Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Will we land a big fish?

• Yes

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 157 82.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Clayton Oliver's success at our club would be tied directly to Nicks. Their failure or success would go hand in hand. Either

A) Nicks has truly transformed the culture of our club, and this strong culture would allow us to support Oliver and transform him into a better player and person

Or

B) Nicks having improved our culture is a lie, we actually don't have the culture or supports to bring in Oliver and he will fail miserably here. In which case the only benefit that Nicks has brought to the club is also a lie.

I'm all for Oliver. You only have so many years of Dawson, Fogarty and Rankine at peak and you have to make the most of them.

Especially as this decline has more than a whiff of this being self inflicted by Melbourne.

I'm all for Oliver. You only have so many years of Dawson, Fogarty and Rankine at peak and you have to make the most of them.

Especially as this decline has more than a whiff of this being self inflicted by Melbourne.

Melbourne has more than once thrown their players under the bus. They torched Oliver in the media last year and more recently torched their rucks in a press conference

I agree; it's been flooding the comments section lately. It's like these guys haven't had a good rumour in a long, long time.

I suppose though, when the time comes and we miss out, the box of tissues will be close by still to dry those tears
It’s not just this thread… and you aren’t helping!

That you're having to reach back over 25 years to a mid who went forward in his later years...that is pretty instructive.

Jars may have put away a few beers and pies but he didn't have the same destructive habits Oliver does.
Ok, more recent.

Isaac Smith was 32. Zach Tuohy was 27.

Brodie Grundy was 29. Taylor Adams 30.

Jeremy Cameron was 27 when Geelong got him, turned 28 in April of his first season with them. Eddie Betts was 27 when we got him.

Age alone isn't a write off. As with some of those above, age + contract will make him a cheaper option in terms of trade capital.

No way we’re paying a first and taking Oliver’s contract. It’s one or the other and I’d suggest we take his contract but he’s either free or we get a pick with him.
I like Kanes idea for a rare time. Get Dee’s first AND a heavily subsidised contract.

Fear is 6 years for a player that has gone off the rails and clearly there’s a risk things massively blow up here.

I know we have an assertive risk taking club but I am in 2 minds over this.

Not for me, think he’s almost done. The trajectory is not good. Also we have too many holes in our team. If we were closer, maybe take the risk but we aren’t. Let the demons pay him and keep him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I agree, but I get the feeling the club is out to get a big fish regardless of the cost so we can beat our chest.

Getting Oliver AND getting him back to his best would open our premiership window early

List profile next year:

Core of the side
Dawson - 27 years old
Rankine - 24
Fogarty - 25
Oliver - 28

Experienced role players
Keays - 28
O'Brien - 29
Hinge - 26
Butts - 25
Walker - 34
Laird - 31

Emerging Players
Rachele - entering 4th season
Soligo - 4th
Thilthorpe - 5th
Murray - 5th
Worrell - 6th
Michalanney - 3rd
Taylor - 4th
Pedlar - 5th
Nankervis - 4th
Cook - 5th

First Round Draft Picks
Curtin
Ryan
Edwards
2024 1st

A midfield in their prime, a range of experienced role players, and a great group of emerging players is finals material immediately and should be pushing for top 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but I get the feeling the club is out to get a big fish regardless of the cost so we can beat our chest.
Im not sure this is entirely true

Yes I do think the club reacts to perceived needs

I do think the club would be genuinely concerned but delighted that the fish jumped into the boat - its the smell they are concerned about

Getting Oliver AND getting him back to his best would open our premiership window early

List profile next year:

Core of the side
Dawson - 27 years old
Rankine - 24
Fogarty - 25
Oliver - 28

Experienced role players
Keays - 28
O'Brien - 29
Hinge - 26
Butts - 25
Walker - 34
Laird - 31

Emerging Players
Rachele - entering 4th season
Soligo - 4th
Thilthorpe - 5th
Murray - 5th
Worrell - 6th
Michalanney - 3rd
Taylor - 4th
Pedlar - 5th
Nankervis - 4th
Cook - 5th

First Round Draft Picks
Curtin
Ryan
Edwards
2024 1st

A midfield in their prime, a range of experienced role players, and a great group of emerging players is finals material immediately and should be pushing for top 4
2027 30 year Premiership tilt

Ok, more recent.

Isaac Smith was 32. Zach Tuohy was 27.

Brodie Grundy was 29. Taylor Adams 30.

Jeremy Cameron was 27 when Geelong got him, turned 28 in April of his first season with them. Eddie Betts was 27 when we got him.

Age alone isn't a write off. As with some of those above, age + contract will make him a cheaper option in terms of trade capital.
You've totally missed the point - would I take a 31 yr old Neale or 29 yr old Cripps? Absolutely. But both of those guys are still performing at A grade levels and importantly have looked after their bodies properly over the journey. Oliver is not playing at A grade level and has not been kind to himself with his lifestyle. Will he get back to his best? Maybe but probably not. There's a better chance he completely falls off a cliff and isn't playing at all when he's only half way through that contract.

On face value his personal issues seem deeper and doubt a change in lifestyle would help him return to the player of previous years.

I know Adelaide need midfielders, but I would not head down this path.
We certainly need the input of people who have mpre experience in the impact Oliver's situation will have had on his body longterm. It's not the same as having done a knee.

2 years is a long time in football. I'd prefer we go for players who are great footballers, not use to be. We absolutely should not be spending 1st round picks on any 28 year olds who's form has 'dipped'. If we have to take on some financial risk, then ok but not spending premium picks on a 'hope so'.

What you're not considering is why his form has dipped.
I don't think Melbourne would realistically be expecting a first round pick.

I would consider giving them their pick back this year, and a pick swap next year.

Personally after seeing Ainsworth resign, Petty resign - it feels more like the draft and trade media need to spice up a story. We are down to 4-5 players of interest that may change clubs so adding an Oliver story in fills some airtime for them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Has Petty re-signed?

Clayton Oliver's success at our club would be tied directly to Nicks. Their failure or success would go hand in hand. Either

A) Nicks has truly transformed the culture of our club, and this strong culture would allow us to support Oliver and transform him into a better player and person

Or

B) Nicks having improved our culture is a lie, we actually don't have the culture or supports to bring in Oliver and he will fail miserably here. In which case the only benefit that Nicks has brought to the club is also a lie.
Sheesh, that feel very high stakes.

There may also be NO environments that could bring Clarry back to something approaching what he was, as sad as that might be to consider.

A "good culture" may not repair what he's done to his body - if it has gotten to that point. It's also probably a bit naive to think a good footy club can overcome severe addiction issues - if it's that.

Last edited:
You've totally missed the point - would I take a 31 yr old Neale or 29 yr old Cripps? Absolutely. But both of those guys are still performing at A grade levels and importantly have looked after their bodies properly over the journey. Oliver is not playing at A grade level and has not been kind to himself with his lifestyle. Will he get back to his best? Maybe but probably not. There's a better chance he completely falls off a cliff and isn't playing at all when he's only half way through that contract.
Bryce Gibbs......

My take on Oliver is it's a pass unless there's an extraordinary deal to be had (e.g. we're paying half of his salary AND getting a 1st round pick ala Bowes). One red flag is probably needed for us to even have a shot at a marquee player (or else why would he and his original club part ways), two red flags is a stretch but you could possibly put risk mitigation measures in place, but three genuine red flags is just too much IMHO.
:triangularflag: Mega-contract (6 years at $1m+)
:triangularflag: Character / substance abuse issues
:triangularflag: Body and in particular shoulder which he's had reconstructed and has got to pose questions over longevity

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2024 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 25, last 28th August)

Back