Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an awesome side we are putting out there. If selected it’s a sign Voss is hell bent on balance which I love as opposed to just finding spots for players.

Four core mids with Elijah and maybe Fog getting centre square time. Cinc tags Whitfleid. If Cinc tagged a mid would put Kennedy under pressure for a spot too (should Martin come good).

He is clearly valuing pressure almost above all else. And why not? When we get the pressure rating up we are very hard to beat. And I think gws have really struggled with pressure this season.
This GWS game could also be a bit of a litmus test, how do we best set up against sides who run & gun through the midfield.

Possibly a reaction to, & preparation for the Swans.

Move from two rucks to TDK & add outside legs rather than load up inside.

Our midfield balance will determine our 17th happening this year IMHO.

We could do it against Collingwood if Cox and Cameron are both playing. If we play Fremantle again, that would be a good chance to do it again. Not seeing any other major opportunities.

Also food for thought is us beating Freo with Young/JSoS.

Let's go with the speed / pressure option now that TDK has hit new heights. If TDK falls over, then yes, lets go back to the slow plodding two rucks scenario.

Little surprised about Hewitt being dropped especially with Kennedy being injured last game. I would have managed Kennedy this game but maybe the club is giving him every opportunity to play before potentially taking him out ie. TDK

Suspect Ollie needs to gain his form back or he will make way for Cotts soon. He's had a pretty average month and I actually rate Cotts over him at this point in his career

I think George is about our 16th best player. Maybe 17th.

And not best 23 if all players fit. Odd I know.

I used to rank players based on talent and importance every year. It would be an interesting exercise to see what everyone comes up with.

Best combined with importance and structure will throw a few curveballs. This is my approximate order right now if all players were fit. This takes into account their current and past form, not just the recency factor. I've only listed players who have played an AFL game. You could throw a blanket over many of these groupings and switch them up or down half a dozen spots.

So yeah, it's quite conceivable that Hewett could be ranked 17 in someone's list.

1. Cripps
2. Curnow
3. Weitering
4. Walsh
5. De Koning
6. McKay
7. Saad
8. Docherty
9. Acres
10. McGovern
11. Cerra
12. Newman
13. E Hollands
14. Hewett
15. Kennedy
16. Pittonet
17. Williams
18. Kemp
19. Boyd
20. Silvagni
21. Martin
22. Cottrell
23. Cincotta
24. Cowan
25. Fogarty
26. Owies
27. O Hollands
28. Motlop
29. Marchbank
30. Cuningham
31. Fantasia
32. J Carroll
33. C Durdin
34. Young
35. Binns
36. S Durdin

If people start doing their own, we might have to break it off into another thread. This was just to take away the initial shock factor at your rating of Hewett.

Also food for thought is us beating Freo with Young/JSoS.

Let's go with the speed / pressure option now that TDK has hit new heights. If TDK falls over, then yes, lets go back to the slow plodding two rucks scenario.

Jackson and Darcy is starting to work for Freo, so you'd think that was an obvious matchup for our guys. They also have Treacy and Amiss doing the job up forward, so it's not like they are playing one of those rucks to be predominantly a forward. They're both getting a go at it.

Their midfield is killing it in the clearances too, so I'm not sure we would want to give them a ruck advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to rank players based on talent and importance every year. It would be an interesting exercise to see what everyone comes up with.

Best combined with importance and structure will throw a few curveballs. This is my approximate order right now if all players were fit. This takes into account their current and past form, not just the recency factor. I've only listed players who have played an AFL game. You could throw a blanket over many of these groupings and switch them up or down half a dozen spots.

So yeah, it's quite conceivable that Hewett could be ranked 17 in someone's list.

1. Cripps
2. Curnow
3. Weitering
4. Walsh
5. De Koning
6. McKay
7. Saad
8. Docherty
9. Acres
10. McGovern
11. Cerra
12. Newman
13. E Hollands
14. Hewett
15. Kennedy
16. Pittonet
17. Williams
18. Kemp
19. Boyd
20. Silvagni
21. Martin
22. Cottrell
23. Cincotta
24. Cowan
25. Fogarty
26. Owies
27. O Hollands
28. Motlop
29. Marchbank
30. Cuningham
31. Fantasia
32. J Carroll
33. C Durdin
34. Young
35. Binns
36. S Durdin

If people start doing their own, we might have to break it off into another thread. This was just to take away the initial shock factor at your rating of Hewett.
Oh cool. I didn’t think it was that controversial to be honest. I have Williams above George. Kennedy some weeks and some weeks not. I change my mind. Martin if he plays. The others yeah I have above. Elijah is Stevie J lite (I stole that call). Acres is the best two way defender in
The afl. The others speak for themselves.

Oh cool. I didn’t think it was that controversial to be honest. I have Williams above George. Kennedy some weeks and some weeks not. I change my mind. Martin if he plays. The others yeah I have above. Elijah is Stevie J lite (I stole that call). Acres is the best two way defender in
The afl. The others speak for themselves.

I did delete a comment that indicated it might be controversial.

The thing is you don't realise how much we have until you list it out. It's truly impressive.

You normally don't have endurance players as a sub, so if we go in unchanged, I suspect Owies or Fantasia as the sub
Owies maybe, but would be extremely harsh to kick 4 and be made the sub for a bloke who hasn't played since round 9, so doubt Fanta is in the frame.
Think Cotters will be sub. He's done it before a few times (last year?) and was pretty good.

Potentially Ollie as sub, he's done it before and his last few weeks have been very average. This allows Cotts to be subbed off in the 3rd or 4th
Agree. I thought Ollie’s form has been down the last few weeks and that he might’ve been the one to make way for Cotts return.

Fantasia will be super interesting to continue to watch hey. 12 shots on goal in 5 games including those he was subbed. Getting close to his 3 per game at his best. He was less than one a game first 9 rounds.

Intriguing. Is he getting the ole magic back?
At his best, he's also an endurance athlete.
Not sure if injuries have set him back at all, but has elite running capacity which makes him a bit of a weapon when he's up and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back