Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 28 players to choose from tonight so expect a large selection of debutant players to be in the squad tonight.
As interesting, to me, as the team selections is what role changes are made to the guys who are fit and carried over from last game.

You'd expect someone, maybe 2, from the back 6 are shifted forward. Anyone from the midfield maybe posted fwd/back?

In any case it'll be great to see how Coops goes and Binns get a full game in. Might be a good trial by fire for Lemmey, competitiveness has been questioned so maybe a sink or swim situation can bring something out him, similarly Moir who imo has floated along in the 2s a little.

The teams named tonight are unlikely to give any insight. Pretty sure any other possible debutantes will be named on the extended bench, and all but 2 fit players will miss out in being named.

The teams named tonight are unlikely to give any insight. Pretty sure any other possible debutantes will be named on the extended bench, and all but 2 fit players will miss out in being named.

The fact we haven't announced any debutants says to me we won't see anymore. Club normally announces it like with Lord.

ONLY possibility is a debutant is a reserve for an injury player and comes in late

My gut feel is we will bring in Lord Young Carroll Binns Durdin & Fantasia to replace the injured group. We will have to name some new players in extended squad as there is no one else

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact we haven't announced any debutants says to me we won't see anymore. Club normally announces it like with Lord.

ONLY possibility is a debutant is a reserve for an injury player and comes in late

My gut feel is we will bring in Lord Young Carroll Binns Durdin & Fantasia to replace the injured group
Only thing with that is it doesn't really give us much up forward. And also Durdin has only played one game in the VFL since returning from his own injury - I assume that was on managed minutes as well

I'm hoping the 3 debutant rumour is right from earlier this week. Think we need a bit of energy to be injected into this team.

Only thing with that is it doesn't really give us much up forward. And also Durdin has only played one game in the VFL since returning from his own injury - I assume that was on managed minutes as well

I'm hoping the 3 debutant rumour is right from earlier this week. Think we need a bit of new energy to be injected into this team.

I'm just reading between the lines. I would be amazed if we debut someone and not announce it prior. We normally have selected the side and told players by Wednesday at the latest

I'm just reading between the lines. I would be amazed if we debut someone and not announce it prior.
I think we will definetly announce it before final teams which is tomorrow at 5pm. I have seen clubs before name a debutant on extended bench on Thursday and then announce they are playing Friday morning. Might be something similar (I hope)

I think we will definetly announce it before final teams which is tomorrow at 5pm. I have seen clubs before name a debutant on extended bench on Thursday and then announce they are playing Friday morning. Might be something similar (I hope)

Very possible.

I know people are keen to see some youngsters player BUT the fact is we are still in finals contention and Voss has made it clear he backs in this group and we will bounce back this week.

Picking players that simply aren't ready after saying that would be a massive risk and not align with his comments. Also, Voss is very loathe to play kids. Right or wrong, that's just him

I'm not keen on seeing a whole heap of young players play even though I have picked the team that way in my guess but there are some who I think would hold their own. Binns, Lord and Wilson are two young guys I think would really hold their own. Lemme has improved a fair bit but my worry is his ability to bring the ball to ground and not be out marked. I think as a forward/ruck option he could be useful. Mirkov I have the same issues. If he was better in the air I think he would have played games by now. Moir would blow up pretty quickly. Motlop has stepped up to AFL and is struggling with the running and intensity required.

I think Lord could actually spark us to get us going. I just hope to go we don't see him plonked on a flank somewhere. If he plays with good intensity and runs both ways and lays plenty of tackles he provides something we deerly lack.

Binns is a smart player with good endurance. I've said it before, he's a little bit like Sidebottom as a winger. Short, not overly quick, just keeps getting the ball.

Wilson I have been excited about since drafting him. He's a good runner and a good size. I think he may be the sort of guy who can play in his first season. I'm not expecting him to have 20 disposals and run both ways off a flank but I do think he could hold his own out there.

Lets not forget WCE are one of the weaker sides in the game. Who says we shouldn't be expecting to go over there with a heap of young guys and win?

If we somehow still make finals from here then that's a good sign for us. Another taste of finals football. We go into trade week as a team which has made finals in two consecutive seasons.

I want to see heaps or tackling and pressure around the ball. Some energy. Some players who really want to be out there.
Lord and Cincotta to have plenty of onball time.

Cincotta is likely to go back to defence but I would like them to pick Wilson to release him around the ball.

It's been a long time since Carlton dished out any real pressure and physicality around the ball. If we can bring that back and bring our young guys into the game we are a good chance here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back