Preview 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood Saturday 3rd August 7:30PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IMG_8144.jpeg

MILESTONE: Jack Martin 150 AFL Games

IMG_8145.jpeg

And some players like Kemp played in "100% NOT their position" will offer more when played in "50-75% their natural position"

Time for Voss to stop making Kemp the sacrificial lamb and keep destroying his confidence

Play him as a marking 3rd tall up forward (full game) allowing Charlie and Harry a little bit more freedom, mobility and variety up the field when appropriate

Have said it for some time now that I would rather see Kemp developed as a 3rd tall forward, but that should be at VFL first

He doesn't have the IQ for a backman, even though he played for most of his junior career.

As for calls to play him on a wing or through the middle, absolutely bizarre

How many here are going?
I got tickets the day they went on sale and I am not as enthusiastic about going now.
The build up is going to be huge with Pendlebury playing his 400th game.

Have said it for some time now that I would rather see Kemp developed as a 3rd tall forward, but that should be at VFL first

He doesn't have the IQ for a backman, even though he played for most of his junior career.

As for calls to play him on a wing or through the middle, absolutely bizarre
Was drafted as a mid, not as a defender and not as a 3rd tall fwd

Playing him this long in defence is bizarre

Pretty big **** up if our training system costs us a top 4 spot and the opportunity to compete for the flag. I don't see the point of flogging players on the track this time of year unless they have missed playing like the VFL have with their 12th bye of the season.

Players should be fit enough from normal training and match day.

Pretty big **** up if our training system costs us a top 4 spot and the opportunity to compete for the flag. I don't see the point of flogging players on the track this time of year unless they have missed playing like the VFL have with their 12th bye of the season.

According to some, it's the "pre-season" for finals.

Well if that's the case, they'd better ease up now.

Binns has been good for 18 months. Some ups and downs but his form is better than anyone else we have in the 2s
Yes, he has had consistently high production from his time in the vfl, with his strong running & linking up during his games. He may have a slight build and may possibly struggle with the bigger bodies, pace and intensity of the higher level, but his form deserves he be given a go. Can't do any worse than other low production players favoured by Voss (Cottrell, Ollie, Fanta etc)
Actually I wouldn't mind if he come in for Ollie this week.

My early left field line up

B: Boyd Young McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Walsh
HF: Elijah McKay Fogarty
F: Kemp Charlie Motlop
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Cerra
Int: Newman Kennedy Cowan Owies (Martin)

Ollie to HB
More run from defence
Walsh on a wing. Let him run and link
Cerra back on ball
Kemp to 3rd forward/ruck
Young in (I struggle with it) but Weitering needs some size and help
Cowan can be back up wing or move back. Saw him play mid a few weeks ago in VFL and looked great

It's a damn good side, better balanced, less "role" players, that should win
No way does Ollie go to HB with all of the errors he makes with ball in hand. I can see his potential, but right now he needs to go back to the VFL and find some form.

We aren't. Just BS rumours. Many players are barely getting on the track

Was drafted as a mid, not as a defender and not as a 3rd tall fwd

Playing him this long in defence is bizarre

Kemp?

If so, a conversation a family member had with SOS just before he left showed his frustration with how they were developing Kemp especially after knee. He was clear he recruited him as a mid/wing type player. That's where SOS and his recruiting team saw him

Just another scenrio where SOS & Teague disagreed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a much better balance next week. Losing H before the game didn't help. This was compounded by playing Young who is out of his depth at AFL level.

Outs: Young, Cunningham, Holland
Ins: Harry, Acres, Boyd

Move Cerra back into the midfield and perhaps try Walsh on a wing.

Collingwood are going to be all in for Pendleburys 400th, but we do have a habit of spoiling their big milestone games

OUT: Cottrell, Carroll, Young, Cuningham
IN: Acres, Boyd, McKay, Martin

FB:
McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Boyd Kemp Saad
C: O.Hollands Cerra Walsh
HF: Fogarty McKay E.Hollands
FF: Motlop Curnow Owies

R: Pittonet Cripps Hewett

Int from: Kennedy, Cincotta, Acres, Martin, Cowan

Notable Emergency: Wilson

Walsh starting bounces on the wing and cutting in, but generally playing first option or outside of stoppages to reduce the amount of bumps he's receiving and to generate more run for us, and alleviating the workload for Acres as he eases back in.

Sub can be anyone from the bench - or even Cerra - depending on their workloads, the team can be adjusted on any line with that squad.

Wilson an outside chance if one Martin, Boyd, Cowan, or Acres aren't right, but his role would be running defender or wing and others would shuffle as needed.

I think this is a moment where we go back to as close to best 22 as possible. Worry a little less about form and focus more on players abilities.

We should have some quality coming back in.

Collingwood are a side that really has the wood over us. We got them last year but the also lost the following week to a really poor Hawthorn. Apart from that it's been slim pickings. However they aren't the side they have been. IMO they are very beatable. We aren't playing well either, but surely we can turn it around.

Our defence has been ok but has lacked run and a genuine CHB. Our Midfield has been really poor defensively and offensively. Our forward line lacks depth. Two really good tall forwards supported by two ok forwards and a few makeshift forwards who are really low level players. Player availability is an issue at the moment. Let's hope some come up for us.

Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Cowan
Acres Cripps Hollands
Cerra Curnow Owies
Motlop McKay Kemp
Pittonet Walsh Hollands
Boyd Kennedy Hewett Cincotta
Martin

IN:
Marchbank - Let's forget that he hasn't dominated the season. He hasn't been beaten. He hasn't starred. We know he's a good player when he is going. Like it or not, he is the closest thing we have to a CHB. If we can get him up and going we have a good player on our hands filling a hole in our side.

Boyd - He's one of our better smaller running defenders. We will enjoy his energy, pace and efforts back in the team.

Acres - Hope he can come back, if not select Binns. He's a big in for us.

McKay - Another who is a big in.

Martin* - I'd be tempted to play him as the sub. He's been back playing nearly a month. No VFL game this week but surely he's got to be around the mark. Like it or not, we need him to go deep into finals and also at this stage, help save our season.

OUT:
Cuningham - Injured

Carroll - Omitted, didn't play well.

Young - Just not a spot for him.

Cottrell - I don't get the obsession Voss has. Has no footy IQ. Adds no pressure. Not physical at all. I don't get it. You can't tell me Binns wing or Cerra or Kemp forward are not better options.

Fogarty - He lays a few tackles and kicks a few goals one or two times a month and the rest of the time does nothing. Misses targets and shots at goal. Not genuine forward in my eyes. Just a hard working VFL level player. Surely Cerra and Kemp add more to the side.

Tactics
McKay, Curnow and Kemp to split the time playing higher up the ground.

Kemp to play a bit on the wing as a defensive wingman.

More onball rotations. Walsh, Hollands, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra.

Cerra to play forward and mid. Probably swap with Hollands a fair bit.

Martin Sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back