Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Who played well for the Blues in Round 5 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, let's dissect this loss, where we had more scoring shots and lost by 1 kick

What do you believe was the difference between winning and losing?
Very specific moments

#1 Owies stoopidity born of hackness born of not having small forward skills and mucking up an easy regulation goal when he was in teh clear and had options to give off anyway..he is a glory hound that isnt skilled enough to do the basics- =- also an awful defender- just awful - Fantasia based on exposed form - very ordinary at best
#2 Kemp and Williams brain fart moment
General Comments
#1 Midfield mucked up by having to play Kennedy as a HBF when Saad came off
#2 General slopiness around ground ball situations - has been happening all year - which incl;uses absolute crapola CBB performances especially with TDK as ruck - he has no idea where to tap or what to do his only objective is to jum,p over the other ruckman and get a tap
#3 Terrible kicking for goal

What I disagree with totally in comments I have read

#1 Pittonet played bad- dead wrong IMO - Pittonet playe very well especially for first game back we won more CBB with him than lost and HE won them himself and I bet the plan was to sub him off

On exposed form our ladder position flatters us massively.

We’re not playing top 4 football. Probably not top 8. Somewhere around 12th feels fair at the moment.

So far this year we’ve played one electric quarter against Brisbane. That is literally all we have done that suggests we are a genuine contender.

So much work to do.

12th? Nah, not buying into that narrative

Not at all

I'm interested in where we are as a team versus the competition as a whole, not after a few wins or 1 loss

But that's you. Others view the game differently.

I like to see progression. I like to see warning signs addressed. I want to see good decisions, and sharp skills. They won't always be there, but these things should be practiced enough to become second nature.

I think we have two golden gooses up forward and we are causing them to get beat up game after game because we don't give them good service. If we had fleet of foot, first touch small forwards at their feet, the chaos ball has its place ... but we don't. Durdin is our only express small forward and he doesn't instinctively rove packs very well. Motlop does but he's average pace. Owies does but he is slow. Fantasia can but he doesn't like contact, Fogarty doesn't do any of that because he's a defensive forward. We'd play 5 of them hoping to a contribution equal to 2 really good ones.

I guess we have a huge divide between our best players and our worst. Some real limitations.

I don't want us to be too scared to try to find the right recipe at selection time.

I'm starting to fear that we're simply not that good, certainly not where we hoped to be after last season. Sure we've banked some wins but we've been lucky. And looking at the fixture it could be a while before we win again considering our form and injuries.

Obviously our clearance work has been a major drop off. So frustrating to see us get first hands on the ball but not manage to execute cleanly so often this season. I don't blame anyone (including myself) for dreaming of a 2024 flag but we just haven't looked like it thus far. Sometimes it takes a loss to admit it. TBH even if we limped over the line I'd be pretty irritated by this performance. Dropping this game in the light of our next 5 weeks is brutal.

Last edited:
Voss talks about moments.

Forget how many goals and marks we missed, the game changed when Zac/Kemp couldn’t kill that ball in the pocket.

Owies walks into an open goal-Misses.

Cottrell/Hollands 2 on 1 late 40 out drops the mark.

Moments are the difference between winning and losing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Moments have been the difference because all of our games are so close. This just shouldn’t be the case with the amount of talent we have.

They had a whole week of planning and four quarters to build a plan to nullify Rankine and Walker. Reduce either of their outputs by even 10% and we win the game. The coaches knew the Crows were going to follow Freo’s blueprint and they had a forward line to match it. To me it didn’t look like there were any tweaks to our approach at all. In fact we made ourselves even slower with our ins.

Result today is on the coaches imo. Plenty of individuals had good games but the sum of all parts was not enough.

I like to see progression. I like to see warning signs addressed. I want to see good decisions, and sharp skills. They won't always be there, but these things should be practiced enough to become second nature.

I think we have two golden gooses up forward and we are causing them to get beat up game after game because we don't give them good service. If we had fleet of foot, first touch small forwards at their feet, the chaos ball has its place ... but we don't. Durdin is our only express small forward and he doesn't instinctively rove packs very well. Motlop does but he's average pace. Owies does but he is slow. Fantasia can but he doesn't like contact, Fogarty doesn't do any of that because he's a defensive forward. We'd play 5 of them hoping to a contribution equal to 2 really good ones.

I guess we have a huge divide between our best players and our worst. Some real limitations.

I don't want us to be too scared to try to find the right recipe at selection time.

I don't think any side will have it their own way for the season

Momentum is massive in a game, as well as in a season

We, like most pointy end sides will need to adapt

At some stage, we need to get methodical with our kicks to Charlie and Harry; we keep making nothing defenders look like stars cause all we do is bomb it long and hope the big boys do the rest.
That's ok if you got small fwds who are genuine goal kickers not tackle machines .. put any decent small fwd in our fwd 50 they would kick 45 goals a year minimum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the biggest reason I hate losing to the Crows is watching all our brave supporters queuing up to call Walker ‘racist’ from the comfort of their keyboards.

If the full story ever comes out around that incident i think a few would change their tune.

But back to our own team, our small forwards are obviously our achilles heel, and it showed again today. Even a half-decent small would thrive on the spillages Harry and Charlie create and the players they draw.

Had high hopes for Fantasia but it speaks volumes that he’s still getting a game in our side.

Given we are 4 and 1, I can take this loss on the chin. I'm not sure about others but it isnt unexpected given we have scraped some wins like Freo but lose this one versus Adelaide. Aside from north, we are what we are. A team capable of beating anyone and a team capable of losing to anyone not North/Hawks and WCE.

In terms of analysis, we are a list divided by superstar moments, collective team effort/brutality, and I have to say it, absolute calamity.

Who didnt even bat an eyelid when Kemp called out Williams to then drop the ball inside for Adelaide to regain and goal. At the start of that play, we had two Blues defenders ten metres clear. It was hilarious for neutrals.

Who didnt bat an eyelid when Owies stubbed his toes and running at a defender when he should of just stood and and snapped. Hilarious.

I didnt even bat an eye between now and last week over the ten + times Cripps started with ball in hand in the centre and then somehow the opposition team run away with it inside 50. It's happening a lot this particular season.

So many instances...that are then offset by charlie, Harry, other moments of sheer brilliance.

No so much about the winning but how we are playing right now. Its polarising from one moment to another.

So, im taking the 4/1. But that was as stupid a loss as Freo last week.

Imagine if papley did come over that year 🥺
I’m bullish on durdin

I think the biggest reason I hate losing to the Crows is watching all our brave supporters queuing up to call Walker ‘racist’ from the comfort of their keyboards.

If the full story ever comes out around that incident i think a few would change their tune.

Until I hear this full story he is still a racist bogan flog, and even then I don’t think there is anything that could really justify what was said.

Plenty of other ways to get your point across without being a backwards dickhead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 5 Blundering Blues give game away to Crows

Back