Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so there has to be at least 6 changes, that's fine and I can live with that, but please, please Vossy, alter the game plan a smidgen to suit who comes in and set small goals which are achievable. Let's have a kick out plan and not the long bomb cause we haven't got the talls to mark it. Shake up the middle a bit and spread the forward line.

We are void of confidence and if we are to go further than next week these boys need to find some of that confidence.

A few years back WC beat us with a WAFL team, it's time to return the favour.

This is what I think Voss will do.

Cowan Weitering Newman
Cincotta Kemp Williams
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands McGovern Fantasia
Owies Young Kennedy
Pittonet Hewett Walsh

Int: Binns Motlop J Carroll C Durdin

Sub: Lord/Lemmey

He may be tempted to leave Williams forward and play one of Acres or Kennedy down back. I think Kennedy will stay forward though as he will be full forward when Young is rucking.

Our small forwards are going to have to get really busy, and our midfielders are going to have to lower the eyes. Who knows ... maybe this fixes our bombing long issue?

Nope. Not even close after last weekend
He kicked 14.9 in the 7 games prior while not really having to play ruck relief. Started running games out better the last 3-4 weeks.

Plays better as the deep target, but we keep giving that role to McMahon. He's absolutely worth playing ahead of Young, but we can send Young to defence anyway.

He kicked 14.9 in the 7 games prior while not really having to play ruck relief. Started running games out better the last 3-4 weeks.

Plays better as the deep target, but we keep giving that role to McMahon. He's absolutely worth playing ahead of Young, but we can send Young to defence anyway.
I’d like to see Lemmey play just to see something new, but can’t see Weitering allowing Young to be back there

waterman, Allen and cooked Darling was going to be a handful for our small defence even before our injuries

Darling is the one being used to go up to the wings, which is a pity as he would be a good Weitering matchup due to his decline in pace, and it gives Weitering more opportunity to help others.

Young would be the best matchup for Allen, but that's hard if he is going to be relief ruck as well. Maybe Lemmey will come in after all?

Kemp on Waterman is a worry strength wise.

They tried against Hawks and most passes landed short

Airplane Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Darling is the one being used to go up to the wings, which is a pity as he would be a good Weitering matchup due to his decline in pace, and it gives Weitering more opportunity to help others.

Young would be the best matchup for Allen, but that's hard if he is going to be relief ruck as well. Maybe Lemmey will come in after all?

Kemp on Waterman is a worry strength wise.
Young has the agility but have no confidence with him and Weitering. Feel that partnership irretrievably broke down.

Waterman will unleash. Also reckon Cripps and Ryan will put a couple each on the board

Young has the agility but have no confidence with him and Weitering. Feel that partnership irretrievably broke down.

Waterman will unleash. Also reckon Cripps and Ryan will put a couple each on the board

It's hard to see how we win this unless our midfield dominates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m more confident now then I was Sunday night, new players, more exciting, game plan out the window. We will win this game, apply the pressure and the names out don’t matter!

Have to win based on effort and teamwork and not rely on raw talent to get us home for once. We will start playing the right way or get pumped again it's up to them to decide if they have truly given up or reflected and galvanized as a group again.

OUT: McKay, Curnow, Martin, Fogarty, Saad and Boyd
IN: Young, Lemmey, Carroll, Binns, Wilson and Fantasia

FBLachie CowanJacob WeiteringBrodie Kemp
HBNic NewmanLewis YoungAlex Cincotta
COliver HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
HFZac WilliamsMitch McGovernElijah Hollands
FFMatt OwiesHarry LemmeyJesse Motlop
FOLMarc PittonetGeorge HewettSam Walsh
INTBilly WilsonMatthew KennedyJack CarrollOrazio Fantasia
SUBJaxon Binns

Think Wilson needs to be strongly considered this week to give us a back seven without needing to throw Williams back in defence. If Fantasia/Wilson aren't fit as they are still returning from injury Lord/Moir would be next in line and I would still be very happy to see either in the team. Really difficult week for the match committee.

I know people are worried that our young players aren't ready, but what makes them any different to young players from other clubs?

Looking at teams from last weekend.

West Coast are playing Harvey Johnston - turning 19 this week, Pick 49 in last year's draft. Also Clay Hall, 19 a few months ago, Pick 39 in last year's draft. We know about Reid and Ginbey and they were ready to go from day one.

Swans played Caiden Cleary - 19.

North are playing 1 18 year old and 2 19 year olds.

Lions are playing a 19 year old.

GWS are playing Harvey Thomas, just turned 19 and looks like he's 12.

Essendon are playing an 18 year old and a 19 year old.

Gold Coast are playing 4 19 year olds.

Melbourne are playing a 19 year old.

Port are playing an 18 year old.

Hawthorn played 2 19 year olds against us.

Richmond played 2 19 year olds.

St Kilda played an 18 year old, turning 19 this week.

Adelaide played 2 19 year olds.

Sometimes you just bite the bullet and see what you have.

From my count. 17 on the injury list. 27 to pick from.

1 of those is from Ireland and been playing aussie rules 6 months.

Voss will go conservative. Which is fair enough, he still needs to try to make finals.

I think we're pretty cooked from here, so I'd love to see a few debuts. See what the kids can do. And have a look at a couple at AFL level before we delist them.

No interest in seeing Young. He isn't our guy. Roll the dice on Dom and take a look at him.

Play Kemp forward.

Give Lemmey a taste.

Give Lord a taste.

Give Wilson a taste.

Give Moir a taste.

Out - McKay, Charlie, Martin, Fog, Saad, Boyd

In - Lemmey, Akuei, Moir, Wilson, Lord, Carroll

FB - Cowan Weitering Wilson
HB- Newman Akuei McGovern
C- O.Hollands Cripps Acres
FOL- Pitto Walsh Hewett
 HF- E.Hollands Kemp Williams
FF- Motlop Lemmey Owies
Int- Kennedy, Cincotta, Lord, Carroll
Sub- Moir

im still feeling pretty upset about the last 6 weeks. Id also considering dropping Ollie for Binns, and also Pitto for Mirkov.

This is what I think Voss will do.

Cowan Weitering Newman
Cincotta Kemp Williams
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands McGovern Fantasia
Owies Young Kennedy
Pittonet Hewett Walsh

Int: Binns Motlop J Carroll C Durdin

Sub: Lord/Lemmey

He may be tempted to leave Williams forward and play one of Acres or Kennedy down back. I think Kennedy will stay forward though as he will be full forward when Young is rucking.

Our small forwards are going to have to get really busy, and our midfielders are going to have to lower the eyes. Who knows ... maybe this fixes our bombing long issue?
Acres can't tackle atm with his shoulder so too big a risk down back, would be Kennedy if it came out of those 2 playing in defence.

I know people are worried that our young players aren't ready, but what makes them any different to young players from other clubs?

Looking at teams from last weekend.

West Coast are playing Harvey Johnston - turning 19 this week, Pick 49 in last year's draft. Also Clay Hall, 19 a few months ago, Pick 39 in last year's draft. We know about Reid and Ginbey and they were ready to go from day one.

Swans played Caiden Cleary - 19.

North are playing 1 18 year old and 2 19 year olds.

Lions are playing a 19 year old.

GWS are playing Harvey Thomas, just turned 19 and looks like he's 12.

Essendon are playing an 18 year old and a 19 year old.

Gold Coast are playing 4 19 year olds.

Melbourne are playing a 19 year old.

Port are playing an 18 year old.

Hawthorn played 2 19 year olds against us.

Richmond played 2 19 year olds.

St Kilda played an 18 year old, turning 19 this week.

Adelaide played 2 19 year olds.

Sometimes you just bite the bullet and see what you have.

I judge them on the work put in and how bad are their weaknesses

I watch most VFL games and go to many live

Wilson I rate highly. Will play a lot of AFL but hasn’t played a lot of football this year because of injury and concussion

Moir - Didn’t have a pre season because of injury and can’t run out a game at VFL level. Starting to improve but wouldn’t last a quarter at AFL level

Lemmey - is weak at the contest. Lacks effort and mongrel. Has played okay last few weeks

Young players that are ready are Lord & Binns. Playing well each week and run out games

Mirkov playing okay and finally fit after health issues

I’m all for playing the kids but you can’t play them all at once and not when they are a long way from being ready

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back