Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe these are the relevant permutations for the final round results:
Assuming GEE beat WCE and HAW beat NM (and stay ahead on %)...
  • CAR win & WBD win - 8th and play BL @ Gabba
  • CAR win & WBD lose - 7th and play HAW @ MCG
  • CAR lose & FRE lose - 8th and play BL @ Gabba
  • CAR lose and FRE win - 9th and miss finals
And if we get the % over Hawks if both teams win? Say north fight really hard, and we somehow smash Saints?

And if we get the % over Hawks if both teams win? Say north fight really hard, and we somehow smash Saints?
If CAR get ahead of HAW and WBD win: Finish 7th and play WBD @ MCG (or Marvel not 100%)
If CAR get ahead of HAW, WBD lose and FRE win: Finish 6th and play FRE @ MCG
IF CAR get ahead of HAW, WBD lose and FRE lose: Finish 6th and play WBD @ MCG

My side

B: Cincotta Young McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Newman
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah Kennedy Owies
F: Motlop Kemp Williams
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Int: Lord Carroll Cowan Durdin/Fantasia (Moir)
Bit concerned about Williams - was called a hammy and then quickly corrected to cramp. Guess we will see on Tues

This is a nightmare to pick teams for without an injury update... just to give you an idea, all these players will be a test for this week:

Williams
C.Durdin
McKay
Fantasia
Martin
Marchbank
Curnow
Saad

I don't think Martin will get up, but everyone else is a decent chance, plus we've got Mirkov, Lemmey, Akuei, and Wilson all in usable form.

Marchbank won’t play for Carlton ever again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see the opposite. It’s been our issue all year. Way too predictable and we get picked off and sides run from our fwd 50

Today we went in low and our small forward pressure was awesome. If we didn’t score, we locked it in. It’s why WCE only scored 4 goals

How many sides now play with 3 tall forwards?
I think you do not play 3 KPF for the sake of it, but I don't really see Kemp as that, and furthermore I think Charlie and Harry are the exception, not the rule.

Charlie has great hands on the deck and roves with the best of them, while Harry is a freak and applies serious forward pressure. Put those 3 together - but I doubt it happens next week - and I'm perfectly confident so long as we continue with short leads and flat passes.

This whole 'leave it to Harry & Charlie to weave around in 100m laps to create something and if it goes to ground trap the ball' schtick was awful, and teams have long created a net to force a pack situation. Making every forward a target lowers the numbers in the contest but also wears down the opposition to allow for more direct long kicks as the game progresses.

Kicking to a quick lead should be the norm, not a faded memory.

I'm not sure who is good to go for this game but they wont be as easy as wet toast

They were unstoppable against the cats

We need to get the team selection right and our boys just have to play out of their skins..again

The next 4 or so weeks starts next week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see the opposite. It’s been our issue all year. Way too predictable and we get picked off and sides run from our fwd 50

Today we went in low and our small forward pressure was awesome. If we didn’t score, we locked it in. It’s why WCE only scored 4 goals

How many sides now play with 3 tall forwards?
Lots of sides play 3 talls. Sydney, Port, Fremantle for most of the season, Giants at times, Bulldogs.

Worked great today with no pressure up the field, and we definitely need to get the balance right. But against quality opposition, we're not going to have anywhere near that amount of time and space, and we'll need aerial representation for the hack kicks forwards.

Kemp was fantastic with his pressure, and McKay ain't no slouch for a tall. Curnow a concern with his ankle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My side

B: Cincotta Young McGovern
HB: Ollie Weitering Newman
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: Elijah Kennedy Owies
F: Motlop Kemp Williams
Foll: Pittonet Hewett Walsh
Int: Lord Carroll Cowan Durdin/Fantasia (Moir)
Good team. I'd rather Cowan at Half back and Ollie on the wing changing with Binns

No wearher. Need him to take some marks on the wing, chop out as ruck in the f50 and be a tall to keep Wilkie from intercepting everything.

We played in a bigger ground today with defenders such as McGovern Edwards Duggan etc and it worked well

Stopped us being predictable and helped us have better pressure . We won and won easily away and people now want to change what worked? We restricted a side to 4 goals and kicked 14 of our own

I really struggle with this

Durds was played where he should be today and was so good!
Can they just pop the shoulder back in and jab it/strap it and away he goes lol

Is dekoning any chance for this game?

I’d say fantasia if he’d ready, for durds and that’s about it.

Going to be a very big game this one, at a heaving marvel stadium

We played in a bigger ground today with defenders such as McGovern Edwards Duggan etc and it worked well

Stopped us being predictable and helped us have better pressure . We won and won easily away and people now want to change what worked? We restricted a side to 4 goals and kicked 14 of our own

I really struggle with this
West Coast is 3rd last, be honest their mindset was not 4 quarter effort. And conditions were not conducive for talls.

Ross is super proud and will put it on his team to stay focused. They play Marvel well. Dow might want to prove something and pull out his best game ever and Stocker. Membrey is fit again. They’re running well and defensively in sink.

We need to see how Kemp and Harry work together as if we make finals we need this re-crafted forward line getting tuned up.

At times we still bombed it down the line and were lucky the conditions were really blustery. At Marvel and against good opposition someone that can take a big contested mark to relieve pressure is vital.

Disagree but doesn’t matter. He won’t be fit to play

I think you do not play 3 KPF for the sake of it, but I don't really see Kemp as that, and furthermore I think Charlie and Harry are the exception, not the rule.

Charlie has great hands on the deck and roves with the best of them, while Harry is a freak and applies serious forward pressure. Put those 3 together - but I doubt it happens next week - and I'm perfectly confident so long as we continue with short leads and flat passes.

This whole 'leave it to Harry & Charlie to weave around in 100m laps to create something and if it goes to ground trap the ball' schtick was awful, and teams have long created a net to force a pack situation. Making every forward a target lowers the numbers in the contest but also wears down the opposition to allow for more direct long kicks as the game progresses.

Kicking to a quick lead should be the norm, not a faded memory.

I just hope Charlie and Harry were watching today and can see how important second efforts and defensive pressure are to team success.

I did and it's a small sample. Granted it was Ollie's best game for the club. Just not sure physically able to play in defence.
I agree - he was very good today and Id like to see him play there again in the future

id like him to build up a little in the gym as well - not too much additional body weight that it hampers his running but a bit more strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back