Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 144 84.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are overrating Perryman. He's a role player in positions we're not desperate for and have decent youth coming through.

I mean as a club we're passing on players like Elijah Hollands (or just not making any offer at all) which would have cost us a junk pick and a much lower salary, then handing over $850k for Perryman? Madness
Well, yeah. I would have absolutely agreed with pursuing Hollands, so I'm not disagreeing there.

But I think Perryman rolls into the combo mid role - he's not the purely inside of Laird/Crouch, and he's not Rankine who's distributes from the outside. But he has a midfield role, I think, especially with Dawson taking oin other roles at times.

Thinking about it further, it’s not a Bowes sitn. Oliver has way more runs on the board than Bowes. Ppl forget how good he has been. It’s more of a Grundy situation. We probably wouldnt get a pick back, but would save the top 10 pick he would otherwise cost.
Yeah I struggle to see how we would get a top pick.
I'd favour giving up a second rounder in order to reduce the contract by 300k.

Twomey said a club has offered Perryman 7 years. Didn't say which club and didn't mention our supposed offer – so I guess there's a chance it's us.

I wonder what clubs think $300k of cap space is worth in pick terms? Genuinely have no idea. I imagine it’s worth more to clubs who need it (eg Carlton) than those who have too much (like us). If that’s right, deals could be done.

I wonder what clubs think $300k of cap space is worth in pick terms? Genuinely have no idea. I imagine it’s worth more to clubs who need it (eg Carlton) than those who have too much (like us). If that’s right, deals could be done.

Is the only thing thats changed between now and when we made a play for Oliver last year his form? Ie we were happy to take on his contract back then?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remember Rankine was staying at GC and then it was Essendon had a monster contract on the table - and a week or two after we were linked heavily
I think the later we are linked the more likely it is to be true.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Both these things were 100% true at the time they were reported, but players can change their mind as the trade period draws closer.

Twomey said a club has offered Perryman 7 years. Didn't say which club and didn't mention our supposed offer – so I guess there's a chance it's us.
Surely there is a clause for the final year or two of a contract that size, or it's heavily front or back loaded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petty has had a pretty big fall in value too. Melbourne could have cleaned up last year if they traded both.
TBH I never understood why people rated him so highly in the first place. I feel like his value was massively over inflated by last years tall defender insanity.

His current value is where I would have always rated him. I.e. Handy swingman key position player.

So has everyone gone off on Ralph's rumour? Or has it been substantiated by someone more trustworthy?
Who cares? A player is mooted to be available - posters look at his stats and career and are making assessments on yes or no

It doesnt matter if we are or are not

Is the only thing thats changed between now and when we made a play for Oliver last year his form? Ie we were happy to take on his contract back then?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We didn't "make a play" for him. We simply made a polite enquiry at a late stage, and were told that he wasn't available.

I guess the question I'd have is, here's a sample best 22 for 2025

B Worrell - Butts - Michalanney
HB Nankervis - Murray - Hinge

R O'Brien - Dawson - Rankine
C Sholl - Crouch - Soligo

HF Cook - Fogarty - Rachele
F Keays - Walker - Thilthorpe

I Curtin - Pedlar - Laird - Pick 4 - Dowling

Next Up Milera - Taylor - Berry - Ryan

Which player are we swapping out for that Perryman price?

Even if it's to replace Crouch and Laird (if you're optimistic about that happening) we already have guys lining up for those roles. Is Perryman really a six year, $850k p/a midfielder?
How often is the best 22 on the park.

We need more experienced depth as currently we have little.

Look if we are throwing the money around, i want them to throw some of it at Dan Curtin to get him to extend. Show him like Rachele and Soligo we mean business and see him as a cornerstone of our future. I can see why his team may hold off but make it big and tempting. We are going to regret it big time if he leaves in a year or two's time.
We would probably need to start playing him 1st!

Would definitely rather Cumming. Cheaper, fills a need, and arguably the same quality. I like Perryman but at the price we’re paying I’m not sure the trade-off is worth it. We need to find more midfield space to fit Curtin, Taylor, pick 5, not less.

I like that we are forcing Hawthorns offer for Perryman up. Means they will have less for Battle, keeping the compensation in Band 2.
We aren’t his manager is. That is the value everyone is going off. It was the same thing last year with Rankine, everyone on the media list it that we’d offered him 850-900k when we finally did sign him it was less than the reported offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Back