us is the minor improvements have lifted us a level from the side we were least year and early this year.
Cowan is a lot better than he was early this year. DeKoning has gone from average ruck to elite ruck since last season. Kemp is fitter. Newman is in elite form. Cripps has gone back to his brownlow medal season form. McKay is a much better player this season then he ever has been. Cincotta has found a completely new role and has excelled in it. Owies has improved a little. Fogarty has improved, particularly his kicking. Walsh IMO is in career best form, the last month he has become more damaging. Boyd has become a really good player. Kennedy has been in career best form. Hewett has come back into form. Fantasia has battled all season and has found some form. Williams is back from injury and playing a new role quite well. E Hollands has been one of the recruits of the year for us.

All we need is Curnow to hit peak form, despite leading the Colman I think we all know he's probably not quite at his best. Cerra to build some fitness and form. Marchbank to hit some form and fitness should he be needed and Jack Martin to get himself fit and playing well.

Last edited:
OUT - Pittonet, Kennedy
IN - DeKoning, Carroll/Motlop

I think even if MK could get through a test we can give him the week off.
George is right there and ready to cover - Carroll or Motlop to be the starting sub.

Pittonet wasn't bad against Richmond, he was probably a little rusty but we can't ignore TDK's form line as a sole ruck for the month Pitto was out.

Hopefully Cottrell is right for a run in the 2s and is pushing to get back in next week.

Depth and health is giving us some good problems to have coming into the business end of the season.

Kennedy looks to be a chance to play this weekend which is good. Will we rest him though?

I see this as being a danger game. They have been poor but what they are capable of is much better than that. At home, they are always harder to beat.

We need to stay motivated and that means that we stick to our guns and do the defensive and contested stuff well. A lot of pressure for spots, so the whole list needs to really play well.

If Kennedy misses Hewett comes straight in. He's in form and he's rested so I would expect that he plays well. Motlop makes it as the sub if that is the case. That way E Hollands can spend more midfield time and move into that group if Motlop comes on.

I'm expecting that we win this and probably fairly easily but for at least the first half it will be tough you would think. They have enough good players to challenge us for at least a half. But we bat really deep and depth is the key to 4 quarters of strong footy.

Expecting Cerra to go up a level after his first game back.

I expect TDK will come straight in and he will dominate after a refresh.

Cowan Weitering McGovern
Newman Kemp Saad
Acres Cripps Hollands
Hollands McKay Cincotta
Owies Curnow Fogarty
DeKoning Walsh Cerra
Boyd Kennedy Williams Fantasia
Hewett
Motlop Marchbank Carroll

I think Cincotta to Whitfield. Someone will need to be mindful of Ash. Tom Green will require close minding. Probably Kennedy or Hewett but Cerra is an option.

One thing about us is the minor improvements have lifted us a level from the side we were least year and early this year.
Cowan is a lot better than he was early this year. DeKoning has gone from average ruck to elite ruck since last season. Kemp is fitter. Newman is in elite form. Cripps has gone back to his brownlow medal season form. McKay is a much better player this season then he ever has been. Cincotta has found a completely new role and has excelled in it. Owies has improved a little. Fogarty has improved, particularly his kicking. Walsh IMO is in career best form, the last month he has become more damaging. Boyd has become a really good player. Kennedy has been in career best form. Hewett has come back into form. Fantasia has battled all season and has found some form. Williams is back from injury and playing a new role quite well. E Hollands has been one of the recruits of the year for us.

All we need is Curnow to hit peak form, despite leading the Colman I think we all know he's probably not quite at his best. Cerra to build some fitness and form. Marchbank to hit some form and fitness should he be needed and Jack Martin to get himself fit and playing well.
Green a bull of a player…I’d like to see Cinn go to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back