Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not keen on seeing a whole heap of young players play even though I have picked the team that way in my guess but there are some who I think would hold their own. Binns, Lord and Wilson are two young guys I think would really hold their own. Lemme has improved a fair bit but my worry is his ability to bring the ball to ground and not be out marked. I think as a forward/ruck option he could be useful. Mirkov I have the same issues. If he was better in the air I think he would have played games by now. Moir would blow up pretty quickly. Motlop has stepped up to AFL and is struggling with the running and intensity required.

I think Lord could actually spark us to get us going. I just hope to go we don't see him plonked on a flank somewhere. If he plays with good intensity and runs both ways and lays plenty of tackles he provides something we deerly lack.

Binns is a smart player with good endurance. I've said it before, he's a little bit like Sidebottom as a winger. Short, not overly quick, just keeps getting the ball.

Wilson I have been excited about since drafting him. He's a good runner and a good size. I think he may be the sort of guy who can play in his first season. I'm not expecting him to have 20 disposals and run both ways off a flank but I do think he could hold his own out there.

Lets not forget WCE are one of the weaker sides in the game. Who says we shouldn't be expecting to go over there with a heap of young guys and win?

If we somehow still make finals from here then that's a good sign for us. Another taste of finals football. We go into trade week as a team which has made finals in two consecutive seasons.

If I was going to take the gamble on a Youngster this weekend it would be Wilson. Hasn't played much but looks ready made and doesn't shirk a contest.

Lord is ready and will do well. I have no doubt

Don't like the idea of Fanta returning for this one. Much prefer the youthful exuberance of Billy Wilson.
Me too. We have had a reputation for bringing low grade player straight back into the team like they are superstars like with Cottrell.

I want to see Wilson play as well. Back him in to do a job. But I think Cincotta probably goes back and Fantasia will come in somewhere. Durdin as well, though I trust his shoulder about as much as he probably does which is bugger all.

If I was going to take the gamble on a Youngster this weekend it would be Wilson. Hasn't played much but looks ready made and doesn't shirk a contest.

Lord is ready and will do well. I have no doubt
Wilson is just an AFL player in my eyes. No need for development or any of that, he's made for the level.

He's quick and tough and in his under 18 level was a good user. He's everything we need.

Lord could be just what we need. He chases. He has the ability to cover 3 or 4 meters at speed and close in on a ball or an opponent which our onball group lacks. I'm being optimistic but he could have a really big impact. All we need is one or two of our onabll group to chase and tackle well and apply pressure and our season turns around.

Binns is a player I want to see play a full AFL game on the wing. Sometimes these smart wingers actually go well at this level. There is something for being open and available everytime we go forward. Also runs well defensively.

We aren't going to get the season turned around by the same old players. That's been done and failed. So it's time to play some talented youth.

Me too. We have had a reputation for bringing low grade player straight back into the team like they are superstars like with Cottrell.

I want to see Wilson play as well. Back him in to do a job. But I think Cincotta probably goes back and Fantasia will come in somewhere. Durdin as well, though I trust his shoulder about as much as he probably does which is bugger all.

Same but all information seems to point to no more debutants and Voss likes the mature players

Wilson is just an AFL player in my eyes. No need for development or any of that, he's made for the level.

He's quick and tough and in his under 18 level was a good user. He's everything we need.

Lord could be just what we need. He chases. He has the ability to cover 3 or 4 meters at speed and close in on a ball or an opponent which our onball group lacks. I'm being optimistic but he could have a really big impact. All we need is one or two of our onabll group to chase and tackle well and apply pressure and our season turns around.

Binns is a player I want to see play a full AFL game on the wing. Sometimes these smart wingers actually go well at this level. There is something for being open and available everytime we go forward. Also runs well defensively.

We aren't going to get the season turned around by the same old players. That's been done and failed. So it's time to play some talented youth.

100% agree. Wilson just looks a player. ONLY question mark for me is he has had a stop start season, just back from concussion and just finding his feet at AFL level. I know people keep saying throw them in (and in many cases I agree) but you need to look at the whole picture and if it's best for the player and the team

100% agree. Wilson just looks a player. ONLY question mark for me is he has had a stop start season, just back from concussion and just finding his feet at AFL level. I know people keep saying throw them in (and in many cases I agree) but you need to look at the whole picture and if it's best for the player and the team
He missed a bit of footy and I think that probably cost him a debut. IMO he was building towards it.

There's an idea that giving players a taste of AFL footy is a good thing. I think it has merit. It's a different game to VFL and the only way to improve is by playing it. But you do have to be good enough. I think he's good enough to play in the back line and do the basics. Stick on a good player, build up to playing your natural game.

I think if we are going to improve next season Wilson is going to be one of those player who assists in that. If Saad is on the way out, he's crucial.

In terms of playing youth. West Coast are a bottom side carrying some young players as well. I think if we are to do it, the timing is right. It will be an AFL game but a low level one. I can see us playing some young guys and getting the win still.

The good thing is we have plenty of quality senior players for these young guys to play around. This is not like 2015-2020 where we were young and the mature players were poor quality. This should be a good team to play a few young players in.

I think Wilson, Binns and Lord will hold their own. I think Lemmy, Akuei, Moir and Mirkov would struggle. Mirkov may win a lot of hitouts which may help us defensively but in other aspects would struggle. Moir could have debued 15 or 20 years ago when the role of the stay at home forward pocket was a thing. If Lemmy was just that bit better defensively, not getting out marked, then I would be quite keen to get a look at him. One thing you might get with Lemmy is they may not respect him and he might get one on ones. It's just the dump kick down the lines. Teams are really good at turning that kick over. The idea of Jeremy McGovern manning Lemmy is a little scary.

He missed a bit of footy and I think that probably cost him a debut. IMO he was building towards it.

There's an idea that giving players a taste of AFL footy is a good thing. I think it has merit. It's a different game to VFL and the only way to improve is by playing it. But you do have to be good enough. I think he's good enough to play in the back line and do the basics. Stick on a good player, build up to playing your natural game.

I think if we are going to improve next season Wilson is going to be one of those player who assists in that. If Saad is on the way out, he's crucial.

In terms of playing youth. West Coast are a bottom side carrying some young players as well. I think if we are to do it, the timing is right. It will be an AFL game but a low level one. I can see us playing some young guys and getting the win still.

The good thing is we have plenty of quality senior players for these young guys to play around. This is not like 2015-2020 where we were young and the mature players were poor quality. This should be a good team to play a few young players in.

I think Wilson, Binns and Lord will hold their own. I think Lemmy, Akuei, Moir and Mirkov would struggle. Mirkov may win a lot of hitouts which may help us defensively but in other aspects would struggle. Moir could have debued 15 or 20 years ago when the role of the stay at home forward pocket was a thing. If Lemmy was just that bit better defensively, not getting out marked, then I would be quite keen to get a look at him. One thing you might get with Lemmy is they may not respect him and he might get one on ones. It's just the dump kick down the lines. Teams are really good at turning that kick over. The idea of Jeremy McGovern manning Lemmy is a little scary.

100% agree with all of this ☝️

Agree with the above .. play binns , Wilson and lord , one back , one forward and 1 in the middle covered with experience … play small forward and kick that ball low and dirty and get to work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back