Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know people are worried that our young players aren't ready, but what makes them any different to young players from other clubs?
The difference is most clubs give their young players a taste throughout the year to help ensure they're ready. Our selection team does everything in their power to ensure they don't. Maybe now we'll see some kids? Probably 50/50 we just go in a couple short to prevent that happening.

lord ,binns ,carrol ins fit and semi hardened would love to see wilson worried he and moir gas out ... kempy got to go forward need mcgoverns kicking into forwards . please no young forward total witch's hat either back or not at all ,give Akuei ago
Agree with this but I'd go Young ahead of Dom. Wilson or Moir sub? Worried Durdin & Fanta are underdone and should play VFL

So we have 17 players on the injury list,that leaves 21 left plus 4 rookies would I be right?
First number is right, and one of those will likely play (Fantasia).

45 on the list, so 28 fit, likely 29 to pick from.

I know people are worried that our young players aren't ready, but what makes them any different to young players from other clubs?

Looking at teams from last weekend.

West Coast are playing Harvey Johnston - turning 19 this week, Pick 49 in last year's draft. Also Clay Hall, 19 a few months ago, Pick 39 in last year's draft. We know about Reid and Ginbey and they were ready to go from day one.

Swans played Caiden Cleary - 19.

North are playing 1 18 year old and 2 19 year olds.

Lions are playing a 19 year old.

GWS are playing Harvey Thomas, just turned 19 and looks like he's 12.

Essendon are playing an 18 year old and a 19 year old.

Gold Coast are playing 4 19 year olds.

Melbourne are playing a 19 year old.

Port are playing an 18 year old.

Hawthorn played 2 19 year olds against us.

Richmond played 2 19 year olds.

St Kilda played an 18 year old, turning 19 this week.

Adelaide played 2 19 year olds.

Sometimes you just bite the bullet and see what you have.

Yep,
We keep hearing Lemmey isn’t ready.
Ready for what … nobody is expecting Stephen Kernahan levels from him.
Under normal circumstances we have the luxury of giving him time but cometh the hour cometh the young man.
Here are some big guys that have already debuted that are the same age or younger than 20yo Harry Lemmey.

Josh Draper Freo 20yo
Anthony Caminiti St.K 20yo
Mac Andrew GC 20yo
Harry Barnett WC 20yo
Max Gruzewski GWS 20yo
Aaron Cadman GWS 20yo
Ethan Read GC 19yo
Nate Caddy * 19yo
Calsher Dear Haw 19yo
Logan Morris Bris 19yo

An interstate trip and a game against the Eagles gives him a taste of where he needs to get to.
Something that should really drive him through his offseason preparations …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep,
We keep hearing Lemmey isn’t ready.
Ready for what … nobody is expecting Stephen Kernahan levels from him.
Under normal circumstances we have the luxury of giving him time but cometh the hour cometh the young man.
Here are some big guys that have already debuted that are the same age or younger than 20yo Harry Lemmey.

Josh Draper Freo 20yo
Anthony Caminiti St.K 20yo
Mac Andrew GC 20yo
Harry Barnett WC 20yo
Max Gruzewski GWS 20yo
Aaron Cadman GWS 20yo
Ethan Read GC 19yo
Nate Caddy * 19yo
Calsher Dear Haw 19yo
Logan Morris Bris 19yo

An interstate trip and a game against the Eagles gives him a taste of where he needs to get to.
Something that should really drive him through his offseason preparations …

All those players you’ve mentioned were fit, showing form and competitive.

Age is not relevant.

I have watched Lemmey closely and he isn’t close. He is slow and lacks effort. He’s been tried at CHB, CHF, Ruck and FF. Over past few weeks he has shown glimpses as a FF

I’m all for playing the kids but he isn’t close to being ready. He has never even been an emergency so isn’t close. If O’Keefe was fit he would likely play and is younger

Lord Binns Mirkov are more ready than Lemmey. Are we going to play them all?

Shows where we are. In the space of 6 weeks we have gone from a Top 2 side to one that is considering playing kids that aren’t close to being ready

I'm sick of the "he isn't ready" crap.

Only international/project pick-ups can that be applied.

A ND pick? It's one thing to build muscle but it does NOT take 2 whole years for a draftee to learn a game plan.

Spare me the Lemmey isn't ready nonsense. I don't expect him to come in here over Young or Gov moving forward, but I won't take that crap as reason for him not playing.

Anything is better than crippled or injury-riddled has-beens. It's just that Voss and the coaches seem to love these types.

Age is not relevant.

I have watched Lemmey closely and he isn’t close. He is slow and lacks effort. He’s been tried at CHB, CHF, Ruck and FF. Over past few weeks he has shown glimpses as a FF

I’m all for playing the kids but he isn’t close to being ready. He has never even been an emergency so isn’t close. If O’Keefe was fit he would likely play and is younger

Shows where we are. In the space of 6 weeks we have gone from a Top 2 side to one that is considering playing kids that aren’t close to being ready

The season’s been blown to hell already.
Would do Lemmey more good than harm to experience an AFL level game and all that goes with it.
If, after a few pre seasons and a few VFL seasons Lemmey can’t handle a taste at senior level it begs the question … what the bloody hell have our development, reserves and line coaches even been doing with him all that time …

The season’s been blown to hell already.
Would do Lemmey more good than harm to experience an AFL level game and all that goes with it.
You don’t know that. Lemmey is very immature and lacks confidence. It’s a mental game for him as opposed to physical. That’s why he slipped so much in the draft

Playing him could easily make it worse

Age is not relevant.

When you have up to 17 players unavailable the options are quite limited hence players potentially playing that are not ready.

Maybe not a bad thing to have a look at some young players with a view to next year.

You don’t know that. Lemmey is very immature and lacks confidence. It’s a mental game for him as opposed to physical. That’s why he slipped so much in the draft

Playing him could easily make it worse

It’s a single game of football for goodness sake.
We’re not asking him to cross the Sahara Desert …

It’s a single game of football for goodness sake.
We’re not asking him to cross the Sahara Desert …

Then what’s the benefit? Make up your mind

Remember Jack Watts first game? Never recovered

Need to understand the player and what he is capable of handling

How will be go on McGovern, Barrass, Edwards or the more mature bodies? He gets pushed around badly at VFL level

I get the impression many comments and wants on here at the moment are more borne out of frustration and anger than reality and facts

Then what’s the benefit? Make up your mind

Remember Jack Watts first game? Never recovered

Need to understand the player and what he is capable of handling

Shows him the level first hand and what he needs to strive for.
Sometimes young blokes can surprise when given an opportunity …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back