Preview 2024 Rd 17 Carlton vs GWS Saturday 6th July 7:30PM @ Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise that nobody (including yourself and the club doctors) knew that he actually tore his ACL at the time right? His kick was an absolute shocker and given he was back out there, of course people were going to assume he was ok and get frustrated with it during the heat of the game...

I love the Doc but I do believe he was one of the culprits last year of taking a mark, stopping, waiting and then bomb long to the forward line

....except the last kick in the Melbourne semi-final was Ok :)

I'm with you Sam. Shocked at the dropping. Just made so much sense to rest MK as I thought it's his turn and put the sore knee up. So unless we start getting more injuries, selection is going to get harder and harder. People will get left out that deserve a spot. But it's a good problem I suppose

MK is playing as a quasi 3rd tall, GH doesn't have that extra string to his bow though

Changes a little unexpected. I think we are going run crazy. I think we have developed a system where we have elite runners in our forward line who are pushing high up the ground to get ahead of the ball and defend the contest. But are also good enough to run hard forward to make themselves dangerous.

My guess is they are really keen to see how Cottrell, who is an elite runner, will go with this defensive setup.

Hewett is unlucky as he's in good form. Could Kennedy be a late out? We will see.

A lot of talk about how Hewett, Kennedy and Cripps can't fit into the same team, too slow, not enough two way run. Same deal as with the two rucks. So Cerra has pushed Hewett out, and Kennedy is currently seen as the better player.

I'm guessing if GWS hesitate with ball movement, they are going to find it tough to find space and we should connect well on the rebound with hard running forwards.

Last edited:

This is the bonus of our teams current status - no longer are we the team where weaker/lower ranked teams go in thinking if they throw the kitchen sink at us they may snag a win - they come into our games in self preservation mode “how can we stop the bleeding.”
Totally agree, it makes the opposition defenders accountable, they have to throw a spare back if they want to have a 3rd man up against Charlie and Harry. That's why it was so good to see Fog and Fanta hit the scoreboard on the weekend and if you want to leave EH and Owies alone, good luck to you

What’s this narrative about Ollie being out of form? He gets low disposals because we use his wing offensively much less than the Acres one. But his defensive running has been just about the best in the team in the last month or so
Agreed, I'm not to sure where that's come from, but I'd suggest it's from those who look at stats.

He's a pattern running/structural winger who gets back defensively. He's not an attacking threat type of player, ala Acres or Cottrell. Though Acres does both tbf, the gun.

Think its clear that we see this as a very important game to win, so we are trying to field our absolute best as possible.
For sure, but what's the difference between best side with Kennedy and no Hewett, or best side with Hewett and no Kennedy?
Would be so small, that it's barely worth stressing about.
In fact, 'best side' probably means that somebody else entirely misses out and we play both MK and GH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, I'm not to sure where that's come from, but I'd suggest it's from those who look at stats.

He's a pattern running/structural winger who gets back defensively. He's not an attacking threat type of player, ala Acres or Cottrell. Though Acres does both tbf, the gun.
Yep not the worst 20 year old going round.
There was one desperate effort in the last q against geelong where they all jumped on top of him, but he managed to push the ball out to us and resulted in a goal to us. Was really good and also didn't count as a possession!

For sure, but what's the difference between best side with Kennedy and no Hewett, or best side with Hewett and no Kennedy?
Would be so small, that it's barely worth stressing about.
In fact, 'best side' probably means that somebody else entirely misses out and we play both MK and GH.

The thing MK has over George is his versatility. It's only slight, but who else do we leave out to have them both in? Cotts is a gut runner and that is being valued very highly.

I think Cottrell will be the change winger, he will rotate with the other two. This will allow E Hollands to rotate mostly with the onballers.
Cotters playing as the high half forward pretty much becomes a 3rd 'wingman'.

What he does do is to largely sacrifice his own game every week to provide support all over the ground where it's needed....and his running capacity allows him to do this. It also means that he doesn't rack up big stats when he plays that valued support role which our coaches would absolutely love.

He's developed so much over the past few years, and the footy analysts are starting to recognise it. Kingy was glowing with his praises of him last pre-season.

It'd be interesting one week if we let him off the leash and played him as more of an attacking wingman. Reckon he'd rack up minimum 20-25 possessions weekly like shelling peas.

Changes a little unexpected. I think we are going run crazy. I think we have developed a system where we have elite runners in our forward line who are pushing high up the ground to get ahead of the ball and defend the contest. But are also good enough to run hard forward to make themselves dangerous.

A lot of talk about how Hewett, Kennedy and Cripps can't fit into the same team, too slow, not enough two way run. Same deal as with the two rucks. So Cerra has pushed Hewett out, and Kennedy is currently seen as the better player.
I think these 2 go hand in hand.

We've surrounded our bigger, inside contested types with elite run all day types. They balance eachother out and mean that if Cripps or Kennedy or whomever aren't able to break out of the contest it's ok as we have several guys who run all day and then some. Conversely it means they don't necessarily need to try and do that and can stay inside the contest and attack the ball harder.

We have a healthy balance of it at the moment. The structure outside the contested/clearance game is so strong it makes the clearance game even better - no 2nd guessing about defensive patterns, you know you have the structure to handle it, so just win the ball.

I would have asked for 2 games or 1 final and mckay and curnow have to play aswell
Agreed. I feel like the spirit of the debate was that it won't happen in any meaningful game. Every chance there's a game thrown in just to see one more time how it looks or as a way of load managing TDK while still keeping him in the 1s.

But I highly doubt in any game that matters they're both playing.

I would have asked for 2 games or 1 final and mckay and curnow have to play aswell

Yep that’s what I was thinking too - if god forbid McKay was out for a game they may want to replicate as close to the same structure in which case TDK plays forward and Pitto comes in and rucks

Point is they may no longer want to play two rucks but that doesn’t mean they won’t play TDK as a forward if forced to

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think that it's no surprise that either Hewett or Kennedy would be the one to make way once Cerra and others became available. A bit tough on Hewy but as has been mentioned Kennedy is a bit more versatile and can plug holes if need be.

It is hard on the player but is a great position for the club to find itself in.

If we make the GF this year there will be plenty of hard luck stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back