Autopsy 2024 Round 3 Bruising Blues Too Much For Roos

Who played well for the Blues in Round 3 vs North?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geth he played in 17 finals across 15 years, that doesn’t add 3 games per year across his career.

I just don’t see averaging 17 games per year as the return of an always injured player.

For context, Cripps averages less than 17 and I don’t think he’s always injured
When I think of a player as durable, I think of Gibbs or Simpson who rarely if ever missed games. Brown is not one of those players, having played 13 or less games in 4 seasons of his career (looked at the stats a little earlier, so could be wrong as I'm not now).

Cripps also missed an entire season (more or less) in his first, making whatever average you attempt to produce from him not terribly representative.

Carna Blues!

I mean that's what I'm talking about.
Turn up to play, professional display ensues, hard running hard hitting stylish four quarter performance, put away a team we should put away.

Did I mention carn the blueboys ?

Geth he played in 17 finals across 15 years, that doesn’t add 3 games per year across his career.

I just don’t see averaging 17 games per year as the return of an always injured player.

For context, Cripps averages less than 17 and I don’t think he’s always injured
In his last 9 seasons the Lions played 2 finals. Sadly once against us when he took 10 marks and kicked 4g 3b.

He retired after a shocking head injury mid season and missed the last 10 games of that season which also skewers the figures further. He was a pretty resilient player considering that he continually put himself in more danger than pretty much every player in the comp.

By all means have a crack at his media career but the bloke was a gun footballer who anyone would have been proud to go out into battle behind.

Poor North fans, shocking list management over the last several years.

They kept going for mids and now they have too many young mids and almost no key talls or defenders...horribly imbalanced.

Obvious one that stands out is picking Will Phillips over Logan McDonald. Sure, McDonald probably wouldn't be as good as he is right now if he went to North, but point still remains they had a top Vic key forward prospect there for the taking and yet they went for a mid. I remember at the time it was seen as quite a surprise and so far it's backfired big time.
McDonald is from WA

A big shout out to our recruiters/list management team.

Last three years, Hewy, Blacres and now Elijah.

I was so wrong about saying he should earn a spot in the VFL. He was enormous.

Only one game but he has gone past Cunners already I think it is fair to say.

Very exciting when new recruits come in and make the team distinctly better.

HOW BIG NEXT WEEK...........Two undefeated sides and our chance to beat the Adelaide Oval hoodoo.

GO BLUES!!!!

Not sure if anyone felt the same but seemed as if we hovered between 3rd - 4th gear throughout the game. As if we knew we had a couple extra gears but didn’t need it.

Still, 21goals/32shots is very impressive from a very even team effort.

On a side note, very bad timing for Cuningham to get injured because Elijah worked into the game very well, racked up touches and may have just taken his spot.

Umpiring: what can I say, you give north those soft holding frees at the beginning of the game, you have to give them at the other end and that’s all that happened, nothing more nothing less.

Got to be happy with that. With our propensity to have poor quarters and let weaker sides in the game, winning all four quarters and by almost 10 goals in the end is a great outcome. We looked the better side for the entire game, as we should.

We did cough up several gift goals again with clangers, and I’m far from sold on Marchbank over Kemp.

Big H utterly dominant. I’m rapt for him to show the haters what he can do. Is on All Australian pace right now.

Hewett back to his best form and a deeper mix of midfield options is looking good, too. Loving what I’m seeing from Carroll. I’d still like more pace in there, but I don’t think we have it on the list right now.

North have some great youth and a few key pieces… but gee they’ve got some gaping holes in the list, too. Good luck to Toby Pink, but the poor bugger looked horrendously outgunned trying to stop Charlie.
I suspect those north key defenders will turn out ok. Kallan dawson is showing some very decent signs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't like the booing of Fisher.

He asked for a trade but he would have been in the VFL all year with us and hasn't said or done anything disrespectful.

We'd really moved past him and that's ok
It was poor form. It was nice to see our boys giving him a pat during the game. There’s still a lot of respect and connection it seems

Who cares with J Brown says or thinks. Hes too stupid for his own good.

He did go on to say that at this time of year all you want to be doing is winning.

I don’t think he is anti-Carlton. He worships the ground that M Voss walks on and I reckon he’d be rapt to see him lift the cup as a coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is Harry McKay the best player in the competition right now?

Elijah Hollands: I did enjoy his skill execution, and his work-rate, particularly as the game went on and confidence grew. Terrific to see him working across half-back and marking it at half-forward, sometimes in the same passage of play. But what I really liked was his disciplined, selfless play. It would have been easy for him to try to do too much, in a bid to "prove" himself - but he brought his team-mates into the game instead, and everyone benefited.

He was the one right on the hammer of his opponent when Fisher and Corr messed it up in the back-pocket for North. He focused on making the spoil, knowing the ball would pop up for Carroll to kick the goal. I really liked that, even before he started pinpointing passes, kicking goals, etc.

And in not entirely unrelated news, Ollie Hollands was much better than he has been. Partly because North are too young to bring the sort of physical pressure that Brisbane and Richmond could, but pleasing nonetheless.

E Hollands has a bit of a ‘strut’ to him as well which is not a bad thing for our group.

Maybe a guy who thrives on the big stage rather than the relative backwater of the Gold Coast.

It was pretty novel to see the #20 do such things - and that's with all due respect to the previous wearer, who was a terrific servant of the Club. But it has been a pretty lean highlights reel since Fraser Brown hung it up.

Pay homage to the legend that is Geoff Southby. My childhood hero.

As impressive as his goal kicking, marking and general play have been, is there a better key forward in the comp defensively than McKay?

He chases and harasses as well anyone in the team, with full intent. One area where he's got Curnow well and truly covered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Round 3 Bruising Blues Too Much For Roos

Back