Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumor summary September 30
  • Cal Twomey confirms we are interested in James Peatling (link)
  • FiveAA claims we are after Scott Borlace, current Head of Development at Brisbane (link)
  • Claims of Rory Sloane heading to Melbourne Demons as a development coach
  • Inside Trading suggests we are interested in Gold Coast's pick 12 (link)
  • Inside Trading also suggests Clayton Oliver is possibly back on the trade table, but doesn't link him to any specific clubs

Last edited:
This has come up a bunch of times.

Elliot Himmelberg, Rory Sloane, Chris Burgess, Lachlan Gollant, Ned McHenry all off the list and one player moved from main list to rookie list. That's six.

It has also come up a bunch of times the T Murray has the Sloane list spot and came over on 18 months, so we are still one short.

I'm not quite sure we will, seeing it'll require demoting someone to the rookie list to fit him in. At the moment, we're looking at four open list spots on our main list as McHenry, Gollant, Sloane, and Himmelberg are without contract alongside 3 open rookie pick spots(?).

I hope we do find someone who is willing to take that bullet, seeing Welsh looks quite the player.

I think the mandate is you need three incoming players from any source (trade/draft/FA) and three outgoings. For instance, Collingwood only took two draft picks last year.

I would be surprised if we're upgrading anyone from the rookie list. I would equally be surprised if we're taking a pick past 4 in the ND, outside of maybe covering an F/S bid.
Being put on the rookie list means nothing, they still get paid the same and have the same chance of being selected to play

Strange if we are looking to bring in pick 12 when we are struggling for list spots.

Are we trading players out?
If we get Peatling and/or pick 12 I think Berry or Pedlar could actually go.

Berry I am ok with a second rounder but Peds would be a major disappointment and perhaps gone for lack of professionalism and injuries rather than potential.

GWS wanted him after all in his draft year. Peatling for Peds?

If we get Peatling and/or pick 12 I think Berry or Pedlar could actually go.

Berry I am ok with a second rounder but Peds would be a major disappointment and perhaps gone for lack of professionalism and injuries rather than potential.

GWS wanted him after all in his draft year. Peatling for Peds?
Wont be Berry after signing a new contract 2 months ago

OK, do you want a Brodie Grundy clone for us or a Will Day clone for us? I know what I want more
#4 gets an "A" class Mid ....with ROB 29 YO ...the next priority is a RUCK

List balance mate

Agree it’s unlikely but is there any contractual reason why it couldn’t happen?
Yes, AFL rules prevent a player being traded in the first 12 months after a Contract is signed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft for talent, trade for needs?????
So which Ruck are you trading in this year .....needs doesn't always match opportunity

So you'd overlook a Sam Darcy in the Draft .....Mmmm OK

Here it is

View attachment 2126713
This Smith situation is interesting. We all thought he had hit a trigger for 2025 in addition to his TV interview on he day of exit meetings where he seemed pissed off but determined to play on in 2025 (I had thought maybe we offered a 50-66% payout of his fixed contract for 2025 but he didn’t want this option).

Now reported no contract at all.

The truth will come out soon but you can see the potential for premature bed-wetting is very real here in so many situations.

Forward / mid . Still a possibility

Forward half smalls win grand finals and games in general
Absolutely this.

Don’t mind if we go a little Kaos ball at times next year with our quality of smalls when TT has a run on ball.
A taller inside outside running mid who kicks clutch goals would be nice to round things off.

Looking at Pedlar and Cook as two that have a huge preseason and breakout years next year.

Would go a long way.
Yes, totally agree ....Cook showed huge improvement this year, it's starting to click for him ......Pedlar, the kick in the pants last year he needed ....he would be aware of all the talent coming onto the list, a big motivation for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation Part 2 (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back