Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to rank players based on talent and importance every year. It would be an interesting exercise to see what everyone comes up with.

Best combined with importance and structure will throw a few curveballs. This is my approximate order right now if all players were fit. This takes into account their current and past form, not just the recency factor. I've only listed players who have played an AFL game. You could throw a blanket over many of these groupings and switch them up or down half a dozen spots.

So yeah, it's quite conceivable that Hewett could be ranked 17 in someone's list.

1. Cripps
2. Curnow
3. Weitering
4. Walsh
5. De Koning
6. McKay
7. Saad
8. Docherty
9. Acres
10. McGovern
11. Cerra
12. Newman
13. E Hollands
14. Hewett
15. Kennedy
16. Pittonet
17. Williams
18. Kemp
19. Boyd
20. Silvagni
21. Martin
22. Cottrell
23. Cincotta
24. Cowan
25. Fogarty
26. Owies
27. O Hollands
28. Motlop
29. Marchbank
30. Cuningham
31. Fantasia
32. J Carroll
33. C Durdin
34. Young
35. Binns
36. S Durdin

If people start doing their own, we might have to break it off into another thread. This was just to take away the initial shock factor at your rating of Hewett.

Not sure Doc is best 22 anymore,love the guy like everyone else but coming off 3 acls and 30 something.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. Fantasia should be the sub. Stiff after 4 goals but his long term form suggests that was an anomally. We'll get more out of Owies playing a full game.
Yeap - This season Owies has booted 21 goals from his 15 games and is our 3rd highest goal scorer behind Charlie and H

In previous seasons he also averaged more than a goal a game.

Id be disappointed if he was sub.

Don't like Owies as sub. He was selfless on the weekend, with 2 goal assists to Fantasia. Could have easily gone for goal himself and kicked his 3 which probably keeps him in the side.

Not sure we're sending the right message here.
Load management could be in play with that decision.

Don't like Owies as sub. He was selfless on the weekend, with 2 goal assists to Fantasia. Could have easily gone for goal himself and kicked his 3 which probably keeps him in the side.

Not sure we're sending the right message here.
Why are we talking about the sub as being a demotion? Could be getting a rest for all we know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks X. What about Hewett out - is it load management, or more to do with his place in the pecking order, or something else entirely?

Cotters straight back into the 1s is a massive statement!
I was travelling for work I only got the teams early. Owies sub.

They are confident going into the match but that's all I know.

Won't have a chance for an in depth convo for a few weeks so I'm in the same boat as you as to why.

I was travelling for work I only got the teams early. Owies sub.

They are confident going into the match but that's all I know.

Won't have a chance for an in depth convo for a few weeks so I'm in the same boat as you as to why.

Fair enough too. Thanks as always for sharing what you can.

We;ve been waiting years for load mgmt. Reckon we are in the thick of it right now.

About time!

This! What a luxury we can afford, as long as we consolidate this top 2/4 spot!

Great to have Cottrell back and looks like he will play a full game, which is understandable given he is an endurance beast

Not sure why people continue to question the validity of his selection, fantastic role player, works hard both ways/defensively, has some versatility to play HF and wing and can hit the scoreboard

Great to have Cottrell back and looks like he will play a full game, which is understandable given he is an endurance beast

Not sure why people continue to question the validity of his selection, fantastic role player, works hard both ways/defensively, has some versatility to play HF and wing and can hit the scoreboard
We question the validity due to the fact Cottrell has been injured for the past 8 weeks and is rushed straight back in the seniors without playing a game at any level. Cottrell last played against Melbourne on 9th May.
We did that earlier in the year with Marchbank.
That didn't work out great.

We question the validity due to the fact Cottrell has been injured for the past 8 weeks and is rushed straight back in the seniors without playing a game at any level. Cottrell last played against Melbourne on 9th May.
We did that earlier in the year with Marchbank.
That didn't work out great.
What do you mean “rushed”? He’s been in full training for weeks. Fitness will never an issue for Cotters, he’s an aerobic beast. The only thing he needs is touch, which is best achieved through playing at the top level

There was a query on the poster rating Hewett 16th or 17th in the side. I listed them out to show this was plausible.

I also said that structure has to come into play as well, so there was a point to it. I deleted the post that took issue with Hewett being ranked that low, and tried to show that he could easily be ranked that low, and potentially out of the side.

I agree that George is a midfielder and pretty much only a midfielder. I think that he is our 4th best onballer man for man. However, he doesn't bring any flexibility to our setup. He's easily best 22 talent wise. Balance wise, it has always been him vs Kennedy vs Cerra, and we usually can only choose two.
Great post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back