Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

So now that we've actually got our 5 mids playing in Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra and Kennedy we actually don't know how to fit them all in. We chuck Cerra to HB and Kennedy to the forward line.

Seems we played better when 1 or 2 were out injured and we weren't trying to just squeeze everyone into the team for the sake of it.

I don't know the solution, but what we have right now isn't working...

When Ollie was absolutely stinking it up earlier this season was a chance, bringing Binns in instead of Cottrell who hadn’t played in 2 months straight out was a chance, but Voss has fallen into the trap of playing favourites and not rewarding form or lack of and sending back players to find it.

Jase Burgoyne played last night, if there is an ounce difference in weight between he and Binns I’ll go he. Some clubs just get good young players in the team

It’s a slippery slope when things start going awry, players bashing the door down not getting a look in whilst others are brought in cart Blanche with zero form isn’t good for the psychy of those outside the supposed best 22

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is very much true too unfortunately...

Binns didn't get 10 clearances and kick 3 goals in that one quarter against Geelong so back to the 2's he went...

I already explained why Soap... too easily bumped off the ball. We already have that problem with Ollie.

We should have put Walsh on the wing and threw Cerra in the middle. That's the next option imo when Acres is out.

Cottrell is no good there either.

I don't disagree but we are lacking players and he has been our best player in the VFL. I am also tired of doing the same thinsg week in week out and nothing changes

Young needs to play as a key defender. Pies have Mcstay and Goggles up forward. Kemp isn't big enough to play on these players.

Watch Goggles out mark Young too unfortunately...

To top it off, Young's lack of drive will also cost us more goals...

Either way we are in trouble with our kpd deficiencies...

I don't disagree but we are lacking players and he has been our best player in the VFL. I am also tired of doing the same thinsg week in week out and nothing changes

You're right in that sense... for Binns to be brought in, imo, Ollie needs to be dropped and there was plenty reason for that earlier in the season too... never happened and I think the reason why is because of favouritism... or perhaps, Ollie is the safer option given Voss doesn't know how well Binns will perform at AFL level so won't risk giving him a block of games.

It's either that or bring him in and play him out of position, and I think its fair to say we both don't want to see that happen...

I know right. But we just don’t have a 3rd tall and when Harry and Charlie lead up the ground we literally have the minnow bunch in Owies, Motlop and Fogarty to run around in circles and don’t even touch the damn ball

Can't see how having a player like Young who refuses to compete, is going to help...

You're right in that sense... for Binns to be brought in, imo, Ollie needs to be dropped and there was plenty reason for that earlier in the season too... never happened and I think the reason why is because of favouritism... or perhaps, Ollie is the safer option given Voss doesn't know how well Binns will perform at AFL level so won't risk giving him a block of games.

It's either that or bring him in and play him out of position, and I think its fair to say we both don't want to see that happen...

All young players have weaknesses. Ollie does, yet we play him

Saying Binns needs to work on things is stating the bloody obvious (like all other players) but he also has many positives and has earned a run especially when we have bugger all else.

The experience of having a few senior games before another pre season would be invaluable as well.

I’d actually play Young this week but leave him in our forward line and to stay no more that 15 metres from our goal.

Harry and Charlie to lead at the ball carrier but we need a third tall up forward. For all the bad Young brings, using him as the tall close to the goal square would be a near impossible challenge this week.

We need a point of difference and we love bombing it long. Defenders have to play Charlie and Harry closely so Young would take the third best tall defender and I think would out mark the 3rd tall.

Just a thought going into this week anyways

I’d assume Martin comes in and plays hybrid 3rd tall…Attracts the footy and like Kennedy is a good overhead mark….Young although limited should be playing on the least dangerous tall of the opposition….eg last night go to Dixon and follow him into the ruck when he dos go in for the chop out….

Will most likely have Cox and Cameron in the ruck next week…makes sense to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Binns

Has weaknesses and needs to improve but he has been our best VFL player over the past 18 months. He was named in the VFL team of the year

How many young players have played this year in other sides with weaknesses? Not how it works

He averages over 22 possessions a week, is a genunie winger and with Acres out he's still not a viable option? FFS

He is no weaker than Hollands (who I rate) and we played Cottrell who has ONCE got over 20 possessions in a game and has never played well as a wingman. Binns can find the ball, we need that

As I said there is lots of potential upside and there is no downside as he couldn't be any worse than what we produced on our wings last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Hollands

Love his effort and he gets to right places. Just need some size and will be a gun

Personally, I would play him off HB like other clubs do with their young players. Sheezel, Daicos played this role in their debut years

He can run straight and use the ball. he is a creator. Great learning experience, protects him a bit and would help us

Play Acres in one wing and Binns or Walsh on the other

Be great to have Harry, Acres, Boyd coming back into the side, Martin is also likely given his talent

As for our role players over the last month, not surprising they have struggled, as it's similar with these types across the league when a side is having a poor patch

4 weeks left to find some cohesion, l'll back us in to turn it around leading into finals

I choose to remain optimistic.
I can see us coming out and having a glorious victory here.
It would be very Carlton of us.
I'm gonna trust coaches to 'tweak' and change a dew things.
Cerra and Kennedy in the guts. No more
OOP'S PLEASE!!!! (out of positions)
Pitto is just fine.
Bring in Martin
... the changes Arrow suggested are great!

Let's hope we can get Sherriff back in.
Of course if would.

Only play well when we are hunting. As soon as we position ourselves well and become the hunted we have no idea how to cope with it.

My early left field line up

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Walsh
HF: Elijah McKay Fogarty
F: Kemp Charlie Motlop
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Cerra
Int: Newman Kennedy Cowan Owies (Martin)

Ollie to HB
More run from defence
Walsh on a wing. Let him run and link
Cerra back on ball
Kemp to 3rd forward/ruck
Young in (I struggle with it) but Weitering needs some size and help
Cowan can be back up wing or move back. Saw him play mid a few weeks ago in VFL and looked great

It's a damn good side, better balanced, less "role" players, that should win

Ollie to HB
More run from defence
Cerra back on ball
Kemp to 3rd forward/ruck
Cowan can be back up wing or move back. Saw him play mid a few weeks ago in VFL and looked great

Ollie to HB
More run from defence
Cerra back on ball
Kemp to 3rd forward/ruck

So Soap you prefer Cow over Cinc. I like them both, however young Cowan has been a bit down lately. Just like everybody else, I guess.

I do really like these ideas, especially Walsh to the wing. And Ollie to hbf. Also Kemp forward, is something I have hoped to see for a long time.

Young is terrible yes, but who else do we have at his height? Has to be selected, unfortunately.

You know how it works, some players at 80% offer more than guys at 95%
And some players like Kemp played in "100% NOT their position" will offer more when played in "50-75% their natural position"

Time for Voss to stop making Kemp the sacrificial lamb and keep destroying his confidence

Play him as a marking 3rd tall up forward (full game) allowing Charlie and Harry a little bit more freedom, mobility and variety up the field when appropriate

Binns has been good for 18 months. Some ups and downs but his form is better than anyone else we have in the 2s
Or maybe we run a poll to see if Binns would've at least matched Cuningham's output over the last 2 weeks

I'm not sure what Cuningham's stats were over the last two weeks

Guessing even Daniel Chick could count the stats on one hand

Agree, clubs are purposely loading up with talls in their forward line no matter how average they are and gaining a significant advantage, we need an additional key back badly.

Kemp cannot play the role

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wouldn't be as much of a problem if our mids and fwds implemented "team defence" a bit more

Defence begins from our goal square all the way back to their goal square

How many games do you think we will win of the remaining home and away season? I think 1, maybe 2 and, generally I am an optimist but, I really think we have major, major problems which are only going to get worse before they get better.
I think only 1. Pies will be fired up for Pendlebury's 400th. Hawks will be too good. WCE should be a win and we always struggle against ST Kilda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back