Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are have 3 debuts this week here is my take on those possibles after watching the reserves, training closely over last 3-4 years

Wilson - smooth mover, clean and good leg speed. Use the ball well. Been playing HB but has missed a bit of football this year because of injury and concussion. Had a great pre season and just needs a run at it

Mirkov - when drafted he looked great but has really stagnated. Heart operation over 12 months ago and is just now starting to look like a player. Feel as though he may be starting to realise potential? Last weekend was probably his best game. Ruckwork good but round the ground needs lots of work

Lord - Been very impressive. Hard working player that wins most ball on inside but can spread as well. Skills solid on both sides. Tough bugger who won't give up. Still only 19. Plays like Jai Newcombe

Moir - Said before the hardest to read but last few weeks have been positive. Didn't have a pre season so needs a lot of work with fitness but he is building. Still blows up quickly. Some things he does on both sides of body are special.

Lemmey - Talented but laconic. Has been tried in all Key position spots with limited success. Last few weeks he has looked better as a FF with some time in Ruck. Skills, ability aren't the issue, effort and competiveness are. There is some Lewis Young vibes around him. Hopeful he will mature

Akuei - Pure athlete that has been very inconsistent. Decision making can be iffy. Like Lemmey been tried in many spots. Seems to have settled at FB and showed some positive signs. Was very good on weekend

Binns - (Yes he has had 5 minutes as sub) Hard runner, can find it and won't shirk an issue. Questions of physicality BUT IMO his biggest issue decision making. He is a good kick but kicks it to wrong spost too often. If he can fix this he's a good player

Pity O'Keefe is injured as IMO he would play. Tough, big Ruck/fwd who is built for AFL football

Last edited:
We've gone from a Top 2 side and one of the flag favourites to being excited about playing youth. All in 6 weeks!

Feels like we have gone back to a rebuild all of a sudden. What a disaster
We're definitely not rebuilding. We've totally screwed this year up but we don't need to rebuild.

We've got a super core of players.

Just need to go away. Regroup. Tweak the game plan. Cull our injury prone players. Bring in some youth and a few role players.

Get everyone healthy over the pre season.

Get Doc and Jsos back.

No reason why we can't contend next year

Who's your 3 Soap?

If it was me and assuming Binns is not a debutant

Lord - definitely
Mirkov - Pittonet is awful/injured
Wilson - earlier than we would want, but is a natural runner and has the mental toughness to handle it

Moir as sub wouldn't be worst option and hope he doesn't have to come on before half time

We're definitely not rebuilding. We've totally screwed this year up but we don't need to rebuild.

We've got a super core of players.

Just need to go away. Regroup. Tweak the game plan. Cull our injury prone players. Bring in some youth and a few role players.

Get everyone healthy over the pre season.

Get Doc and Jsos back.

No reason why we can't contend next year

"Feels like"

I'm hoping we see some different thinking from Voss and the coaches this weekend

Surely, Kemp goes forward?
Maybe Cowan on a wing?

Just move some players and try some things, please
he needs a Leigh Matthews in the coaches box next to him saying wtf are u and what happen to my Michael voss I coached

Those saying lemmey isnt ready - WHY??

Check out these highlights from couple of weeks ago...

Whilst I agree that he deserves a crack this week, you should keep in mind that the Lions are going through a key defender injury crisis. He was up against a first year guy that went pick #51, whereas this week he will be going up against McGovern and Barrass - there is a massive difference and our expectations should reflect that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically we need to replace 4 forwards. Even if Kemp with 0 confidence at the moment goes forward.

Young, Moir, C Durdin and Lemmy are likely playing. Question is if Fantasia plays.

So we’re hanging our hat on one good game are we?

Reality is we’ve been sporadically good since the minute Voss joined the club, but some point you’ve got to ask yourself why is the club not capable of doing it consistently for long enough.

Nobody is questioning the potential. But the clock is ticking, our list profile gives us another 2-3 years to contend, and right now we are a long way off it.

If the administration can’t get the playing group consistently fit and motivated it’s time for them to go.

A late run in 2023 painted over the cracks.

Now it’s time for Cook to live up to his reputation and do something.
It's like tartar on your teeth. Build up of past coaches and boards haunting players.

• Mick fuelled by hate and agendas, was a coaches a hole when we landed him.
  • Bolton not supported enough tried to refresh and clean slate but losses mounted and slumps ensued.
  • Teague, out of his depth as a senior coach, politics he played to get the role bit him on the arse and our CEO was too focused on marketing and membership (staying in his comfort zone)
  • Voss - still feels the sting of his first coaching stint failure and has applied himself for 10 years to improve himself (credit due) but these improvements perhaps not as well rounded as needed (tactics anyone? trust in youth?). His fourth attempt at landing the gig as our senior coach......

- Lets also sprinkle in 6 years of Russell whos claim to fame is getting Charlie back on track (didn't know the man was a surgeon - of which the surgeon screwed up so we're told)

- List management politics.....

Until we get a clean slate and the stigma from the past coaching out of the players minds and sort out quickly and invest heavily in the short-mid term to a great Fitness team, strong List Management and recruiting, and better or more skills and line coaches... we'll continue to see this trend.

I don't think Voss is the greatest coach in the land. He may well end up another stepping stone that set the groundwork for the next crop and senior coach to finally succeed (which is what I think will happen).

2024 off-season and 2025 Cook and Sayers have the biggest job at hand in shaping the future of this club for 26 and beyond.

Kemp Young Cincotta
Cowan Weits Newman

Ollie Walsh Acres
Pitto Cripps Elijah

Owies Gov Kennedy
Motlop Lemmey Williams

Hewett Carroll Binns Lord Moir

• Young can play 2nd ruck. Potentially due to that keep Gov back and send Young forward.
  • Maybe Akui better option than Lemmey? Akui play back perhaps allows Young and Gov to both play forward
  • Kennedy forward as that 3rd aerial threat as we will really need it
  • Lords recent numbers in VFL look excellent so give him a shot
  • Moir higher draft pick last year so give him a run as sub

I think where we stand, best thing is to tell those kids now so they can get it out of their system and start focusing on their important roles ASAP.

edit: that's what I would do... but Vossy?
I think the players themselves will know but I just think they will delay announcing it to the public considering we are the last game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back