Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Who played well for the Blues in Round 20 vs the Power?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Martin better be playing in the VFL this week. I mean, i know lewis young as a fwd meant he could back up ruck but FML NEVER AGAIN. added nothing. he isnt a forward its not his fault ffs. easy now its over to say 'should have tried ANYONE ELSE'
Dumb selection choices AGAIN!!!!
Yes the 5 day break and injury list don't help but SMH

There is no VFL this week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We played Durdin last week when he couldn’t get through training with a sore calf. He then injured it in first 10 minutes of game
So honestly, who is making these horrendous calls? I just cannot understand our selection and on field positioning calls at the moment. Mid-season we were flying, and then we start doing stuff like dropping Hewett, making Kennedy sub, playing Pitto and TDK in the same side, Young forward, playing an underdone Marchbank, and by what you are saying here underdone Cuners and Nige too. Why are we playing Cerra at half back, why is Kennedy not getting any midfield minutes when we are getting smashed in there? Why not flip Mitch McGovern forward for something different when clearly Port are double teaming Curnow.

Looking for the right word to describe our situation … but eh won’t go there.

Four weeks ago we decided to drop the in-from Hewett and start fiddling with roles and positions. Then the injuries start to impact and force more changes.

We got ahead of ourselves and it has cost us.
This and continually ****ing up the ruck selections the last month…

Playing one ruck vs Briggs (Physical ruckman)
Playing two rucks vs English (mobile ruckman)
Playing one ruck vs Xerri (Physical ruckman)

result of this ^
1) Being exposed in the running game against the more limber ruckman when Pittonet plays
2) De Koning is bashed from pillar to post against the more physical ruckman - net result season ending injury

Haven’t read the whole thread and I don’t usually come on here after a loss because the tone is so negative and grossly overblown.

It’s hard to watch a loss but to throw out blanket statements about the team, list, coaches and prospects for the season after we have climbed so far from where we have been in such a few short seasons is mind boggling.

No one is suggesting being satisfied with what we have done but let’s at least enjoy the journey.

We get to front up next week and go again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know this is a somewhat ridiculous question... but I'm going to ask it anyway.

When was the last time Cerra and Walsh played well in the same lineup? Against good opposition?

I know that it's happened (plenty of times) in the past (or I assume it has) but it hasn't happened since Cerra came back into the team. We were playing great team football before then.

Who’s making these calls? It’s just stupidity, not that I think young is any good but surely you play him over Durdin if he’s injured.

As you said he got injured in the first 10 minutes, fortunate they won last week.

100%. Coaches could not leave well enough alone. Tonight Cinc doing great on Butters, lets move him. Play Cerra off half back when he is oe of our best kicks insider 50. Refuse to give Walsh time on the wing.

Walsh seems incapable of making a decision without first trying to take 8 steps, put him on a wing, and put Cerra in the middle and bring back Boyd. Play players where they are best suited to contriute to the team.
Boyd, McKay and acres back we are already an infinitely better team.

Other than martin Williams and TDK I’m not sure who else I want to see come in

Young out cunners out and Carrol out for the first three

Fog and owies out for Williams and Martin. And pittonet out for TDk if he gets up.

I think that side goes ok in finals

Who criticised you for stating Cuners and Marchbank should be cut off the list, when everyone has stated this for a couple of seasons
I dunno mate, I got pushback when I said Cuners was done weeks ago from quite a few. I think it's more that a few of us have held that view than the majority.

Anyway, it's pretty clear for me now, at season's end I think all of Marchbank, Cuningham, S.Durdin and Martin need to go (even though I love Martin when he is up and firing), none of them can be relied upon.

We've been exposed for a lack of quality depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason people are upset tonight is that these games win/lose premierships.

It is not just a round 18 game vs Port during the home and away. These games are the difference between being a realistic premiership chance or just a team that made finals. Its no use getting "serious" when finals come around, is too late then.

If you dont finish top 4, the facts are you are extremly unlikely to win or even get to the GF. If you have to play interstate in finals either from top 4 or outside it is the same.

Voss said it himself "we need to become a strong home and away team"

We are not that team, hopefully we will grow into one, someday.

Whilst I generally agree who could we bring in tonight?

Binns for Acres. Boyd for Cerra.
It was better taking a gamble on Martin coming in for Harry, instead of Young. I'd have started Carroll and had Cunningham come off the bench as the sub.
I said during the week that I trust the MC. However a number of recent decisions are truly baffling.

I was holding this thought back for about the last month, but this team doesn't seem to cope very well when expectations are at their highest.

That finals run last year happened after most of us thought the year was done and dusted after all.

We just need to lift it for the Pies and Hawks games now. Lose them and it looks like last year was a flash in the pan sadly.

We have four games left to get our act together and secure that top four slot, but if we are going to do it then we're doing it the hard way not the easy way!

Last edited:
Been saying this all year we lack pace and skill, we lack depth and has been proven yet again. Why are we giving games to Young, Cunners etc we know they aren't good enough or too injury prone. We don't have a good backup ruck either, Pitto wins some clearance's then he just goes missing, and yet we give him a 4 years contract. Feel like we will be out in straight sets if we are lucky to finish in the top 4. Voss the boos has no plan B, there is just the PLAN and that's it, hate to criticize him but that's just how I see it.

I get the disappointment. I don’t get the anger. Our best this season has been the best in the competition outside of Sydney. We are having our bad stretch, and it’s just happening to be at a really poor time. Still reckon we can have an impact in finals

I know I will be accused of giving them excuses, but the 5 day break, mixed with a bunch of sore players, certainly didn’t help. We looked gassed for most of the second half.

Interested to see what the fallout is, but there’s no point in panicking or getting angry

I dunno mate, I got pushback when I said Cuners was done weeks ago from quite a few. I think it's more that a few of us have held that view than the majority.

Anyway, it's pretty clear for me now, at season's end I think all of Marchbank, Cuningham, S.Durdin and Martin need to go (even though I love Martin when he is up and firing), none of them can be relied upon.

We've been exposed for a lack of quality depth.

Push back or hope? Some posters that a claiming foresight when it comes to Cuners and Marchbank is pretty sad

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 20 Loss to Port - Top 4 in jeopardy

Back