Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton-vs-St-Kilda.png

Carlton vs The Stains
Good vs Evil
Collingwood vs Dental practitioners

It's a tale as old as time itself, a once great club trying to claw themselves back to the top of the mountain versus a team better known for their eternal tale of failure, misery and boring Rossball brand of footy. Fittingly, the Stains are in a position that is all too familiar, too insipid to contend for anything themselves, their best form has manifested from the desire to ruin other teams finals hpes or as Ross the Toss anointed it "being the Grinch".

The Blues are bouncing back from a period of heartbreak, disappointment and confusion. A light belting of a pathetic Wet Toast team on the weekend has instilled a glimmer of hope amongst their supporter base, hoping that despite all the injuries Carlton can finally recapture their scintillating brand of footy which had them measured up as Flag favourites not too long ago.

And so we're back to the tale...
Carlton vs St Kilda
Voss vs Ross
Football vs Flood defense

The Blues will be hoping to see some star players return from injury in hopes of securing a spot in finals this season but the season as a whole has been a funny one. I think there's a lot of learnings the Blues will take from this year whether they make finals or not, the dependency of star players, the off field standards that have seen dozens of players go down injured this season, the high performance disasters that have seemingly plagued this list for years and years now. I have no doubt the Blues will bounce back in 2025 with the learnings of 2024 driving them towards a top 4 finish and a challenge for the Premiership, but there's still some stories to play out in the 2024 season still.

Patrick Cripps has been playing out of his skin all season and is rightfully the current favourite for the Brownlow Medal, he'll be desperate to experience finals footy once again and with the added incentive off winning a 2nd Charlie I expect nothing short of another herculean performance from the Skipper.

There's a few players genuinely playing for their careers and a spot on the list next season, most of whom are currently injured (as always), but for those who aren't they'll be desperate to show one last glimmer and earn themselves a future contract.

Then there's the players who have had their confidence dented this season. Saad, Charlie, Walsh, Acres, Ollie... There's a range of players across the park who are trying their arses off but for one reason or another haven't been able to find their form for parts of this season. Finishing the year strong will be at the top of their priorities so they can take that form into the off season and take the learnings of 2024 with them.

The overall outlook of the Blues should be one of desperation and hunger. Hunger to make finals, hunger to earn a new contract, hunger to get back to their best and finish things on a high... It's all set up for the Blues.

Meanwhile down at Linton Street the Rabble is full of confidence, with their season already up in smoke, the pressure is well and truly off the Stainers and that's where they do their best work really. They'll be desperate to ruin another clubs season so they can feel slightly better about their own insipid performances this year and then no doubt load up to do it all again in 2025 to remain in perpetual no mans land forever. But we know them well enough to know they'll be coming out guns blazing to try and shaft one last team before they sail off into the sunset in Cancun.

Voss and the boys know what needs to be done, injuries or no injuries. I'm expecting the Blues to give it their all and run over the Linton Street frauds to return to September once again.

Blues by 37

Last edited:
Out: C Durdin (inj)
In: Akuei

Thinking another tall athletic option might help prevent the intercept markers for the Saints.

This is a nightmare to pick teams for without an injury update... just to give you an idea, all these players will be a test for this week:

Williams
C.Durdin
McKay
Fantasia
Martin
Marchbank
Curnow
Saad

I don't think Martin will get up, but everyone else is a decent chance, plus we've got Mirkov, Lemmey, Akuei, and Wilson all in usable form.

Even if Curnow and Harry are available I’d love to see us keep Kemp forward. Having 3 big guys who all move extremely well would be a nightmare for the oppo and make us a lot more unpredictable. Would also allow us to push a couple of them a lot higher and be a bail out option for our defense down the line.

I hope we stay small and kick it in low and let our smalls go to work

If you want small for small, obviously Moir comes in, but we still need a sub. There's Wilson, Akuei, Lemmey, Monahan and maybe an underdone returning Fantasia. I'm just looking at the emergencies and who can go forward.

Even if Curnow and Harry are available I’d love to see us keep Kemp forward. Having 3 big guys who all move extremely well would be a nightmare for the oppo and make us a lot more unpredictable. Would also allow us to push a couple of them a lot higher and be a bail out option for our defense down the line.

I see the opposite. It’s been our issue all year. Way too predictable and we get picked off and sides run from our fwd 50

Today we went in low and our small forward pressure was awesome. If we didn’t score, we locked it in. It’s why WCE only scored 4 goals

How many sides now play with 3 tall forwards?

I believe these are the relevant permutations for the final round results:
Assuming GEE beat WCE and HAW beat NM (and stay ahead on %)...
  • CAR win & WBD win - 8th and play BL @ Gabba
  • CAR win & WBD lose - 7th and play HAW @ MCG
  • CAR lose & FRE lose - 8th and play BL @ Gabba
  • CAR lose and FRE win - 9th and miss finals

I see the opposite. It’s been our issue all year. Way too predictable and we get picked off and sides run from our fwd 50

Today we went in low and our small forward pressure was awesome. If we didn’t score, we locked it in. It’s why WCE only scored 4 goals

How many sides now play with 3 tall forwards?
Kemp stays fwd, Harry back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want small for small, obviously Moir comes in, but we still need a sub. There's Wilson, Akuei, Lemmey, Monahan and maybe an underdone returning Fantasia. I'm just looking at the emergencies and who can go forward.

My feel is Moir will be sub again.

I’m told Fantasia was close but not right and that’s why Moir got the call up.

I reckon we will go with Fantasia for Durdin but I’d love to see Wilson play

These are the final round permutations I believe:
Assuming GEE beat WCE and HAW beat NM (and stay ahead on %):
Would love to play Hawks again….stick it up those upstarts

These are the final round permutations I believe:
Assuming GEE beat WCE and HAW beat NM (and stay ahead on %):
Clarkson and North will have one final say…….it will be just perfect

Firstly we need GWS to beat Dogs. This gives us a few things:

1 - Port impetus to maintain 2nd to get the home qualifier so we have some security just in case.
2 - with a win we could go 7th most likely staying in Victoria - against Hawks who lost their best player today with Clarko not wanting to lose to his old mob and such will at least hopefully get his charges to put up a tough performance.

At the moment one change is a given with Durdin. But we need Harry back just to give Wilkie something to think about and get Kemp roaming as CHF.

My feel is Moir will be sub again.

I’m told Fantasia was close but not right and that’s why Moir got the call up.

I reckon we will go with Fantasia for Durdin but I’d love to see Wilson play
You think Curnow/McKay are a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back