Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 28 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 146 83.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, yeah. I would have absolutely agreed with pursuing Hollands, so I'm not disagreeing there.

But I think Perryman rolls into the combo mid role - he's not the purely inside of Laird/Crouch, and he's not Rankine who's distributes from the outside. But he has a midfield role, I think, especially with Dawson taking oin other roles at times.
Can I ask how so many posters know we didnt ask about, or even pursue, Hollands? Look perhaps (probably?) we didnt - I really have no idea but just interested how others are aware (perhaps I have missed official comms from the club confirming we had no interest in him etc).

But I know for a 100% FACT we have chased quality players in recent years and the information was never even speculated about in the media.

Perryman would be a top 10 player in our team. He goes in past almost everyone

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not sure where we’d actually play Perryman so including both inside and outside players (including half backs).

Inside/outside players who should be prioritised over Perryman for development purposes:

• Max
  • Nank
  • Curtin
  • Soligo
  • Taylor
  • Pick 5 (?)
  • Dowling (?)
  • Ryan (?)

Inside/outside players who are better than Perryman:

• Dawson
  • Rankine
  • Hinge
  • Crouch (age may be a factor here though)

Inside/outside players who Perryman is better than

• Jones
  • Laird
  • Berry
  • Smith
  • Sholl (?)

Yeah surely we could have taken a huge chunk of this Perryman money and allocated it for Moyle
firstly remember alot of this speculation ends up being wrong. Remember the rumoured Rankine at 5 years on 850k etc. And Yeo at 900k for 3 years. I would be very surprised if 850k is true thinking about it further esp if its 150-200k above GWS and Horks offer. But yes we are in a high inflation environment and players are getting crazy $ so maybe it is. We just dont know for sure.

We also dont know we didnt chase Hollands unless the club confirmed it publicly. We have chased players in recent years - top 3 players at their club - which never made any media (from THE real horses mouth). The fact we were never linked publicly to Hollands doesnt mean we didnt chase him. But a Victorian lad - and a party boy based on previous facts - returning to his home state, much bigger city, a team contending for the flag THIS year and also the same club his brother plays at...a number of reasons why he would clearly want to join Carlton vs us.

Glad we're going hard for Perryman and Cumming. We have tons of cap space, they'd improve our 23, and they'd raise the competitive standard/pressure across the entire list. No-brainers. The only small risk is that the money we'd be paying them upsets some other players.

Oh well, seeya.
Of course we can improve it, if we target areas that need improving. Like our core midfield with elite talent, our small forward stocks, our ruck.

Does Perryman actually improve our team significantly, to the tune of $5 million, instead of playing someone we already have?

He's a good player, but he's closer to the role player end of the scale than star end of the scale. So the question has to be asked whether it's worth that sort of cash to replace one of our role players off half back, the wing, 2nd midfield rotation

Both Crouch and Laird need to go. Spreadless, damageless stat padders make us worse. Anything that allows those 2 to be moved on or played away from our midfield instantly makes us better. As long as it’s not a like for like swap.

Oh well, seeya.

Both Crouch and Laird need to go. Spreadless, damageless stat padders make us worse. Anything that allows those 2 to be moved on or played away from our midfield instantly makes us better. As long as it’s not a like for like swap.

Do you honestly believe the club would recruit Perryman to replace Crouch or Laird?

He'd be replacing the Nankervis, Dowling, Taylor, Cook types in our side

At least Neddy will have a fishing mate if we recruit Perryman who is also a dedicated fisho...

I reckon Ned is genuine 50/50 to stay on the list. I suspect he may be Jimmy Rowed (signed or delist based on who ends up coming in via draft and trade)

For example if we were to get a Benny Barrett then he would likely be gone - if no similar player comes in then he would get another year. Will be interesting how that rolls

Of course Benny is likely out of our reach now even if we wanted him based on the AFL mooted rule changes from yesterday

Would love to see a breakdown of players who are on front loaded contracts who in turn demand a trade while still under contract.

I’d love the AFL to release clubs’ current season and forward contract commitments by year. The only issue that I see is that if there’s only one player contracted for say 2032, then you’re effectively disclosing that players salary for that year. Still, it doesn’t mean that’s the average, but I’d imagine it would cause a stir. So perhaps you only release the numbers once a threshold of contracts has been reached.

I think you are overrating Perryman. He's a role player in positions we're not desperate for and have decent youth coming through.

I mean as a club we're passing on players like Elijah Hollands (or just not making any offer at all) which would have cost us a junk pick and a much lower salary, then handing over $850k for Perryman? Madness

Elijah Hollands failed the character test within our mission statement

I reckon Ned is genuine 50/50 to stay on the list. I suspect he may be Jimmy Rowed (signed or delist based on who ends up coming in via draft and trade)

Personally think his continuing non selection is illuminating. GONESKI in my view.

Besides Sloane and Parnell (small chance Tex goes) are there any more obvious cuts to make? (Dragon likely Giants bound and Berry to Saints rumour seems to have traction with Berry putting off contract talks - I expect he is gone and we need to get Saints second rounder). Some assumed outs like Sholl and Bond have firmed up their positions recently.

Ned’s Manager almost seemed resigned to the fact he was getting flicked the other week in his public messaging

Do you honestly believe the club would recruit Perryman to replace Crouch or Laird?

He'd be replacing the Nankervis, Dowling, Taylor, Cook types in our side

I’m allowed to hope. What is certain is that the amount of experience in the 22 matters. Bringing in more experience will allow them to look closer at some player’s actual contribution to our overall footballing performance.

Any news on any of the SA developmental rucks that are currently in the 2's of other teams?

I.e. Keeler, Barnett, Goad etc?

Can't recall seeing any of them playing at AFL level, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a walk on improvement to our ruck situation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on any of the SA developmental rucks that are currently in the 2's of other teams?

I.e. Keeler, Barnett, Goad etc?

Can't recall seeing any of them playing at AFL level, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be a walk on improvement to our ruck situation
Keeler's not a ruck he's played a mix of Key Forward and Key Back for the Sandringham Zebras, Key Forward last year and Key Back this year, Barnett is struggling at WAFL level, Goad has been awful at VFL even considering he's very raw, appears miles off it.

You'd have to be joking re an improvement on O'Brien and Strachan, none of them would geta look in against our 2 blokes currently.

Can I ask how so many posters know we didnt ask about, or even pursue, Hollands? Look perhaps (probably?) we didnt - I really have no idea but just interested how others are aware (perhaps I have missed official comms from the club confirming we had no interest in him etc).

But I know for a 100% FACT we have chased quality players in recent years and the information was never even speculated about in the media.
What did he go for? Packet of chips on a 1 year deal?
Don’t think we were too excited by him.

Personally think his continuing non selection is illuminating. GONESKI in my view.

Besides Sloane and Parnell (small chance Tex goes) are there any more obvious cuts to make? (Dragon likely Giants bound and Berry to Saints rumour seems to have traction with Berry putting off contract talks - I expect he is gone and we need to get Saints second rounder). Some assumed outs like Sholl and Bond have firmed up their positions recently.

Ned’s Manager almost seemed resigned to the fact he was getting flicked the other week in his public messaging
Keane also a possible departure. He’s contracted, I like him and I’d be holding him to contract unless the deal was firmly in our favour

For example if we were to get a Benny Barrett then he would likely be gone - if no similar player comes in then he would get another year. Will be interesting how that rolls

Of course Benny is likely out of our reach now even if we wanted him based on the AFL mooted rule changes from yesterday

He’d probably also accept the AFLPA minimum contract to stay on the list. He’s building his other income streams here and I doubt anyone is offering more than the $150k + $5k/game base contract. And nor is he likely to have better earning potential for the time requirement for a year or 2.

Keeler's not a ruck he's played a mix of Key Forward and Key Back for the Sandringham Zebras, Key Forward last year and Key Back this year, Barnett is struggling at WAFL level, Goad has been awful at VFL even considering he's very raw, appears miles off it.

You'd have to be joking re an improvement on O'Brien and Strachan, none of them would geta look in against our 2 blokes currently.
OK good to know. Do you think Barnett would be worth a list spot if he became available?

From his draft year his disposal seemed very tidy. And seemed athletic enough to cut it at AFL level once he got up to speed.

Keane also a possible departure. He’s contracted, I like him and I’d be holding him to contract unless the deal was firmly in our favour
Also note that Keane & Parnell are both on the rookie list, so their departures do not automatically create a vacancy on the senior list.

Either way the evidence would suggest we weren’t overly interested
We probably enquired, but were told "no thanks" - given all the reasons he had for joining Carlton.

There's not a lot of point in pursuing players who simply aren't interested in living in SA and/or joining the Adelaide Football Club.

How is Verrall tracking? Out of contract this year I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 23, last 22nd August)

Back