Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

Sadly true. More and more seem to be realising this

We are badly lacking genuine forwards.

The improvement that E Hollands made because he is a genuine forward who can play half forward is a sign of that.

After that Cuningham is probably the closest thing we have to a genuine half forward flanker.

We had Docherty earmarked for a half forward role and lost him for the season.

Martin is but is always injured. I suspect Williams could play there and play well but same again.

I see Hollands going into the middle more next season. So there will be some big holes here.

We carry a lot of makeshift forwards. Fogarty, Fantasia, Cottrell, Cincotta, Durdin. None of them are natural forwards or high level footballers. That's why their stats are always so low and they are relegated to "defensive forward" status.

Playing forward is more than general footy IQ, you need forward instinct. Some have it some down.

Cottrell runs up and down and does a lot of dumb running which means he rarely has any pace to use at the contest so his impact at the contest is always so poor. He's good with ball in hand, he doesn't get it very often though. He gets his possession through luck. Covers a lot of ground, chances are he ends up on the end of it. His luck varies from week to week.

McKay, Curnow, Martin, Motlop, Hollands and Williams is a gun forward line. If they are fit it's one of the better forwards lines in the game. Even Silvagni or Docherty could be in the mix and they are our. Chances we will ever see that are so low it's nearly 0.

Injuries have hit our forward line harder than any other position.

It's no wonder we went after Hayward so hard and Papley prior to that. We just can't land them. We drafted Motlop and he is going ok, he's just a young guy developing his game.

Half forward flankers are generally hard running players with good skills, good footy IQ, will feed the forwards well, help a lot with team connection by making good positioning and are reasonable overhead. That's not in our side currently.

I think this is a moment where we go back to as close to best 22 as possible. Worry a little less about form and focus more on players abilities.

We should have some quality coming back in.

Collingwood are a side that really has the wood over us. We got them last year but the also lost the following week to a really poor Hawthorn. Apart from that it's been slim pickings. However they aren't the side they have been. IMO they are very beatable. We aren't playing well either, but surely we can turn it around.

Our defence has been ok but has lacked run and a genuine CHB. Our Midfield has been really poor defensively and offensively. Our forward line lacks depth. Two really good tall forwards supported by two ok forwards and a few makeshift forwards who are really low level players. Player availability is an issue at the moment. Let's hope some come up for us.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Cowan
Acres Cripps Hollands
Cerra Curnow Owies
Motlop McKay Kemp
Pittonet Walsh Hollands
Boyd Kennedy Hewett Cincotta
Martin

IN:
Marchbank - Let's forget that he hasn't dominated the season. He hasn't been beaten. He hasn't starred. We know he's a good player when he is going. Like it or not, he is the closest thing we have to a CHB. If we can get him up and going we have a good player on our hands filling a hole in our side.

Boyd - He's one of our better smaller running defenders. We will enjoy his energy, pace and efforts back in the team.

Acres - Hope he can come back, if not select Binns. He's a big in for us.

McKay - Another who is a big in.

Martin* - I'd be tempted to play him as the sub. He's been back playing nearly a month. No VFL game this week but surely he's got to be around the mark. Like it or not, we need him to go deep into finals and also at this stage, help save our season.

OUT:
Cuningham - Injured

Carroll - Omitted, didn't play well.

Young - Just not a spot for him.

Cottrell - I don't get the obsession Voss has. Has no footy IQ. Adds no pressure. Not physical at all. I don't get it. You can't tell me Binns wing or Cerra or Kemp forward are not better options.

Fogarty - He lays a few tackles and kicks a few goals one or two times a month and the rest of the time does nothing. Misses targets and shots at goal. Not genuine forward in my eyes. Just a hard working VFL level player. Surely Cerra and Kemp add more to the side.

Tactics
McKay, Curnow and Kemp to split the time playing higher up the ground.

Kemp to play a bit on the wing as a defensive wingman.

More onball rotations. Walsh, Hollands, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra.

Cerra to play forward and mid. Probably swap with Hollands a fair bit.

Martin Sub.
Marchbank “hasn’t been beaten this season”. 😂

Ins: Acres Boyd McKay
Out: Cunners Cottrell Carroll

Newman-Schultz Weitering-McStay Young-Cox
Boyd-Elliott McGovern-HoskinElliott Saad-Hill

Pittonet-Cameron Cripps-Pendlebury Cincotta-N.Daicos
Acres-Crisp Kennedy-Long Walsh-J.Daicos

Motlop-Noble McKay-Moore E.Hollands-Sidebottom
Owies-Quaynor Curnow-Maynard Kemp-Howe

Cowan Hewett O.Hollands Fogarty
Sub: Cerra
EMG: Binns Martin Cottrell

Lipinski Bytel Richards Parker
Sub: Harrison
EMG: Frampton Sullivan Harris

Missing: Williams DeKoning C.Durdin Martin (Silvagni & Docherty)

Missing: DeGoey McCreery Mihochek Krueger

Last edited:
I think this is a moment where we go back to as close to best 22 as possible. Worry a little less about form and focus more on players abilities.

We should have some quality coming back in.

Collingwood are a side that really has the wood over us. We got them last year but the also lost the following week to a really poor Hawthorn. Apart from that it's been slim pickings. However they aren't the side they have been. IMO they are very beatable. We aren't playing well either, but surely we can turn it around.

Our defence has been ok but has lacked run and a genuine CHB. Our Midfield has been really poor defensively and offensively. Our forward line lacks depth. Two really good tall forwards supported by two ok forwards and a few makeshift forwards who are really low level players. Player availability is an issue at the moment. Let's hope some come up for us.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Cowan
Acres Cripps Hollands
Cerra Curnow Owies
Motlop McKay Kemp
Pittonet Walsh Hollands
Boyd Kennedy Hewett Cincotta
Martin

IN:
Marchbank - Let's forget that he hasn't dominated the season. He hasn't been beaten. He hasn't starred. We know he's a good player when he is going. Like it or not, he is the closest thing we have to a CHB. If we can get him up and going we have a good player on our hands filling a hole in our side.

Boyd - He's one of our better smaller running defenders. We will enjoy his energy, pace and efforts back in the team.

Acres - Hope he can come back, if not select Binns. He's a big in for us.

McKay - Another who is a big in.

Martin* - I'd be tempted to play him as the sub. He's been back playing nearly a month. No VFL game this week but surely he's got to be around the mark. Like it or not, we need him to go deep into finals and also at this stage, help save our season.

OUT:
Cuningham - Injured

Carroll - Omitted, didn't play well.

Young - Just not a spot for him.

Cottrell - I don't get the obsession Voss has. Has no footy IQ. Adds no pressure. Not physical at all. I don't get it. You can't tell me Binns wing or Cerra or Kemp forward are not better options.

Fogarty - He lays a few tackles and kicks a few goals one or two times a month and the rest of the time does nothing. Misses targets and shots at goal. Not genuine forward in my eyes. Just a hard working VFL level player. Surely Cerra and Kemp add more to the side.

Tactics
McKay, Curnow and Kemp to split the time playing higher up the ground.

Kemp to play a bit on the wing as a defensive wingman.

More onball rotations. Walsh, Hollands, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra.

Cerra to play forward and mid. Probably swap with Hollands a fair bit.

Martin Sub.
I’d go this team.

B: Boyd Weits Marchbank
HB: Saad Gov Newy
C: Walsh Cripps Acres
HF: Martin Harry Fog
F: Elijah Charles Mots

Foll; Pitt Cerra Hewitt

IC Kennedy Cowan Owies Carroll

O Hollands sub

Out Kemp Cunners Cinc Cotts
In Martin March Acres Boyd

Gee we miss Zac upfront.

OUT: Cottrell, Carroll, Young, Cuningham
IN: Acres, Boyd, McKay, Martin

FB:
McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Boyd Kemp Saad
C: O.Hollands Cerra Walsh
HF: Fogarty McKay E.Hollands
FF: Motlop Curnow Owies

R: Pittonet Cripps Hewett

Int from: Kennedy, Cincotta, Acres, Martin, Cowan

Notable Emergency: Wilson

Walsh starting bounces on the wing and cutting in, but generally playing first option or outside of stoppages to reduce the amount of bumps he's receiving and to generate more run for us, and alleviating the workload for Acres as he eases back in.

Sub can be anyone from the bench - or even Cerra - depending on their workloads, the team can be adjusted on any line with that squad.

Wilson an outside chance if one Martin, Boyd, Cowan, or Acres aren't right, but his role would be running defender or wing and others would shuffle as needed.
Reckon this is as good as we can put on the park at the moment. Hope those four are fit to come in for next week.

I know you've been promoting Wilson all year, and I really like what he's been doing too, but with the VFL not playing this week, it'll be a month since his last hit-out, so I can't see him getting a look in, at least for another couple of weeks.

Ins: Acres Boyd McKay
Out: Cunners Cottrell Carroll

Newman-Schultz Weitering-McStay Young-Cox
Boyd-Elliott McGovern-HoskinElliott Saad-Hill

Pittonet-Cameron Cripps-Pendlebury Cincotta-N.Daicos
Acres-Crisp Kennedy-Long Walsh-J.Daicos

Motlop-Noble McKay-Moore E.Hollands-Sidebottom
Owies-Quaynor Curnow-Maynard Kemp-Howe

Cowan Hewett O.Hollands Fogarty
Sub: Cerra
EMG: Binns Martin Cottrell

Lipinski Bytel Richards Parker
Sub: Harrison
EMG: Frampton Sullivan Harris

Missing: Williams DeKoning C.Durdin Martin (Silvagni & Docherty)

Missing: McCreery Mihochek Krueger
And Murphy (If you include Silvagni as Murph was on our list this year), Mitchell and probably Degoey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Cowan rotate through the midfield and Ollie in a back pocket or flank so he has to be accountable.
Marchbank in before Young.
Hopefully Boyd, Harry and Acres are right to go.
I don't mind the idea of Kemp as the 3rd tall forward. It's worth a try.

I still just cannot work out why they brought Cottrell straight back after 2 months out, it has to be arrogance.
Cerra also, and then playing him out of position

There just has to be a fundamental change in philosophy with returning players getting miles in the legs in a less demanding setting. Training is not playing at the highest level

For their own confidence, their bodies, the level of performance of our feeder team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
More stubbornness and stupidity than arrogance.

Pendles 400th next week. They will get up for him! We couldn’t get up for Cripps’ 200th. We are 2% chance as we have no heart or desire. More I watch I honestly think the tight wins are just luck! We will have no chance if coaches don’t pick right team. Young??? Seriously, what were they thinking!!! And how does Ollie get a game? Bins had 47 and 3!!!! We lose a wingman and doesn’t get a game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We didn't get up for Cripps. They won't get up for Pendles.

Four games left and we are in the top 4. 99% of Carlton fans would have bitten your hand off in the pre-season to be in this position. Have hit a lean patch of form over the last month but this is the time to lift! 8-day break has come at a good time for some sore players and hopefully we get a few key personnel back this week. Give everything this week and let's get a W!

With the change in HTB interpretation he shouldn't be trying to break tackles - just make an attempt to dispose of it
Agree noticed this a lot, maybe its instinct but Walsh seems to want to break free but generally doesn’t, and in the process might get one of his arms free but can’t get rid of the ball and gets pinged.

In similar situations other players don’t try and break a tackle but instead hold the ball and their arms tightly in, and the umps generally pay insufficient opportunity and ball it up. Surely, the coaches are seeing this and are instructing him?

We are limping into the last month of the year.
The players have nothing left to give this year. When the opposition go up a notch, we cannot go with them.
Coaches have no answer. We are done.
Sorry - but it’s obvious.
Gee, I hope the players aren’t thinking like you are.

It’s a long strange season, anything can happen.

Losing TDK, Harry, Acres and Williams in the last few weeks hasn’t helped.

Collingwood’s team this week is pretty small and mobile….Cox, Mcstay, Cameron and Moore the only talls and Ned Long at 194cm as a midfielder

Be interesting to see if Frampton and Kruger are in the mix for a recall next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back