Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is that good or bad?

Ash is a damaging half back, not the type to rack up 35 or anything like that, but gets enough of it and makes them count. Averages 20 touches a game, goes at over 80% disposal efficiency, can run and carry a bit, 380+ metres gained on average. Would probably have been an option to send Cincotta to, minimise his time and space and hopefully hurt him the other way with a goal or two.

Problem for them is that whoever they bring in to replace him will be a pretty significant step down in either quality or experience. If I had to guess I'd say it'll likely be Adam Kennedy, who has been on their list for over a decade and played 153 games. He's fine, nothing to write home about, but probably the closest they have to Ash in style while also being ready for AFL level against a contending side in form.

Cadman coming back in gives them a third tall up forward, but we've got the cattle to compete with that. He's talented but young and inexperienced, so he'll probably get Kemp and kick a goal or two, but it'll be a couple of moments, not a dominant game.

Jones is a small forward with 4 games and 4 goals to his name. The suggestion is he comes back into their forward line, and Bedford goes into the middle to replace Kelly but play a tagging role. That change would be like us losing Walsh, moving Owies into a tagging midfield role and bringing in Durdin...so yeah, not something to worry us.

We always struggle to beat the guys up there.

These things always happen:

They kick a goal after the quarter siren (usually Toby)

Some nuffy medium tall will kick a bag.
What are you talking about Lance ? We’ve won 4 of the last 5 with the only loss being the last game of last season, which didn’t matter. Plus, we’ve beaten them up there on the last 2 occasions.

With all due respect, Bedford on Walsh is music to my ears.
I don’t think Bedford can go with a Walsh/Daicos repeat effort runner type

Sounds arrogant but I really don’t think he can take Walsh out.

I hope they let Green go H2H with Cripps, too. Cripps seems to handle that matchup well.

Really hoping we can win this one, need to in order to retain our 6 point buffer on Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Bedford can go with a Walsh/Daicos repeat effort runner type

Sounds arrogant but I really don’t think he can take Walsh out.

I hope they let Green go H2H with Cripps, too. Cripps seems to handle that matchup well.

Really hoping we can win this one, need to in order to retain our 6 point buffer on Freo.
Plus having Bedford in at centre bounce keeps out one of Cogs, Callaghan, Ward, and Green who are far more dangerous.

Dogs & Hawthorn won’t be easy either
I agree but they are not at our level , maintain focus and play with intent and we beat them, we have to be a little off to lose.

What are you talking about Lance ? We’ve won 4 of the last 5 with the only loss being the last game of last season, which didn’t matter. Plus, we’ve beaten them up there on the last 2 occasions.
People still finding it hard to acknowledge how good we are and to allow themselves to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Ash is a damaging half back, not the type to rack up 35 or anything like that, but gets enough of it and makes them count. Averages 20 touches a game, goes at over 80% disposal efficiency, can run and carry a bit, 380+ metres gained on average. Would probably have been an option to send Cincotta to, minimise his time and space and hopefully hurt him the other way with a goal or two.

Problem for them is that whoever they bring in to replace him will be a pretty significant step down in either quality or experience. If I had to guess I'd say it'll likely be Adam Kennedy, who has been on their list for over a decade and played 153 games. He's fine, nothing to write home about, but probably the closest they have to Ash in style while also being ready for AFL level against a contending side in form.

Cadman coming back in gives them a third tall up forward, but we've got the cattle to compete with that. He's talented but young and inexperienced, so he'll probably get Kemp and kick a goal or two, but it'll be a couple of moments, not a dominant game.

Jones is a small forward with 4 games and 4 goals to his name. The suggestion is he comes back into their forward line, and Bedford goes into the middle to replace Kelly but play a tagging role. That change would be like us losing Walsh, moving Owies into a tagging midfield role and bringing in Durdin...so yeah, not something to worry us.
Thanks BB very informative 👍🏽

I don't mind Charlie and Harry having the confidence to think they can stitch up a very inexperienced Richmond defense. Importantly they had the awareness to get on their bikes when it didn't pan out.

Richmond may have found one in Blight. Great size, great closing speed and positioned himself like a 100 game vet.

Agree with that. He absolutely shanked his first kick in the final part of the warm up once they ran out onto the field but I thought he played very well on-debut. Agree on the closing speed and seemed relatively composed with ball in hand

People still finding it hard to acknowledge how good we are and allow themselves to enjoy the ride.
My lids off, I’m loving it … great seeing the boy enjoying winning too, being in premiership conversation is unreal

But a bit to go yet

IMG_0246.jpeg

My lids off, I’m loving it … great seeing the boy enjoying winning too, being in premiership conversation is unreal

But a bit to go yet
Yeah, I agree, we are no certanties, nobody ever is, but we are right up there in contention. We can't ask for much else right now. Since late in the home and away season in 2023 I have been enjoying watching the footy in the knowledge that we were building to something special.

We are a good club again and also have a very good team representing us on-field, that's all I've ever wanted, we haven't had this in almost 30 years.

They are starting to get some media pressure, particularly in regards to their capacity to score. At some stage, they will bounce and get someone.

I don’t think it’s us though. Our Number 1 defence in the last six weeks will be too much for their slower midfield that lacks penetration.

Charlie due for a big one and no Taylor I assume.

I’ll weight in on the ruck issue: TDK plays solo relieved by Harry. Pitto is break glass and the best backup ruckman going around. Anything that erodes TDK’s influence needs to be mitigated against.

27 points as we take the foot off the gas or just do enough.
According to Champion Data, TDK has been the #2 ranked player in the AFL over the last 8 weeks. We'd be crazy to change that now. He's a genuine match winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back